Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
snorkelyn
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies! I think we were sold on CSR. I was excited about the siesta pool bar...thinking we could end each day there and the kids could play for a bit while the adults enjoyed an adult beverage. But, upon further investigation, I found out that it closes at 6pm! Bummer!
Does anyone know if there is any appeal for the kids at the other CSR bar, Laguna's? An adjacent beach or something? I suppose we could always bring a nightcap over to the playground area...good for the kids, but not as good for the adults.
snorkelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Hope you enjoy the taco-bell style theme and the out of the way location. I'd recommend port orleans or swan/dolphin!!
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2
Hope you enjoy the taco-bell style theme and the out of the way location. I'd recommend port orleans or swan/dolphin!!
Ha ha a little harsh but I'm with you on POR. I have stayed at CSR, CBR, and POR and ONLY recommend POR. We stay at the Poly as much as we can but when we can't afford it we stay at POR no questions asked. If the OP is use to deluxe accommodations or just the Poly in general, everywhere else is going to feel like a downgrade. To me POR has the deluxe feel on a smaller budget. Especially if you're interested in the various lounges/ pool bar, POR has a great lounge with fun entertainment that the kids will enjoy too. You can also order yummy appetizers there as well. If its not too late to change reservations, consider POR again. I know there are plenty of people who love CSR but I would be heartbroken to sub it for the Poly.

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #19
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Oops I forgot to add why I didn't enjoy CSR the convention center element made me feel like I wasn't at Disney, pool was very crowded, there's not really a beach just hammocks on a patch of sand (kind of misleading), gift shop reminded me of something that would be at an airport, quick service option was a headache (definitely not an in and out meal and the area for refillable mugs is tiny), the rooms reminded me of any standard hotel room, and the pool at night brought a more adult crowd (assuming this was because of convention guests). I know these seem like small complaints but when you're use to the Poly and all of the true Disney magic it has to offer, CSR felt like a nice La Quinta Inn. Some of this might have been a result of what time of year I was there but my experience is one that I have heard repeatedly on these boards. Okay I'll get off my soap box, I just can personally relate to the decision you're making and I wish I hadn't stayed at CSR. Either way you'll have a magical trip and there is no such thing as a bad day at Disney especially if you're staying on-site

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

We have not stayed POFQ of POR but we are completely in love with the Poly and we spent our last vacation at CSR to save money.

What we liked about CSR:
-Rooms are beautiful. Nice decor. Love the solid wood sliding door (vs curtain at other mods) to close off the bathroom vanity area. Mousekeeping was good.
-Bus service was great. No long waits and we always had a seat. Bus Stops are covered with some bench seating, overhead fans, music, and vending machines.
-Pools are fantastic. The Dig Site pool is awesome with a great slide, nice pool bar/CS poolside, playground area poolside and very nice, large, clean restroom facilities. The "quiet" pools are also very nice. The Casitas quiet pool was great since it is next to the fitness/spa area, there were both towels and a restroom.
-Nice variety of food and drink options.
-The theme/decor/landscaping is stunning and feels very deluxe.

What we did not care for:
-Rooms were much smaller. We knew this going in and planned ahead with hanging shoe and shelf organizers. It became an issue when I got sick our last night there and we needed to extend our stay a day. Such a small room made for an unpleasantly close environment when I needed rest and the kids and DH were tired of hanging out around the resort.
-There was a lack of urgency/importance at the food venues regarding my daughters food allergies and our last meal was almost a complete disaster when she was served egg noodles when I had been promised they didn't even HAVE any noodles containing eggs during our first visit when talking with the chef. It was not true.....
-The above as well as some issues with the front desk during my illness may have been complicated by the fact that most of the workers at CSR seem to speak English as a second language. Just be aware.
-Resort is very large. We stayed in a preferred room in Casitas and were so glad we did. It made the trips to the bus stop and El Centro much easier but it was a hike to the main pool. Because the main pool was only visited once a day, it made more sense.

For your problem related to drinks in the evening, you could have one adult go to the laguna bar and get a round to bring back to the main pool or one of the quiet pools. There is nothing super interesting for the kids at the laguna bar area other than looking at the water in the lake or sitting at one of the tables and playing with some brought-along toys, etc.

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Grace&Carolinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

I too have stayed at Poly several times and find I love CSR just as much. So, to each his own. I did not like the lounge at POR. I Know I am in the minority but Yeehaw Bob is not my cup of tea. I missed CSR when I was at POR. Siesta's is open til 7 for drinks. The grill closes at 6. I live on the beach so nowhere in Disney has more than a patch of sand to me but I still enjoy the large hammock and beachy area by the Cabanas section. I would check out the picture threads for whatever resort you're considering and decide for yourself.

DisneyDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

We are Poly lovers too. this go around we are staying longer, but have to do a mod to make it work for 2/3 of the trip. after going back and forth myself, I ended up choosing CSR too. It was between POR and CSR. We will be there 7 nights with the last 4 at the Poly GVCL. I will make it a great trip.

My kids are 16, 13, and 10 when we go. The pool and slide is most important to them. The are Poly loyalists, lol. For me, it is the room and palm trees that are needed. I like the duvets and the palms. I love the southern look for POR and the fact that you can ride on the boat to DTD, but the trees just are not the palms from what I have seen.

I am looking forward to it all!
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6

Last edited by mickey2minnie1; 02-14-2013 at 05:56 PM.
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2minnie1 View Post
We are Poly lovers too. this go around we are staying longer, but have to do a mod to make it work for 2/3 of the trip. after going back and forth myself, I ended up choosing CSR too. It was between POR and CSR. We will be there 7 nights with the last 4 at the Poly GVCL. I will make it a great trip.

My kids are 16, 13, and 10 when we go. The pool and slide is most important to them. The ate Poly loyalists, lol. For me, it is the room and palm trees that are needed. I like the duvets and the palms. I love the southern look for POR and the fact that you can ride on the boat to DTD, but the trees just ate not the palms from what I have seen.

I am looking forward to it all!
Sounds like you have the right attitude. You will have a great time! I need that tropical feel when I'm on vacation too. The slide at CSR is awesome! We're trying AKL for the first time in
June for ten days. I am super excited.

DisneyDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelyn View Post
Our family of 5 spoiled ourselves at the Poly in 2010. We are going again in September for 10 days with my parents, and will need to stay Moderate this time. I am torn between POR, PFQ and CSR. Our kids will be 5, 7 and 9. We are willing to pay for preferred buildings, if needed. We want a family friendly place to have a couple cocktails at the end of a busy day. We really loved the pool bar at the Poly because the kids could play in the sand while we relaxed at the end of the day. We are also concerned about the bus service- which is why we are willing to pay for preferred. Food court is not important, since we will be doing a dining plan. It will be at least 2 years before we go again, at which time it will only be the 5 of us, and we will probably stay at an Epcot deluxe. Based on our wants...what would you suggest?
We stayed at Poly on our first trip and have stayed at POR twice since then. Staying at CSR this November for the first time. We're two adults, no kids. CBR does not appeal to me, and I don't care for POFQ. It's small size makes it feel much more crowded, especially common spaces such as the bus shelter, pool and food court. I prefer how spread out POR is.

POR's pool bar is on the small size and I don't love the main pool there. The lounge is decent however several nights a week Yee Haw Bob plays there and his show is certainly not conducive to relaxing and widing down after a long day at the parks. Think loud sing along type show. Many people rave about it but we don't like it, although outgoing kids might get a kick out of it.

CSR, from what I have seen, has a pool bar and an outdoor bar on the lake which looks nice. However, their indoor lounge is not Disney run and is a little more "upscale/night club" style. I don't believe kids are permitted, and there is a dress code.

The POFQ lounge is very small and also has entertainment during the week, and I can't picture their pool bar.

You say food courts don't matter since you are on the DDP - are you doing DxDP or do you not plan to eat at the resort at all? We found we used our QS and snack credits in our resort food court quite a bit, especially when grabbing something quick in the morning. POR has the best food court for this in my opinion.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #25
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Poly for a number of years before we decided that the price was cutting back our trips and we then stayed at the Coronado (CSR) nine out of our next elevent trips. We LOVE everything about it. We have never had an issue with the convention people (if you've got an issue with busines people being there then I suggest you not stay at the Contemporary, Boardwalk, Yacht Club or Beach Club or the Dolphin...all host conventions). The pool area is a huge hit with adults and kids, the playground is wonderful for kids. We like the Pepper Market a lot, but know it is not for everyone (but we also only eat one meal at our resort most trips as we are eating at other resorts or at the parks). With the exception of the rude, ignorant Pop Warner people, our last visit to CSR this past December was perfect.

That being said, if we were to stay moderate again (which won't happen for several trips as we now rent points for DVC) and the CSR were not available, the only other moderate we would give any consideration to would be POR-Riverside.

Last edited by KatMark; 02-14-2013 at 05:28 PM.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
tinawv
If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in WDW I would be a millionare :-)

Another vote for CSR. We stayed there for the first time in January and loved it. Was not crazy about the set up of the foodcourt, but the remaining amenities made up for it.

tinawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #27
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

I think CSR, CBR, and even POR (more or less) are all the same size- so I never understand the size concern. With that said I do think CSR and POR are more updated and less older feeling so those are the two I vote for- although I really like all the Disney moderates and am staying at CBR this time because I enjoy a change of pace.

I personally would choose between POR and CSR- just pick the theming you like better! Watch youtube vids, look at pics, show the grandparents, etc. You can't go wrong with either.

I'm not crazy on the POFQ theming. The little alligator statues are too cheesy to me and I've heard the pool can be considered a little kiddie to elementary aged kids.

Have a great trip!

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #28
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

One more thing to add- the CSR rooms blow the other mods rooms out of the water IMO! Much more deluxe feeling.

And also- I never saw one convention person when I was at CSR. I actually liked that it was a convention resort since it made the busses quiet!

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #29
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
I disagree with you on both points! CSR is actually a good choice for bus service, as it is close to the Animal Kingdom, the Disney Studios, and Epcot! Plus as a convention resort you end up with fewer people on the bus than you do at most other Disney resorts.

I've stayed at all of the moderate resorts, and I love POR too! But I would hardly call CSR taco bell! That is like saying POR is Zatarains!!!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #30
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude&jonah View Post
I think CSR, CBR, and even POR (more or less) are all the same size- so I never understand the size concern.
While they might be comparable in size, it's all in the layout.

CBR is laid out poorly with the property being elongated - if you are in the building at the furthest point, there's no place to walk to without making the hike to the main areas. CBR even has it's own internal bus system that solely circles the resort all day.

CSR is circular so everything is around that lake in the middle. If you're in the back, you have to go one way or the other around the lake. The good part about it is the main pool is in the back so you are at least close to one feature if you're room is back there.

POR has the river going through it which has bridges cutting across at certain points. That really cuts down on walking time. Only downside is if you are in the back of the AB section, but even then you just have to make it to a bridge. Of the three large moderates, I'd say POR has the best layout which makes it feel not as big IMO.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: