Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
DisneyFEB2013
Mouseketeer

Boarding questions for Southwest....

I have a question regarding EBCI on Southwest. Does it make sense to pay for our kids since they will have to go with one of us? We have 2 kids and 2 adults traveling. One is 4, so should we even pay for it for me since we can be seated during the family seating between A and B seating?

Help!
DisneyFEB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Tam1067
LOVES LOVES LOVES the Poly

I would not. If you board between A and B, you'll be able to sit together. Some people buying EB are reporting getting high A and even B group anyway.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
francie57
DIS Veteran

We buy it for all tickets. Not sure how old your kids are but most of the flights that we have used SW for to disney actually haven't had the family boarding between A and B since basically that would be most of the plane. For me I like not having to be on a computer at 24 hours before to get the boarding passes, especially when in a park at Disney. We have used it on each flight and all of our boarding numbers have been around A19 the lowest being A30. We already have it purchased for our flight to Disney in Aug.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

Every flight I have been on (and we go twice a year) had had family boarding. I wouldn't purchase it, but I would still check in at 24 hours as a backup.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We also go twice a year and family boarding has been hit and miss on the Southwest flights we've been on. Like a pp said, when over half the plane is families with small children it kind of negates the point. I've seen several flights when they just didn't.

Here is the bottom line for me. If I am concerned about sitting with my family, or my seat location, I buy it. I also don't want to worry about checking in at the 24 hour mark when I am in a park.

We didn't use it on our first few trips so we made sure to check in at the 24 hour mark on the dot. That was always good enough to make sure we were sitting together or at least 2 and 2. If you are worried about it, I would just buy it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFEB2013 View Post
I have a question regarding EBCI on Southwest. Does it make sense to pay for our kids since they will have to go with one of us? We have 2 kids and 2 adults traveling. One is 4, so should we even pay for it for me since we can be seated during the family seating between A and B seating?

Help!
I would pay for it if you are really concerned. When you say 'since they will have to go with one of us' - Just want to be sure you're not thinking - if adult one gets EBCI and ends up with A25 and adult 2 gets EBCI and ends up with A40 - that one of each kid will then load with you. That's not how it works (unless lap child). You line up specifically in order by boarding pass - so if child 1 has B13 - then he/she has to be in line at B13 (or at family boarding instead if applicable). If the whole family wants to board at the same time - they need to get with the family member with the HIGHEST boarding pass. So, it is OK for A40 parent to get in line with child at B13, but not the other way around.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
maurene
Mouseketeer

To follow on to what the PP's wrote...the "family boarding" rules are 1 adult per 1 child who is 4 yo or younger. So, assuming your other child is older, he/she and one parent wouldn't get to do family boarding (if SW enforces that rule).

I'm in a similar situation with my family of 4. I'm thinking of doing EBCI for my DH and older son. Me and my 3 yo son could count on doing family boarding. But still I'm debating if EBCI is worth the extra cost.
maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

For my own sanity I always purchase the EB check in. There are always so many families in the family boarding it would make me to nervous
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Phew! Just did our 24 hour check-in for our departure to MCO & managed to get A49-55. From what I have read on these boards - we should be good and all be able to sit together

Yes, I know we could have paid the extra for the EBCI.........
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Just chiming in here. A lot of people stress over being able to sit together. It is very rare for a group of 3 to not be able to find seats together if they are in any boarding spot up to the middle of the B group. Even late B's find seats together.
No, they will not be in the front of the plane, but in the rear. But there will be seats together.

As long as you aren't boarding a flight that originated elsewhere, you should be fine. I have seen people in the C group find seats together.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Help!
Not sure what you mean when you say "since they will have to go with one of us."

If I'm concerned with sitting next to my children, I pay. When it is just my DH and myself, I do not as I don't really care if we sit next to each other. The last PVD to MCO flight I was on they decreased family boarding to those with children 2 and younger. My DH and myself checked in at T-24 and got B50 or something like that and we had to split up. There were no rows with 2 seats available.

IMHO, EBCI should be purchased for the entire party although they do not enforce that. Keep in mind there is an open seating policy so if there is not a body in a seat, someone can sit in it.

Personally, I would pay the $10 for piece of mind. YMMV.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
As long as you aren't boarding a flight that originated elsewhere, you should be fine. I have seen people in the C group find seats together.
or Take a flight from a city which has a lot of connecting passengers such as BWI, MDW and LAS. Book a noon time flight, or later, flight from one of those cities and passengers connecting in your city will be able to get their BPs 24 hours before their first flight, probably at least 2 hours before your 24 hour window opens.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
DisneyFEB2013
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone. I purchased EBCI last night. Is your position based on when you purchased EBCI or when you purchased your ticket? I bought the tix back in Sept.
DisneyFEB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
maurene
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you everyone. I purchased EBCI last night. Is your position based on when you purchased EBCI or when you purchased your ticket? I bought the tix back in Sept.
When you purchased EBCI.
maurene is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: