Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Can a resort actually OVERbook their rooms?

What happens if they do that and you arrive?

The reason why I ask is because the wife just called to confirm/check-in/make requests and she was told the Pop is totally booked, not one single room left when we are there!
nuge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I have seen it happen and people were asked to switch, or offered upgrades.
However I saw quite a few threads where people were saying there were no available rooms for their dates yesterday and most have confirmed it was a glitch on the website, so it may not be full depending when you are going.
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Yes, they do overbook, especially at the values. When that happens they'll sometimes send out targeted e-mail or post card offers to upgrade for free to a resort that is well under capacity (usually Saratoga Springs and/or Old Key West), or sometimes they'll make the offer of an upgrade at check-in.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Yes, they do overbook, especially at the values. When that happens they'll sometimes send out targeted e-mail or post card offers to upgrade for free to a resort that is well under capacity (usually Saratoga Springs and/or Old Key West), or sometimes they'll make the offer of an upgrade at check-in.
Is it worth while to mention that when you call or check-in online?
nuge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuge67 View Post
Is it worth while to mention that when you call or check-in online?
Online check-in or confirmation ahead of time has nothing to do with room availability before you arrive.

Unless it is knowingly on Disney's part they are overbooked or failed to be able to provide a certain room category (i.e. last year when they were late opening up the Royal Rooms at POR).

The CM sitting at the CRO (Central Reservations) will not know unless they have been directed by a supervisor to call and offer certain people an alternative if needed, as in the case above.

Mostly likely, you won't know until you check in. I was told a few years ago, when I checked into POR a week later than usual to accomodate some friends, that we had already been moved over to CSR due to overbooking. I refused to go because I had booked my room long before the Pop Warner people had. I told the CM you can upgrade me to a deluxe. He said then I would be going home. They don't have to upgrade you - read the fine print - they have covered themselves.

We stayed put; had a very remote room. It was good due to the noise, but the overall lack of respect by this group all week has caused me to tell my friends, you either go my week or not at all. I am not changing and going that week again.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.

Last edited by Missytara; 01-28-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Once we were bumped over to the YC when arrived at the BC for check in. And no matter how hard my DH tried, nothing would stop them from moving us out of the BC, a resort we had reserved. He was furious. At least we got a nice room at the YC, although is wasn't an upgrade.

I told him that next time we get bumped we need to insist on an upgrade.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973

Last edited by Wood Nymph; 01-28-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Not official - this is my personal opinion - I think the Values often overbook because many people take advantage of them & cancel whenever they feel like doing so.

If they overbook, then they have a fighting chance of actually filling all of their rooms. If they don't - many will remain empty.

One time -- We were offered an upgrade to CBR due to an overbooking situation. That was just "fine" with us. No problems here! And - they assigned us to Preferred at CBR! Wow!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Our last 3 trips I've booked POP and then kept reading on these boards about how everybody was getting upgraded to SS and OKW in the week we were going, we never did. But it happens, and then you get people like me who feel jealous every time we think about it. I'm guessing that's why they don't make a big deal out of it.
So if you want to try your chances, it seems to happen at the start of free dining a lot.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
fall08CP
Cheesehead

They overbook all the time. In the very very fine print, you are told that you are booked at the Walt Disney World Resort with a preference of xx hotel. You are not guaranteed the room you book, much less the hotel. You can be upgraded, downgraded, or "walked" to a comparable category without your consent.

This usually falls on the reservations agents and the front desk has to do damage control, so don't yell at them There are also un-forseen conditions- rooms being unavailable for maintenance issues, weather causes current guests to stay longer, guests show up on the wrong check-in date (it happens all the time, believe it or not!).
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #10
Mickey&JoshNut
It's not nice to distract the cute lifeguards

just keep swimming... just keep swimming.... Dory....
now I

We have been bumped due to a maintenance issue back in 2009. This was our experience.

I planned a surprise trip to WDW for my Mom's birthday and booked a room at Pop Century (her favourite resort). I had done the online check in and when we arrived at the resort at 10 am I was informed that we had been upgraded to CSR. I thanked the CM very much but that we wanted to stay at Pop and to offer the next family the upgrade. I was advised that there was nothing they could do as CSR now had my reservation. The CM advised that they would take me to CSR and they would need to see if they could get us moved back to Pop. I was one unhappy camper as (no offense to anyone) we just don't like CSR and this was supposed to be a fun birthday trip. Disney transported us by van to CSR and I spoke to the front desk manager. I explained this was a surprise birthday trip and that CSR was one of our least favourite resorts. She checked the system and advised that she could not move us back to Pop but could put us at All Star Music (no offense again) but I advised the agent that if I wanted to stay at All Star Music I would have booked All Star Music. I advised I wanted to stay at Pop - the resort I booked. That is when I was informed that there was an entire building down because of a maintenance issue and there were no rooms available. The manager then went in the back room and came back and advised she could move us to POFQ or POR. I decided on POFQ. Disney once again transported us to POFQ and we went through the check in process. We ended up getting a great room at POFQ - we were right across from the food court so it was a quick trip to the drink station to fill our mugs during a commercial break on tv and had a fantastic trip. So can Disney move you, yes, however I think our situation was different than an overbook situation - it was a maintenance issue but it can still happen.

04/12 Disney Wonder 15 Night Hawaii Cruise 03/12 - Disney Fantasy - Maiden Voyage 09/11 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
05/11 - Disney Wonder - 1st Alaska 7 Night Cruise 04/11 - Disney Wonder Repo LA to Vancouver 04/11 - DL - Disneyland Hotel
02/11 - WDW - POP Century 01/11 - Disney Dream - Maiden Voyage 01/11 - WDW - POP Century 09/10 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
03/10 - WDW - POP Century - Elaine's Birthday Trip 12/09 - WDW - POP Century 09/09 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"

08/09 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter "Mom's Birthday Trip" 05/09 - WDW - POP Century 03/09 - WDW - POP Century
02/09-Disney Magic-Birthday Cruise
02/09-WDW-POP Century 09/08-WDW-POP Century 09/08-Disney Magic-Special 5 Night
08/08 - WDW - POP Century
12/07 - WDW - POR 09/07 - WDW - POP Century 05/07 - WDW - POP Century
Rang in 2007 onboard the Disney WONDER 12/06 - WDW - offsite (MH) 11/06 - WDW - Coronado Springs
09/06 - Disney Wonder - 11 Day Southern Caribbean 03/06 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean 03/06 - WDW - offsite (MH)
10/05 - WDW - offsite (MH)
05/05 - DL - Grand Californian 05/05 - Disney Magic - Maiden Panama Canal Crossing
12/04 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 11/04 - Disney Wonder - 4 day 10/01 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
09/00 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 09/99 - WDW - Caribbean Beach 06/98 - WDW - offsite
Mickey&JoshNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: