Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Late Dinner Ressie & Monorail Service

Apologies if this is a common question, but I can't seem to find an answer in previous threads that addresses my exact situation.

My parents and I have an 8:50 dinner ressie at the GF Cafe on a night when MK closes at 9. Wishes is at 8 and we plan to exit the park immediately afterwards, so we may arrive early for our reservation if we are able to get on the first or second monorail. Assuming we don't get seated till about 8:50, though, what are our chances for making the last monorail back to the TTC? Should we play it safe and just drive to the GF? And, how late do the resort launches run? This wouldn't be ideal time-wise, but I figure if we got stuck with no monorail, we could take the boat to MK and then transfer to the TTC ferry.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

If I had a car, I would just drive. Why bother with all the worry and angst over how to get back to TTC?? Just drive to the GF and park there.
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
joelkfla
DIS Veteran

Being a local, you may already know this, but:

To drive from the MK parking lot to any of the MK resorts, you need to exit all the way past the CCC & Auto Plaza (toll booth) and take the turn-around just before the Epcot exit back thru the Auto Plaza. If you take the turn-around inside the Auto Plaza, it just goes back into the parking lot.

(There is a shortcut thru the Hess station, but it's not well signed and confusing if you don't know the area well.)

If you and your parents are in good shape, you can also walk from GF, thru Poly, back to TTC, but it's rather long, and then you'd probably also have to walk out to your car in the parking lot.
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
If I had a car, I would just drive. Why bother with all the worry and angst over how to get back to TTC?? Just drive to the GF and park there.
Why bother? Because I know we will all be starving by that point, especially my mom who is not used to eating so late. Just frustrating to have to take the time to drive there when it is just one stop away on the resort monorail. And as joelkfla pointed out, we have to completely exit the TTC, drive a ways, and make a U turn. I figured this is what we would have to do, but was hoping there might be an option I was not aware of that would allow us to avoid it.

Thanks for the input, both.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
Why bother? Because I know we will all be starving by that point, especially my mom who is not used to eating so late. Just frustrating to have to take the time to drive there when it is just one stop away on the resort monorail. And as joelkfla pointed out, we have to completely exit the TTC, drive a ways, and make a U turn. I figured this is what we would have to do, but was hoping there might be an option I was not aware of that would allow us to avoid it.

Thanks for the input, both.
Just so you know, GF is *NOT* "one stop away" from the MK. You actually stop at CR, TTC, Poly, then GF.

I'm GUESSING the resort monorail will still be running after your dinner, although it might not stop at MK.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Yes, there are multiple, time-consuming stops on the resort monorail to get to GF. Even though driving would involve going to the TTC, the turn-around, etc., it can often be quicker this way than dealing with the resort monorail near MK closing time. It often stops running for 5-10 minutes at a time to deal with crowds.

If you are able to look around a bit, see if the wait for the ferry is shorter than the monorail wait. If so, you could ride the ferry to the TTC and either get to your car or transfer to the resort monorail (you'd be getting on a much emptier train than what initially arrives at the TTC) for the much quicker trip from there to GF than if you took the monorail all the way around). The ferry is often a quicker overall trip to the TTC than the monorail near MK closing.

Yes, there is also the option of walking from GF to the TTC after dinner, as a PP mentioned. But I'd get the walk or tram ride to the car over with early, and then just drive over to GF. I think you'd stand a better chance of making the ADR by getting to your car sooner. It would also cut down greatly on walking after dinner to get to your car.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Just so you know, GF is *NOT* "one stop away" from the MK. You actually stop at CR, TTC, Poly, then GF.

I'm GUESSING the resort monorail will still be running after your dinner, although it might not stop at MK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
Yes, there are multiple, time-consuming stops on the resort monorail to get to GF. Even though driving would involve going to the TTC, the turn-around, etc., it can often be quicker this way than dealing with the resort monorail near MK closing time. It often stops running for 5-10 minutes at a time to deal with crowds.

If you are able to look around a bit, see if the wait for the ferry is shorter than the monorail wait. If so, you could ride the ferry to the TTC and either get to your car or transfer to the resort monorail (you'd be getting on a much emptier train than what initially arrives at the TTC) for the much quicker trip from there to GF than if you took the monorail all the way around). The ferry is often a quicker overall trip to the TTC than the monorail near MK closing.

Yes, there is also the option of walking from GF to the TTC after dinner, as a PP mentioned. But I'd get the walk or tram ride to the car over with early, and then just drive over to GF. I think you'd stand a better chance of making the ADR by getting to your car sooner. It would also cut down greatly on walking after dinner to get to your car.

Ack! You are right. I had the monorail direction mixed up in my mind. Must not have had enough coffee this morning...

I often prefer to take the resort monorail back to the TTC at MK closing, but really this is because it is less crowded, not because it takes less time than the express or ferry. I tend to block out those waits in my mind, as I'm rarely in a hurry and would much rather the journey take a little longer than deal with hordes of sweaty strangers in close proximity. Thanks for reminding me that this choice would probably take longer.

I seriously doubt we'd even want to walk from the Poly to the TTC after a long day in the parks, let alone GF>Poly>TTC. And I think you are right - our safest bet is to just drive to the GF first thing. So, we will assess the crowds and either do monorail or ferry. Thanks for the suggestions!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: