Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
BELLEDOZER
Evil MOM reporting for duty!!

I've got a really off beat, off the wall, and downright weird sense of humor. Unfortunately my DH shares the same kind of humor. I was flamed off the DL boards over 1 1/2 yrs ago, so now I keep my off the wall sense of humor toned down, and am more careful about what I say, as to not offend anyone with my strange sense of humor. Sometimes the internal edit button doesn't work as well for some people on the boards, and it can get one into trouble when you least expect it. Also I no longer respond to those who do take offense to something I say, as everyone is entitled to their opinions whether I agree with them or not. I've recently discovered that life is too short to take some of the petty bickering that does happen to heart. Life is for living to the fullest and not for taking minor slights to heart.
BELLEDOZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

I read through the thread on the other board and did not see where anyone was attacking you?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
BELLEDOZER

It happened a long time ago, and so I've learned my lessons of the past, so that I may be a member of this board. I'm currently recovering from a pretty major crash, and will take months for me to regain my health to what it was before the crash. It could have been a great deal worse than it was, but it's given me a new perspective on life that I did not have before the crash. The crash may affect the rides I can ride on my upcoming trip in Nov, depending if I heal fully from the crash. So when I say life is meant to be lived, it comes from experience. Worst crash I've ever been in and walked away from (relatively speaking). Have a great day!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
I read through the thread on the other board and did not see where anyone was attacking you?
I don't think I said "attack" regarding this particular incident, but I could be mistaken. What I was frustrated with was that no one else's complaints and compliments were being questioned, until I posted my story and then multiple people told me how it was my fault. I felt like they were being rather condescending, and making assumptions, like that I was expecting to get something out of complaining, even when I stated that we were not looking for compensation. I don't think it was necessary for them to tell me that my complaint was stupid and unnecessary. Everyone has their own interpretation though. Maybe I was reading too much into it, after having seen so much rudeness in other threads. I could be a sensitive person. Or they could have been being rude. Each person who reads it will probably have a different opinion.

Other topics are where I have seen the real attacks though. People can be downright nasty

Can't we all just be nice? At the very least, I think some people need to be reminded that "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
dragonflycurls
Mouseketeer

I think it's very two sided as well. There may be trolls and meanies but I think people need to develop tougher skin too. Some people want to come here to vent and think people will just pat them on the back and agree with them. When the person doesn't get the response they wanted, everyone is being judgemental and mean.
dragonflycurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

I understand what you mean. I generally think I am able to discern between a disagreement and someone being rude. But it can be difficult through text, because you can't hear inflection, see body language, etc. Some people (including me!) are not always great at articulating their thoughts, either. So it can definitely a tricky situation. That's why, in general, I try to stay away from issues that I know will turn sour.

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
You're referring to the OP, yes? I just went and found the thread too, and I simply saw pointed questions trying to figure out the thought process.

But I know there are people who truly do not believe they will get wet on Splash. My cousin and her husband laughed at us for wearing ponchos on Splash at WDW. They are in their 30s, have been visiting WDW since their teens, and had NEVER gotten wet on the ride. And then they went with us. Drenched. Until then they might have thought nothing about bringing just about anything on the ride, and would probably have told others to not worry about it. They've somehow managed to never notice OTHER people coming off the ride wet, which I don't get, since I saw people very very wet coming off the ride...

The OP didn't get as wet on Grizzly as they did on Splash; I've had the opposite experience many, many times. Grizzly can get you head to do drenched, if you hit the hills just right, and if you are in the right place at the right time if they ever have the geysers going. My husband has been drenched on both, LOL.

I've seen people getting into line at Grizzly who are looking at our sopping wet clothes (well, for me, my dripping poncho, as I'm not a fan of wet cotton clothing) and saying "uh oh" because they simply had not realized how wet they could get. I think it's pretty easy to be a bit clueless on a trip like that; things are so overwhelming.

but anyway, I still didn't see rudeness. Just questions.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
BELLEDOZER

I'm the one that always get drenched from head to toe on GRR (completely soaked!), while the rest of the family barely get's wet. No matter how many trips, this always happens. This is why I try to avoid it, and am downright paranoid about protecting my good camera on this ride.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #24
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

I post on about 5 different message boards, and the DIS is definitely the most well behaved, helpful and low key board of all minus one of just local friends.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
SaraJay
Earning My Ears

I'm going to agree with Thumper on this one

"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all. "

Don't really see the point in getting into heated arguments with strangers.
SaraJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
ClosetDisneyJunkie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaLou View Post
I post on about 5 different message boards, and the DIS is definitely the most well behaved, helpful and low key board of all minus one of just local friends.

I help administrate forums relating to film and television attached to a prominent movie news website (that is known for...strong opinions) and I gotta say, from a politeness standpoint, it's like night and day. People absolutely destroy each other over there. It's moderated, and the goal is to stimulate debate not flame wars, but holy cow is it different than this place

Dis boards are like a breath of fresh air! people are so nice here, generally!

To the OP, I'm sorry if you had an experience different than mine has been in the short time I've been reading these forums. As I said, I'm always pretty amazed at how well behaved folks are here.

A couple of things I'll note briefly, as a long time veteran of message boards, more to everyone in general as opposed to the OP per se:

1) As someone noted, anonymity breed bravery (though I'd argue it's cowardice). Some people have a tendency to say things online that they'd never say in person. Hopefully it doesn't degenerate into flame, but it's a fact of life on the internet. Note that I'm not saying, at all, that that is the case here.

2) Probably more important than (1): remember there is no tone or body language associated with a forum post. It is often easy to misinterpret the tone of a post that is not meant to be disparaging. Frank and honest posts or questions can easily be misconstrued without the context of tone or body language. I've done it more times than I can count. So the person asking a (possibly frank) question may not be as jerky as we may think upon initial read.

Just my unsolicited $.02

EDIT:

Apologies, Color, I'm just now seeing that you posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
I understand what you mean. I generally think I am able to discern between a disagreement and someone being rude. But it can be difficult through text, because you can't hear inflection, see body language, etc. Some people (including me!) are not always great at articulating their thoughts, either. So it can definitely a tricky situation. That's why, in general, I try to stay away from issues that I know will turn sour.
Yes...I think that's it exactly.

So...i have no original thoughts on this topic.

moving on...
ClosetDisneyJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: