Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #1351
mikat
Mouseketeer

I don't know if this had been posted previously, but I just arrived at Pop for a fun solo weekend and there are RFID card readers on the room doors now!
First Trip Ever - Poly - November 2010 * * * Star Wars Weekend - Dolphin - June 2011 * * * Solo Trip - Pop Century - January 2012 * * * Dream a Little Dream Disney 4-Night Cruise - March 2012 * * * Couples Trip to Disneyland - July 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - July 2012 * * * Mom & Boys Trip - Pop Century and Wyndham Bonnet Creek - August 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - January 2013 * * * Couples Trip - Animal Kingdom Lodge - August 2013 * * * WDW - DCL Christmas in the World and on the Dream - Art of Animation - December 2013 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Yacht Club - March 2014 * * * Mommy & Son Trip - Caribbean Beach - July 2014
Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #1352
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentopher View Post
Who else is staying at POP on or around May 15-22? There's a couple others over on the SWW thread. Looking to see if anyone wants to do a meetup at all?
My family will be at SWW most of the days, but as mentioned above, we'll either drive from home or stay off site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldnDaisy5 View Post
Not sure about other brands but those ones are reallu easy to "recharge" or make cold again, run under water or we'd pour some water on it and they seemed to work for a bit. Good luck!!! I know it can be so hard!
We've spent so much on cooling items, I guess one more won't hurt, especially if it will work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikat View Post
I don't know if this had been posted previously, but I just arrived at Pop for a fun solo weekend and there are RFID card readers on the room doors now!
How does it work?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #1353
DonaldnDaisy5
Mouseketeer

They cool down again almost instantly when water is put on them. We got ours from bed bath and beyond, they were between 12 & 18, i think...and they always have coupons. We were really surprised at them. I hope you have a great trip!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #1354
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
How does it work?
With the RFID door locks, you can tap your room key card (or Key To The World card) to open the door.

The previous locks you inserted your key card so it could read the magnetic stripe. So they new locks promise to be a little easier to use.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #1355
yooperfan
DIS Veteran

I kept holding up the back of the room card thinking it would read the magnetic strip....duh! You hold up thebar code on the front.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #1356
CammelleandBre
Mouseketeer

Hi, everyone just arrived home from my Disney trip. Wanted to share my experience at POP. First, it is a really cute, fun resort. CM's very friendly. Nice food court. Lot's of activities for kids. But IMO the rooms are ridiculously tiny, it was just me and my 10 yr old dd. I don't know how a family of 3, or 4 could be comfortable. Also the room had a very grimy, overly used feel to it. If you ask me they need a refurb again. Here is where I have to admit me and my dd only lasted 1 night I arrived last Sat. the 19, and I asked to be moved the next day. I just couldn't take the dirty feeling of the room. I am NOT trying to put down POP. It just wasn't for me. They were very gracious, and understanding when I asked to be moved. They ended up moving us to Art of Animation, in a Little Mermaid room, at no extra cost. Once again this is just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #1357
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammelleandBre
Hi, everyone just arrived home from my Disney trip. Wanted to share my experience at POP. First, it is a really cute, fun resort. CM's very friendly. Nice food court. Lot's of activities for kids. But IMO the rooms are ridiculously tiny, it was just me and my 10 yr old dd. I don't know how a family of 3, or 4 could be comfortable. Also the room had a very grimy, overly used feel to it. If you ask me they need a refurb again. Here is where I have to admit me and my dd only lasted 1 night I arrived last Sat. the 19, and I asked to be moved the next day. I just couldn't take the dirty feeling of the room. I am NOT trying to put down POP. It just wasn't for me. They were very gracious, and understanding when I asked to be moved. They ended up moving us to Art of Animation, in a Little Mermaid room, at no extra cost. Once again this is just my opinion.
Sorry you were so disappointed with POP. But as far as the room size the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA are the EXACT Same Size as POP's rooms! LoL
I guess you will probably feel the same way about the LM rooms in a year because they almost NEVER sit empty!! So they will probably feel grimy and overused very quickly too. That's such a shame as my POP room that I just left 3 days ago was impeccably clean when I got it! And my mousekeeper, was incredible!! She would see me outside and ask if I needed anything, was everything okay?? She was phenomenally attentive! I would love to have her come clean my home!!! Wish you would have had a better experience, but I suspect when you return to AoA in a year or so, your opinion is going to be the same of it as it is of POP. They are highly utilized hotels.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #1358
bentopher
Mouseketeer

Is there a more detailed map than this one...
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...oriesFINAL.jpg

That shows actual room #'s??

Thanks

May 2013 Pop Century: Star Wars Weekend. The boys 2nd trip. And first trip with Grandma (who hadn't been in 15ish years).
May 2012 All Star Sports: The boys first Disney Vacation, and my first time back in 15 years!
Several offsite trips as a child, a disney cruise in 1994, and ASMu in 1997 for Disney 25th Anniversary!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #1359
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I just want to share my experience at Pop!

I stayed there Jan. 17-20. We were in 50's building, non-preferred. Our room # was 2222! It was a king bed room.

The room was very clean and I liked the decor. I appreciated the neutral decor of the room. I did not find the room to be too small. I think that 2 parents with 2 kids could fit fine, but if the kids are teenage or older, it would probably feel pretty cramped. The jury is out on the comfortableness of the room...I thought the bed was too hard, but DH liked it. The bathroom area lighting was great and there was enough counter space for us.

The food court was very good and efficient despite the amount of people using it. I didn't swim, but the pools looked like a lot of fun! The bowling pin pool looked a little small, but I suppose that's because the hippy dippy pool is so big.

We only took the bus to DTD and the service was fine. We drove to the parks and were able to park pretty close to our room. The layout was a little confusing to me because all of the buildings looked the same. I couldn't ever tell exactly where I was. I just took some stairs up to the 2nd floor and found my room that way. It may just be me though...I am known for being bad with directions!!

Overall, I'm not sure I would book this resort if I were going to spend significant time there as I didn't find it to have a relaxing feel. However, this was a quick long weekend trip on a budget and for the price, we couldn't beat it. We really just needed a place to sleep. With only 2.5 park days, we spent most of the time we were there in the parks. Pop completely met our needs and I wouldn't hesitate to return if we ever do another short trip.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #1360
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentopher View Post
Is there a more detailed map than this one...
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...oriesFINAL.jpg

That shows actual room #'s??
Yes, this map (always linked to in post#2 of this thread) has the room numbering scheme used in all buildings:

Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #1361
dizzycrazy
Earning My Ears

So many questions answered!

Thanks so much! This answered so many of my questions! Love it!

DH DW DS 10 DD 6 DDog

July 2000 ~ First Trip with DH! Celebrated Second Anniversay! ~ POR
July 2007 ~ First Family Trip to Disney! Celebrated 9th Anniversary! DS 4, DD 9 mo ~ Pop

Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #1362
stitchTB
Mouseketeer

So, in Nov 2011, my family and I stayed at POP and paid for a preferred room.
We were in room 4552. Looking at the map it looks like that is not a preferred room. I was very happy with our room location, but did I pay for a preferred room and not get it? None of this would matter except that I am planning our next stay at POP for Sept this year. I am thinking I will request lakeview building 4 or 5 and save the money so we can go to MNSSHP! What do you think?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #1363
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchTB View Post
So, in Nov 2011, my family and I stayed at POP and paid for a preferred room.
We were in room 4552. Looking at the map it looks like that is not a preferred room. I was very happy with our room location, but did I pay for a preferred room and not get it? None of this would matter except that I am planning our next stay at POP for Sept this year. I am thinking I will request lakeview building 4 or 5 and save the money so we can go to MNSSHP! What do you think?
I think you're right, 4552 is not Preferred.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #1364
stitchTB
Mouseketeer

Thanks EpcotBill. I wish I would have been on The Dis back then, I would have asked to have the money refunded for that. We wouldn't have wanted a different room though! Nice and quiet, and close to the main building.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #1365
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchTB View Post
I am thinking I will request lakeview building 4 or 5 and save the money so we can go to MNSSHP! What do you think?
I agree with this idea. I always recommend reserving standard at Pop. You can still get a good room location without paying extra for it.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: