Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
PredzMan
Mouseketeer

Wine for nights of cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofymama View Post
the answer to this part of your question is yes. You do get a discount thru the package vs buying a bottle from Disney each night.

I'd love to learn the answer to your question about if you can buy a smaller bottle package on a 7 night cruise. We only have 2 adults and I don't think well drink a whole bottle each night ... Well we could but I'm sure we'd like to drink something other than wine too.

No, you can not purchase a wine plan for a shorter time of nights of the cruise. If you don't use a bottle, you always can take it with you off the ship, or use it during the dessert buffet.

Jerry
All Star Movies - 12/2008
All Star Sports - 10/2007
All Star Sports - 9/2006
Port Orleans Riverside - Honeymoon - 8/2005
Port Orleans Riverside - 9/2004
WDW and Epcot Opening - 10/1984
PredzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
dylan'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredzMan View Post
Some observations from past wine experiences on DCL....

If you do the math and figure out it's cheaper for you to bring bottles onto the ship, go for it. DCL does state it's $20 corking fee per bottle, but honestly, I've very rarely seen this enforced. If you have a good relationship with your head server (had ours on multiple cruises) they have the ability to spread some pixie dust and make the corking fee disappear. ........

Every time I read something like this, I don't know whether to feel envious or like I did something wrong...lol

We have bought the wine package several times, but have also brought our own choice in wines to dinner with us to share many other times, and the corkage fee has NEVER been waived....ever!!!!!!!!

It is $20 now, plus gratuity, and as far back as when it was around $15 (2001), we have been charged the fee every time. I do enjoy the servers & have gotten to know quite a few, but I'm starting to think that I didn't do something right with my head servers, because we always have paid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofymama View Post
the answer to this part of your question is yes. You do get a discount thru the package vs buying a bottle from Disney each night.
I'd love to learn the answer to your question about if you can buy a smaller bottle package on a 7 night cruise. We only have 2 adults and I don't think well drink a whole bottle each night ... Well we could but I'm sure we'd like to drink something other than wine too.
Quote:
No, you can not purchase a wine plan for a shorter time of nights of the cruise. If you don't use a bottle, you always can take it with you off the ship, or use it during the dessert buffet. Jerry
Well, here's another one where my experience has been different! On the longer cruises (12-14 nights) I have purchased a 7-night package, a 3 and a 4-night package, and one time, two 7-night packages. Now, this is not a 7-night cruise, so maybe that's the difference? Or maybe it's just less publicized that there are options??

But, I agree that you can take the bottles off the ship. One time we had several left over & took them on with us to WDW.

The bottom line with a wine package (for us, anyway) is CONVENIENCE. It was easy & so fun to order a bottle of the Iron Horse for brunch at Palo or a red at a late lunch...with no bubble wrap or wine diapers required, thank you very much!!!

But as for savings....... I think in all cases, with every bottle we have brought on board and taken to the dining room with us, it was far less money to bring it, even with the corking fee. Where I live (central coast of CA), I have Trader Joe's & Costco selling true premium wines for killer prices, so if we bring it ourselves, it is a better bargain, especially if we opt to have it elsewhere & not take it to dinner. You will save at least 10% of the individual pricing by buying the package though.

19 on DCL, so far: MAGICal voyages: Jun'01(7), Oct'01(7), Jun'03(7), Nov'04(7), Jun'06(7), Jun'07(11), Jun'09(7), Apr'10(14), Jun'10(12), May'11 B2B(25), Sep'11(14); WONDERful cruises: Oct'10(3), Dec'11(7), Apr'12(15 Hawaii); 1 DREAMy cruise Mar'11; +1 FANTAStical voyage Jul'12(7)..& back to the MAGIC Sept 22th Galveston inaugural +B2B Sept. 29th, next year DS's Graduation Cruise- either the Greece Med or EBTA...tbd
dylan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
EllinK
Mouseketeer

wine packages - Captain's Choice SB County

I see that in the wine packages there is a Chardonnay and a Cabernet described as "Captain's Choice Santa Barbara County".

Does anyone know which winery makes the "Captain's Choice"?
EllinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #19
owensamo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllinK View Post
I see that in the wine packages there is a Chardonnay and a Cabernet described as "Captain's Choice Santa Barbara County".

Does anyone know which winery makes the "Captain's Choice"?
Looks like it's a trademark of " Terravant Wine Company, LLC, Santa Barbara, CA 93101", who apparently makes a number of premium private-label wines. The Captain's Choice website is down or gone - but the Google cached page indicates it's exclusive to Disney Cruise Line.
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Quote:
No, you can not purchase a wine plan for a shorter time of nights of the cruise. If you don't use a bottle, you always can take it with you off the ship, or use it during the dessert buffet.

Jerry
From our experience it is indeed possible to buy a package with less bottles than nights of the cruise. They may not tell you this voluntarily, but if you ask, they will gladly sell you a 3 or 4 night package on a seven day cruise. We did this for an Alaskan cruise in 2011, we didn't realize this was possible, but asked and they did sell us a 4 bottle package for a 7 night cruise. I think they realize that some people may not want a bottle every single night, and at least they are still selling something they might not have sold otherwise.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
mawhite424
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
From our experience it is indeed possible to buy a package with less bottles than nights of the cruise. They may not tell you this voluntarily, but if you ask, they will gladly sell you a 3 or 4 night package on a seven day cruise. We did this for an Alaskan cruise in 2011, we didn't realize this was possible, but asked and they did sell us a 4 bottle package for a 7 night cruise. I think they realize that some people may not want a bottle every single night, and at least they are still selling something they might not have sold otherwise.
Yes, we did the same thing. I also don't remember the price being different (though I could be wrong) when we ordered it on the ship during the first night's dinner. We bought the 3 night package for a 7 night cruise, and we even upgraded to the 4 night package without an penalty when we (ahem) finished the 3 bottles prior to the end of the cruise!

mawhite424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Now for those of you who don't know, there is a special wine on the premium package that is only made for Disney and only served on the cruise ships. We've heard rumors of it being served at the Grand Floridian for weddings, but never seen that in person. It's the Iron Horse Fairy Tale Celebration Cuvée. The Iron Horse website does have it for sale direct, but only 1000 cases are released for this offer. It goes for $50 retail. If you have not had this sparkling wine it's spectacular. Almost worth getting the wine package alone just to save the money on getting this one and having it more than once during the cruise.
Jerry, I looked on the Iron Horse website and see that this is rose in color? Is it a sweet sparkling wine or dry?

J
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
avinsmomma
Earning My Ears

Does the corking fee apply if you bring your own wine and keep it in your room? I enjoy a glass in the evening but not with dinner.
avinsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinsmomma View Post
Does the corking fee apply if you bring your own wine and keep it in your room? I enjoy a glass in the evening but not with dinner.
Nope. Only if the bottle/bag/box/whatever is taken to the dining room.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #25
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw

Our server on our 5 night Western Carribean, January 14th told us automatically that we could purchase 3, 4 or 5 night bottle wine package. Thankfully, we only bought a 4 night because we had trouble finishing it all.....but we did it! LOL
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

FWIW - we purchased a 7 day package for a 4 night cruise. DW prefers white while I prefer red. Some nights we didn't finish our bottles so we started out with it the next night. Some nights, we took the "leftovers" to sit on the verandah and enjoy. Some nights we ran through the leftovers, went through the next bottle and considered starting a new one.

Somehow we ran out on the last night and I had to order cocktails...

We'll probably order a 7 and 3 day package for our upcoming 7 nighter...

SLIDCT (sorry liver, it's Disney Cruise time)
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
KalleAnka
Earning My Ears

Can you only use the wine package at dinner in the dining rooms? Or can you also use it at lunch in the buffet?
KalleAnka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
msbiscuit
Mouseketeer

I was approached during embarkation lunch and asked if I'd like to buy one of the wine packages. I was on a 6 night repositioning cruise, so I bought the 3 night package. (Don't I sound like a prim little wine sipper??? )
I was handed a brochure that listed all the wines available in both regular and premium packages and was happy with what was offered in the regular package. It was $84. (I enjoyed the Murphy Goode Savignon Blanc so much that I looked for it at the local wine shops and it seems DCL has bought up the stock! )
The bottle followed me around from Palo to the MDRs, even at brunch and lunch.
Being a pretty pedestrian wine drinker, this worked well for me. A couple I was seated with at dinner purchased the premium package and would study the wine selections every night at dinner and they seemed happy, as well.
msbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
EricaG
Mouseketeer

On our 5-nt last May on the Dream, we purchased the 3 night package for our 5 nt cruise, and that ended up being the perfect amount for us--drank about 3/4 of a bottle or so between the two of us each night at dinner. They save the wine for you in the back and will bring it to you in whichever restaurant you are in the next night!

We had not considered doing it before we got on the ship, but our servers brought it up on the first night, showed us the list, explained that we could indeed do a package that was shorter than the actual cruise, etc.

So, if you're getting conflicting info. regarding whether you can purchase a package that is fewer nights than your cruise, maybe you could just wait and decide at your first night of dinner? I think what we paid by getting the package on the first night was exactly the same as booking in advance.
Jan. 2000-POR (Ran WDW Marathon!) ; Feb. 2002-Offsite ; Jan. 2004-WL; Dec. 2006-POFQ (Trip with extended family); Mar. 2008-OKW (Just the two of us); Oct. 2008-BWV; Sept. 2009-3nt. cruise on the Wonder and 1 nt. at BLT; Feb. 2011--7nt. Mexican Riviera on the Wonder; Oct. 2011-POP!; May 2012--5 nt. on the Dream and our first stay at Ft. Wilderness in our new (to us) VW Westy ; May 2014--7 nt. Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
EricaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #30
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredzMan

Jerry
Incorrect

We have also purchased a 3 night plan while on a 7 night sailing. This was in Sept 2012.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: