Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Quote:
I would have dumped the southwest themed eateries and entertainment, and although I love the mural--but I would have done something with astroimagery (which was really starting to get spectacular at the time).
Wonderful!! I love it, and to tell you the truth I never quite did get the southwest thing, but I have to admit it did strike an emotional chord of being "contemporary" when I first saw it, and it still does, for that time. OR!! And it is a strong possibility that I have such fond memories of that time and place that it 'strikes a chord' with me now, just because it is what it is. Does that make sense.

Anyway, I really LOVE your ideas. To bad they gutted the Imagineering division. There might have been a spot for you!!

Quote:
The character presentations at breakfast have always been off theme too, and I would change that.
While I love Chef Mickey's when I am with my children (many years ago) and currently with my grandchildren, I don't like it. First: Where it is at (The Contemporary). And second: They have too many character meals already!! It was better off in the Market Place. And the Market Place was better off when it was The Market Place, but that's a topic for another thread!!

Quote:
There was the Grand Canyon Lounge and the Gulf Coast Room -- one of those perhaps?
No. I don't think they were it. But it'll come to me. I hope!

Quote:
The link was very interesting though. I was very enamored of the Persian and Asian concepts
Me too!!

Quote:
although the Venetian one seemed lacking (I'm have been a relatively frequent traveller to Venice and so perhaps my expectations are unfairly high).
Me Too! Although I’ve never been, it is still my least favorite. But!! I personally think, very subjectively, that it would have been MUCH better than any of the other resorts around Epcot, and might have even fit in a little better, given the World Showcase tie-in. Certainly better than ALL north American/eastern seaboard themed resorts. No tie-in for World Showcase there!!

Quote:
As for the Parks living up to their potential, no, I think not.
Thank you. I quite agree. But it’s not only the parks. It’s the resorts as well. It’s the selling off of the land to make a quarterly Wall Street expectation. Ridiculous!!

Quote:
It is unreasonable to expect that he would be replaced by a series of like leaders
Yeah! I tend to agree with you again. I gave up that ghost long ago, somewhere when I stopped posting regularly. And while I think it would be virtually impossible with the present Disney company, I still think that if Ei$ner had NOT acquired ABC and ESPN it might have worked. If he would have just been a capable steward of a much smaller Disney (i.e. films and theme parks) a guy like Lassiter could easily have fill Walt shoes. Or at least half of them. And I’d take a half a Walt any day of the week rather than what we have now.

Quote:
Additionally, it's unclear (to me) that he would have been a good long term steward of his own projects. My understanding of his career is that he liked to move on to the next project, and updating/refurbishing/repurposing (at least insofar as the Disneyland property is concerned) wasn't really a strong suit. I think we could have expected great new benchmarks from Disney had he lived a longer life, but I'm not sure what would have become of the projects he had completed in the past.
I think you may be right. But we wouldn’t see a decline in maintenance like we have in the past. We wouldn’t see the maintenance that does take place performed within the view of the guest. And I really don’t think we’d see the prices skyrocket out of sight. Those things were important to him and he was very anti-business when it came to those issues.

That is why, even though my avatar says, “What Would Walt Do?” I really mean “How would Walt Do It!!??” That’s not as catchy, but it is more accurate to my way of thinking.

For the best "Disney Education" on the web go to: http://www.july171955.com/

Long live the Pirate!!
DVC-Landbaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: