Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #991
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Restarted yesterday. The good thing is I was faster than the first time I started. I walked at 4.0 and ran at 5.0 - 5.5.
Last time I was 3 walk and a 4 run.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #992
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

I just started week 2! I used to say, "I'm not a runner," or "I can't run." Not any more!
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #993
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys

That's great about your cardio! You will improve with every run, although it's hard to believe when you are doing it! My legs got sore too, and then the other day DW (who is also doing the C25k with me) and I went to a professional running store and got fitted for running shoes. WOW! what a HUGE difference! Today was the first day I ran with my new sneakers and for the first time in the 7 weeks I've been doing this program (today was W6D3) my calves did not hurt. and I was running outside in 8 degree weather today. If you are not in properly fitted shoes, I would suggest making the investment. You will still be muscle sore from the workout, but what a difference - I went my farthest distance today. Just be sure to find a reputable running store. We were there for over 90 minutes, they watched us walk, examined our feet, let us run on the treadmill, etc.
Great advice especially since I have foot issues anyway. I do have good shoes, but once I know I'm actually committed (more than 2 days running) I will reward myself with better tools!!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #994
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5749w View Post
Awesome! I have read a ton of posts about specialty running stores on here. What was the name of the store you went to? I don't even know where to begin the search!

I completed W3D1 tonight! I am over the moon overjoyed with myself! I am so excited to be able to do this program. I am by no means fast but I keep telling myself, I don't have to finish first, I just have to finish.
Congratulations on making it to the third week - you are a third of the way through the program now!! And you don't need to be fast...I say the same thing..I don't actually want to win a 5k, I just actually have to DO one

The store I went to is called super runners shop. I don't know if I am allowed to put a link in here, so just type in that name as I wrote it in one word . com. It is a NY based store. They are so helpful and knowledgable. If you have trouble finding something near you, google a local running group and see if they can make a recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Restarted yesterday. The good thing is I was faster than the first time I started. I walked at 4.0 and ran at 5.0 - 5.5.
Good for you! Had you finished the whole program before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post
I just started week 2! I used to say, "I'm not a runner," or "I can't run." Not any more!
Yes you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford View Post
Great advice especially since I have foot issues anyway. I do have good shoes, but once I know I'm actually committed (more than 2 days running) I will reward myself with better tools!!
That was my philosophy too. I got up to week 6 and ran in single digit weather with wind and snow and decided I'm committed enough to buy myself a good pair of shoes lol.

I finished W7D1, but I have decided to alter the way I am running a bit. I have a bad lower back (two disintegrating discs in my L4 and L5), so I am very careful about the way I run, it was part of the impetus to go get fitted for proper sneakers, I had my BIL (who is a personal trainer) watch me run to make sure I'm not putting too much pressure on my lower back, etc. And basically, all the research points to yes, you can run, but you have to be smart about it. So in my reading, I came across Jeff Galloway on the runDisney site. He has developed a walk/run program designed to help new runners, injured or injury prone runners, and anyone who is looking to prolong their running career. I tried it the other day for the first time and then again today and I did the full workout of the C25k which was the warm-up, 25 minute run, cool-down, however I ran an app on my iphone simultaneously that broke up that 25 minute run into 4 min. run/1 min. walk cycles and did five of those cycles. Both days I went my farthest distance and my recovery was so much easier than just running straight through. Anyway, Jeff is a former olympic marathon runner and there's a lot about him out there if you just google his name.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #995
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post

Good for you! Had you finished the whole program before?
No, I had finished week 6 right before the Everest Challenge at Disney and I pretty much stopped running after that. I had major foot and shin problems after the race that sidelined me for a while after.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #996
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I completed W3D1 tonight! I am over the moon overjoyed with myself! I am so excited to be able to do this program. I am by no means fast but I keep telling myself, I don't have to finish first, I just have to finish.
Great attitude! And I wholeheartedly agree! In fact, I have a shirt I use that says "Finishing = Winning" on the front!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #997
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Quote:
That's great about your cardio! You will improve with every run, although it's hard to believe when you are doing it! My legs got sore too, and then the other day DW (who is also doing the C25k with me) and I went to a professional running store and got fitted for running shoes. WOW! what a HUGE difference! Today was the first day I ran with my new sneakers and for the first time in the 7 weeks I've been doing this program (today was W6D3) my calves did not hurt. and I was running outside in 8 degree weather today. If you are not in properly fitted shoes, I would suggest making the investment. You will still be muscle sore from the workout, but what a difference - I went my farthest distance today. Just be sure to find a reputable running store. We were there for over 90 minutes, they watched us walk, examined our feet, let us run on the treadmill, etc.
I wholeheartedly agree! Good, quality shoes make a huge difference!

Quote:
Awesome! I have read a ton of posts about specialty running stores on here. What was the name of the store you went to? I don't even know where to begin the search!

Great job on w3d1 and no truer words have ever been uttered! I ran my first 5K this past Saturday. Came in dead last. (Out of only about 20 runners). It was my biggest fear but once I saw that I was being left in the dust I had no choice but to just buck up and finish.

Quote:
Wow great increase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post
Amazing feeling isn't it!

I have to say, despite coming in last I had an awesome first experience with a 5K. The other runners were very nice and a few who weren't in the 5K and just out running in general passed me by but were very, very encouraging. It made me tear up a bit!

So now I have got to work on pace for sure!

My blog!!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #998
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
I have to say, despite coming in last I had an awesome first experience with a 5K. The other runners were very nice and a few who weren't in the 5K and just out running in general passed me by but were very, very encouraging. It made me tear up a bit!
GREAT JOB! I think getting the first 5K under your belt is a huge accomplishment! You now have a better idea of what to expect and how your body will react. You go, girl!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #999
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on running your first 5k! To me you are a winner just by attempting it! You may have been behind those 20 on the course, but you were way ahead of us who are still working our way through the program and MILES ahead of the millions still on the couch!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #1000
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrush View Post
GREAT JOB! I think getting the first 5K under your belt is a huge accomplishment! You now have a better idea of what to expect and how your body will react. You go, girl!
Quote:
Congratulations on running your first 5k! To me you are a winner just by attempting it! You may have been behind those 20 on the course, but you were way ahead of us who are still working our way through the program and MILES ahead of the millions still on the couch!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Aww thank you both. Yall are making me tear up a bit too! Yea, I think I was just completely a bundle of nerves going into it. I think I may be a bit more relaxed now. Looking forward to trying to figure out my next race!

My blog!!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #1001
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Finished week 1 day 2. Maintained a 4.0 walk and 5.0 run. Did stop 1/2 way through for a 2 minute break, kids distracting me.

But after I finished C25K, I went for another 30 minutes. Ran 1 mile at a 4.5 with 2 -1 minute walking breaks. All totaled I did 4.1 miles in 61 minutes.
I feel comfortable moving up to increase my time running. Last time I struggled with it, a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #1002
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Finished week 1 day 2. Maintained a 4.0 walk and 5.0 run. Did stop 1/2 way through for a 2 minute break, kids distracting me.

But after I finished C25K, I went for another 30 minutes. Ran 1 mile at a 4.5 with 2 -1 minute walking breaks. All totaled I did 4.1 miles in 61 minutes.
I feel comfortable moving up to increase my time running. Last time I struggled with it, a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Wow great job!!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!

My blog!!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #1003
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

I'm starting tomorrow or Monday. I was supposed to start yesterday but, my work scheule got wonky. Wound up working 11 hours. However, I did start P90X LOL!! Good luck everyone!! :-)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #1004
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post
I'm starting tomorrow or Monday. I was supposed to start yesterday but, my work scheule got wonky. Wound up working 11 hours. However, I did start P90X LOL!! Good luck everyone!! :-)
Good luck to you! Can't wait to read about your progress!

My blog!!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #1005
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Hi ALL!

I am joining you from: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post47344285

I'm 47, out of shape, overweight, hypertensive.... and I'm SICK of it!
I started working night shift again 8 years ago and in that time, I have gained 60 pounds, have no energy, could sleep 24/7, and have developed the worst eating habits.... Also in that time I have GAINED 2 grandchildren whom I absolutely adore and want to have the energy to play with. This things along with financial incentive from my company to get healthy have started my quest for The Expedition Everest Challenge....

So I did my very First Couch to 5k workout today. Just let me tell you 30 seconds seems like a long time. I am definately a beginner.... my walk was at 2.3 and my jog was at 4.0. But that is all I can do right now. I didnt get winded but my right calf was cramping up a good bit. I thought my problem would be my left big toe, since it has been broken and trying to heal for about a year but so far "boo-boo toe" is holding up.

Looking forward to chatting with ya'll and getting healthier.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: