Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #16
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkbyday
I've never been upgraded, but I was asked to downgrade

We were checking into POR and they were overbooked - they asked if we would mind moving to one of the All Stars - um, yes we would thank you...

We did not move, but the next family checking in had no choice.
Whoa! Whoa! That is a hideous story! If they asked me to downgrade I'd have been like ummm absolutely not and if there isn't enough room here (which is obviously not my fault!) then I guess you can UPGRADE me. Gosh, I am mad just reading that and I am pretty easygoing.

It sucks that they can force you to downgrade. I'd would be so fricken mad.
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 AM   #17
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We were checking into POR and they were overbooked - they asked if we would mind moving to one of the All Stars - um, yes we would thank you...

And now I'm worried. I check into POR on Saturday!!!! Lol
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissarose View Post
And now I'm worried. I check into POR on Saturday!!!! Lol
It was a long time ago, I really wouldn't worry about it. AND honestly, that wasn't the worst of what happened there. Fortunately, I have not read anything like what we experienced since then, so I would like to think it was an isolated incident.

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Resort upgrades are done for the benefit of the resort and one has absolutely no control over whether they get one or not. There is no way of knowing when or where it will happen.

If you check the fine print on your reservation, all Disney owes you is a room on property. So downgrades could be as possible as upgrades.

Many CM's report the one way NOT to get an upgrade is to ask for one. It is better to allow the CM the opportunity to do so, without expectations by the customer.

There is no problem is asking how much an upgrade would cost. However, if you choose to do so, realize that you are basically doing a new reservation and you would lose any discounts currently on your reservation.

If you look at the amount of people who check-in to the Disney resorts each year, compared to the few amount of people who posted they received an upgrade, it probably averages about 1 percent.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken
Last Feb we were scheduled to stay at POR in a royal room and were moved over to the POLY TPV room
That is one sweet upgrade
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
That is one sweet upgrade
That was done because the resort booked the Royal Rooms expecting them to be completed and they were not done in time.

That was one time when Disney did feel that they greatly needed to make this up to their guests. Not only was it considered a refurbishment of the resort, but there were very special themed rooms that had been especially pressed via marketing by Disney.

This is one time when they felt they were greatly inconveniencing their guests and thus the upgrade from moderate to deluxe.

I can tell you it was mostly a huge disappointment at first for many of the guests who we followed on the POR thread. It was great what Disney did and almost all of the guests were pleased with the choice of the Poly in the end.

But you can imagine their disappointment of just barely missing getting into the new rooms; some whom had booked months in advance.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Never, Ever recieved an upgrade in a room! Did get to apply my daughters pin code to my reservation for free dining because her name was on it too. I thought that was great!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
soccer mom
DIS Veteran

The first time we stayed at AKL it was an upgrade from POFQ. They decided to closed POFQ for rehab and forgot to tell us! They called four days before we were going to leave and apologized. They upgraded us to AKL Savannah view!

Although it wasn't a resort upgrade, when we stayed at BWI we were upgraded from standard view to club level waterview. It was awesome! I think that was during the Year of a Million Dreams promotion.

Only two upgrades we have ever had.....but then again Disney World is an upgrade from a Michigan winter no matter how you look at it!
CSR - December 2011
POFQ - November 2010, 2009, 2008
WL - Return from Iraq Celebration! - December 2007
BWI - First Time No Kids! - January 2007
ALK - December 2005
POR - January 2005
WL - November 2003
BC/Poly - November 2002
AKL - November 2001
POFQ - December 1999
FW Cabins - December 1994, 1991
FW Campgrounds - March 1985, 1981, 1976

Last edited by soccer mom; 01-28-2013 at 04:11 PM.
soccer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

In 2009, when the YC was being refurbed, DH and I went to check in for our stay there. At the time, they had a stay 4 nights, get 3 free promotion going on. We were staying 6 nights, so we only got 2 free, but hey, that's still great!

Anyway, when we checked in, they asked us if we would be willing to move to Boardwalk and they would give us one night free (so we would only be paying for 3 instead of 4). DH really wanted to take the offer, but I had my heart set on YC. We politely declined the offer. They ended up putting us in a handicap accessible room. That didn't bother me though, we were on the first floor and SUPER close to the lobby.

I hope they weren't upset with me for not going to the Boardwalk. But it was presented as an offer, not a demand.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #25
Mike&AllisMom
Mouseketeer

We have been upgraded during both visits - from standard view to wood view at WL and from garden view to deluxe garden view at GF. I almost jumped up & down at check in when I saw the upgrade Now I am finding it difficult not to go ahead & just book the deluxe room again, so their "free" upgrade sold me on booking a more expensive room this trip.

Wilderness Lodge May 2009
CSR, Grand Floridian May 2011

Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Wilderness Lodge 12/25 - 12/26, Grand Floridian CL 12/26 - 1/5/2015

Mike&AllisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
In 08, we arrived at CSR and at check in, the CM asked if we would rather stay at the Beach Club. ummm, yes please! i wish i could afford to stay there again!
Apparently, the Osmonds came in at the last minute.
If I had known the Osmonds were going to be there, I would have never left LOL. LOVED them growing up, especially JAY

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
augusta1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine

Wow. Disney must have really screwed up.
My thought too!

Me DH DD DD
2010-ASM, 2011-CBR, 2012- POP, 2013- POP, 2014- Upcoming POP!
augusta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #28
augusta1
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I didn't realize they could do that

Me DH DD DD
2010-ASM, 2011-CBR, 2012- POP, 2013- POP, 2014- Upcoming POP!
augusta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #29
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Resort upgrades are done for the benefit of the resort and one has absolutely no control over whether they get one or not. There is no way of knowing when or where it will happen.

If you check the fine print on your reservation, all Disney owes you is a room on property. So downgrades could be as possible as upgrades.

Many CM's report the one way NOT to get an upgrade is to ask for one. It is better to allow the CM the opportunity to do so, without expectations by the customer.

There is no problem is asking how much an upgrade would cost. However, if you choose to do so, realize that you are basically doing a new reservation and you would lose any discounts currently on your reservation.

If you look at the amount of people who check-in to the Disney resorts each year, compared to the few amount of people who posted they received an upgrade, it probably averages about 1 percent.
I really hope that you are wrong. If a downgrade is as possible as an upgrade, there is no incentive to pay more for a room. Wouldn't anyone knowing this just reserve the cheapest room available every time?
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #30
onelittledisneyfan
Earning My Ears

We were upgraded on our trip in Sept.October. I felt like Tinkerbell was stalking us given the amount of pixie dust we received! We arrived at AoA with a little mermaid room booked that we had booked with free dining- so already an amazing deal. We had requested a first floor. The manager saw that we had it noted on our reservation but that there were none available. We were very polite the entire time and the manager offered to upgrade us to any deluxe that we wanted for the entire 11 night trip! At the end, we picked the WL as we had not been there before and had always wanted to try it. They comped our taxi ride over. It was truly such a great gesture and definitely unexpected. I called the manager to thank her again and asked to see if I could put in a good word to her supervisor as well. She truly went above and beyond. One of the many reasons that I loved Disney!
onelittledisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: