Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
Mandersons04
Mouseketeer

Disney World Before Cruise???

Okay, I've got a really quick question. We're cruising in the Fantasy in March and we arrive the day before. We land at 2:00 PM and the original plan was to head to Downtown Disney (DisneyQuest). But now I'm wondering if we should try to head to Magic Kingdom instead. I know we'd only have a good 6 hours to enjoy the park before it closed. So what I'd like to know is if you'd do this???

And just a little background, we would have preferred to arrive on an earlier flight, but we're traveling with a group of 13 and my family of four would be the only party interested in going to MK.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

December 2010 - MVMCP
October 2011 - Disney Dream Bahamian and MNSSHP
September 2012 - Disney Magic Canada
March 2013 - Disney Fantasy Western
December 2014 - Disney Wonder Western and MVMCP
Mandersons04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
footballmouse
DIS Veteran

That's a lot of money to pay for just 6 hrs. Are you staying at a resort so you might be able to get evening extra hours? I guess if it's not going to be a crowded day I might consider it. I think just going to DTD & getting something to eat there would be fine too. You'll be resting up for an exciting next day.
footballmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Mandersons04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballmouse
That's a lot of money to pay for just 6 hrs. Are you staying at a resort so you might be able to get evening extra hours? I guess if it's not going to be a crowded day I might consider it. I think just going to DTD & getting something to eat there would be fine too. You'll be resting up for an exciting next day.
We're staying at the Hyatt MCO the night before (its free for us) so no extra magic hours for us. And from looking at past days, it doesn't seem like they do extra magic hours on Fridays at Magic Kingdom. If we went, we'd be going on March 1.

It is a lot of money but it's like how can I be so close and not go. LOL. I've got a feeling that we'll be doing just Downtown Disney.

December 2010 - MVMCP
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
cinmouse
Mouseketeer

I might, 6 hours is a good amount of time. If you know what you want to see and will not be disappointed in missing something, I am always up for a day trip if near the World.
That being said, you will be staying at the airport, so you will loss a few hours checking into your hotel, getting a car (or taxi) and then getting over to the park.
I would just see how the travel day goes and if you can swing it then do it..although you are on vacation with a large group it is still your vacation so enjoy it!
cinmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Mandersons04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinmouse
I might, 6 hours is a good amount of time. If you know what you want to see and will not be disappointed in missing something, I am always up for a day trip if near the World.
That being said, you will be staying at the airport, so you will loss a few hours checking into your hotel, getting a car (or taxi) and then getting over to the park.
I would just see how the travel day goes and if you can swing it then do it..although you are on vacation with a large group it is still your vacation so enjoy it!
Thank you for your input. I think that's what we're going to do, play it by ear and decide once we land. We already have the rental reserved because Downtown Disney was the original plan. I guess it's a good thing we have another trip planned for later this year so we'll get to see the new Fantasyland then.

December 2010 - MVMCP
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

As much as I love visiting WDW and I think that is a lot to cram into 6 hours. If you purchase park tickets ahead of time and your flight is delayed then you laid out money for nothing (yes you can use another time but it would still bother me to lay out all that money and not be able to go right away). Figure in the travel time back and forth, parking at the MK, getting into the MK, etc. Sure it is doable but I would feel rushed.

We often had 6 hours to kill before our flight home from a cruise and we opted to do downtown disney. We hit a movie, had lunch, shopped and had plenty of time to head back to the airport. Yours would just be in reverse and you could stay at DD as long as you wanted until you went back to your hotel.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Mandersons04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37
As much as I love visiting WDW and I think that is a lot to cram into 6 hours. If you purchase park tickets ahead of time and your flight is delayed then you laid out money for nothing (yes you can use another time but it would still bother me to lay out all that money and not be able to go right away). Figure in the travel time back and forth, parking at the MK, getting into the MK, etc. Sure it is doable but I would feel rushed.

We often had 6 hours to kill before our flight home from a cruise and we opted to do downtown disney. We hit a movie, had lunch, shopped and had plenty of time to head back to the airport. Yours would just be in reverse and you could stay at DD as long as you wanted until you went back to your hotel.

MJ
Thanks MJ! The more I think about it, the more my sensible and logical side is saying not to do it. I know we'll enjoy Downtown Disney, so I think that's what I'm going to stick with. Thanks everyone!

December 2010 - MVMCP
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
macfinn
Chief Vacation Planner and Dis Dad's Club Member #58

Did u check to see if extra magic hours are day or night for the time you are going if so you just increased your time at mk.....?

macfinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: