Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
The DIS is NOT the place to ask people for opinons about other cruise lines. Check out Cruise Critic. Most of the people who will answer you on here are die-hard Disney fans, and you won't get an unbiased answer.

Having cruised several lines with kids, mine have always had a great time no matter where they are. And we were always big Disney people, going to the parks a lot.....but the attraction to the parks were the rides, not the characters....my kids weren't the kind to stand in line just to shake Mickey's hand......they just wanted to have fun, and they did do that on all of the different cruise lines.

Yes, Carnival has had some difficulties, but I also think they're more highly publicized. Also, the more ships you have, the more problems will hit the news.
ANY CRUISE SHIP COULD HAVE A FIRE. EVEN DISNEY. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES. I know people argue that they THINK the Disney captains would handle any emergency better than others, but they're wearing blinders.
Don't focus on what MIGHT happen, just go and have fun.

And in today's economy, there is NO WAY I'd spend that much more money just so the kids could see Mickey Mouse.
Hey there Stacy!.good to see you again!

I grant your points that a Fire or any of the problems COULD happen on a DCL or any cruise line.

The difference is in proper operating, disign and maintaince.........doing these things properly prevent fires, sinking etc.

The other line dont seem to be having these issues and CARNIVIAL INC *IS* having these problems, which leads one to beleive they are not doing things right or safely.

I also disagree that everyone here is a DCL fan and will not give you a fiar review...........most will........ever read Carnival Line blog on Crusie Critic.??.........hell they tear apart Carnivail line more then anyone!

AKK

PS...........So whens the next cruise.......my wife and did the Fantasy for our 25th...had a great time. I want to do Bermuda out of NYC on RCL...............

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

I also disagree that everyone here is a DCL fan and will not give you a fiar review...........most will........ever read Carnival Line blog on Crusie Critic.??.........hell they tear apart Carnivail line more then anyone!

AKK

AKK
I will grant you that the Carnival forum is a bit harsh, but the whole forum has a tone that isn't all that collegial and friendly, kwim?
I am on cc quite a bit and I do find people over there more objective when it comes to looking at all lines equally. DCL is a luxury line, and while luxury is nice, it's not for everyone, nor is it everyone's budget. There are great experiences to be had on other lines, NCL and RCCL come up frequently, but so do Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and heck even Holland America! Plus there are so many places to explore by ship that DCL doesn't offer that if you want to keep cruising, you're bound to try more than one line at some point in your travels.
This forum has rose coloured glasses when it comes to opinions on DCL...not that it's bad, it just needs to be pointed out
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
I will grant you that the Carnival forum is a bit harsh, but the whole forum has a tone that isn't all that collegial and friendly, kwim?
I am on cc quite a bit and I do find people over there more objective when it comes to looking at all lines equally. DCL is a luxury line, and while luxury is nice, it's not for everyone, nor is it everyone's budget. There are great experiences to be had on other lines, NCL and RCCL come up frequently, but so do Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and heck even Holland America! Plus there are so many places to explore by ship that DCL doesn't offer that if you want to keep cruising, you're bound to try more than one line at some point in your travels.
This forum has rose coloured glasses when it comes to opinions on DCL...not that it's bad, it just needs to be pointed out
I agree with 99.9% of your post! However, DCL is not a luxury line. It's a fairly expensive mainstream line that caters to a certain clientele. Seabourn, Cyrstal, Regent, Silversea, and SeaDream are luxury lines. Let's not confuse people who may already be wearing those rose colored glasses!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
I agree with most of what you say, it fact one of my biggest complaints of DCL is the limit of its itinaries.

I also find that the ones who brow beat, the folks who like DCL are the ones whose only real compliant is the cost. They all agree its a great cruise, they all crusie Disney at least when they can get a deal, they just dont want to pay the price.

I also think of DCl as a luxury., but more from the point of view *the disney exprience*, its very specail, only Disney can do it, and it costs more to provide. It si much more then just a few charareters arounf like Dreamowrks........Disneys charaters are so much more likable( OK in my opinion and many others).

I have no problem with RCL, the Freedom cruise we took was great....as I have stated and why.I will not sail Carnivail Inc, except maybe Cunard, but I can't afford Cunard....yet I dont knock Cunard becuase I can't afford it.

I agree many here are DCL fans...........but never have I seen anyone say something about DCL that was flat out wrong. Just being a fan, doesnt mean what you are saying is wrongor cannot offer a honest opinion or are easily confuded. That is plain insulting to the fans. I do object to the attitude of some (NOT YOU) who put down others becuase they are fans.

AKK

AKK
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
avinsmomma
Earning My Ears

It looks like we've decided on a Disney Cruise, hopefully April 20, 2013 on the Magic out of Galveston.
avinsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #21
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Hey there Stacy!.good to see you again!

I grant your points that a Fire or any of the problems COULD happen on a DCL or any cruise line.

The difference is in proper operating, disign and maintaince.........doing these things properly prevent fires, sinking etc.

The other line dont seem to be having these issues and CARNIVIAL INC *IS* having these problems, which leads one to beleive they are not doing things right or safely.

AKK

PS...........So whens the next cruise.......my wife and did the Fantasy for our 25th...had a great time. I want to do Bermuda out of NYC on RCL...............

AKK

We went on two cruises last summer, both on Carnival, and had a great time. The Carnival Magic is truly an awesome ship.
And we went to an all-inclusive south of Playa del Carmen, so my "fun" trips are used up for a while.

The next "trip" is to see our son graduate from boot camp at Ft Benning.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #22
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinsmomma View Post
It looks like we've decided on a Disney Cruise, hopefully April 20, 2013 on the Magic out of Galveston.

You'll enjoy it. Galveston is a bit harder port to get in and out of.....in that transportation to and from the port isn't as readily available as most, and the hotel choices if you stay the night before the cruise aren't the best. I just wasn't impressed with Galveston Island at all. I'd heard so much about it over the years, I think I was expecting something nicer.

But you WILL have a great cruise!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #23
dan and scott
DIS Veteran

Things happen on Disney just like any other cruise line.
They do have fires just like the early morning funnel fire in 2002 on the Magic which buckled the rear stack. Everyone was called to their muster stations at 5 in the morning--READY TO ABANDON SHIP!
The Magic's funnel did not get fixed until drydock the next yr.
The Magic 07's small fireworks fire engaged the sprinklers inside of Palo and made a huge mess.
Norwalk viruses also have created bad publicity on DCL years ago but the cruise line is better at being pro-active with their procedures.

Scott
Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
We went on two cruises last summer, both on Carnival, and had a great time. The Carnival Magic is truly an awesome ship.
And we went to an all-inclusive south of Playa del Carmen, so my "fun" trips are used up for a while.

The next "trip" is to see our son graduate from boot camp at Ft Benning.

I do know you love the Magic, Carnivial that is! In all honesty, the pictures you posted did show a pretty vessel.( gee did I say that *G*)

My congradulations to your son!, We were very impressed with our sons Air Force Graduation in San Antonio!

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 01-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #25
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan and scott View Post
Things happen on Disney just like any other cruise line.
They do have fires just like the early morning funnel fire in 2002 on the Magic which buckled the rear stack. Everyone was called to their muster stations at 5 in the morning--READY TO ABANDON SHIP!
The Magic's funnel did not get fixed until drydock the next yr.
The Magic 07's small fireworks fire engaged the sprinklers inside of Palo and made a huge mess.
Norwalk viruses also have created bad publicity on DCL years ago but the cruise line is better at being pro-active with their procedures.

Scott

Somehow a insultation fire that was only smoke and scorking( not flame) does not level out with repeated fires and various vessels,that endangered all lives onboard, had the vessel adrift and not under way or command and in 3 cases, the Estexy, Spendlour and Allergo were poorly handled. There are numous other minor fires. Temporay repairs to the Magic stack, were done on the next cruise, per class reqiurements and final repairs in the yard.

And yes everyone was mustered at the boat stations, just in case.....or maybe you would prefer to do what the Captain and Costa office did, wait a hour and discuss it over the phone before mustering the passigners............losing 32 lifes when the Concordia sank.

The Magic Palo was so small and only smoke, gee............you don't see the the difference????

Yes, sicknees effects all cruise lines...never said it did not. I disgree DCL more then others, but I can't seem to find any numbers.

Things do happen to all lines, but the number of Carnivail Inc, inccidents, fires, design, operational and machenary problems, even after taking into account the number of vessels are mounting up! The lastest is the triumph(and that class of vessels) having more and more propulsion issues. The Triumph sailed late and stated they may not make the port calls. Please, freel free to sail with whatever line you feel comfortable

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 01-28-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
disneylover2170
Earning My Ears

Yes totally kid friendly and adult too it is worth the money way better than a carnival cruise they even have their own island and your hour yr old can see all the characters and all of the crew on the ship are very very nice they will do whatever u want them to do its awesome!!!!
disneylover2170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #27
avinsmomma
Earning My Ears

We are driving 850 miles to Galveston for this cruise, any suggestions on parking for the cruise? I think we can time it to drive straight into Galveston that day, is there parking at the port?
avinsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #28
dan and scott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Somehow a insultation fire that was only smoke and scorking( not flame) does not level out with repeated fires and various vessels,that endangered all lives onboard, had the vessel adrift and not under way or command and in 3 cases, the Estexy, Spendlour and Allergo were poorly handled. There are numous other minor fires. Temporay repairs to the Magic stack, were done on the next cruise, per class reqiurements and final repairs in the yard.

And yes everyone was mustered at the boat stations, just in case.....or maybe you would prefer to do what the Captain and Costa office did, wait a hour and discuss it over the phone before mustering the passigners............losing 32 lifes when the Concordia sank.

The Magic Palo was so small and only smoke, gee............you don't the the difference????

Yes, sicknees effects all cruise lines...never said it did not. I disgree DCL more then others, but I can't seem to find any numbers.

Things do happen to all lines, but the number of Carnivail Inc, inccidents, fires, design, operational and machenary problems, even after taking into account the number of vessels are mounting up! The lastest is the triumph(and that class of vessels) having more and more propulsion issues. The Triumph sailed late and stated they may not make the port calls. Please, freel free to sail with whatever line you feel comfortable

AKK
WHOOOOAAA! My post was not intended to be a "snarky" post.
We have been posting on these boards since 97 and don't pretend to no everything about DCL just stating what I recall. I must have not had all the "facts" correct.--Sorry
Rememberd the buckled stack as it was so ugly sailing a beautiful ship.

Scott
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan and scott View Post
WHOOOOAAA! My post was not intended to be a "snarky" post.
We have been posting on these boards since 97 and don't pretend to no everything about DCL just stating what I recall. I must have not had all the "facts" correct.--Sorry
Rememberd the buckled stack as it was so ugly sailing a beautiful ship.

Scott
No problem, not trying to be snarky myself, I guess it came off as such, my pardon!

Yes I do remember how bad she looked, and they tryed to do some creative painting and hide it, but it still stood out!

I am a big fan of the classic liners and that *look*.......one reason I enjoy DCL.

In fact I still think the S/S United States and disney magic and pixie dust would be a great match..........alas I know it will never happen,but I still never say never on anything Maritime related.

AKK
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinsmomma View Post
We are driving 850 miles to Galveston for this cruise, any suggestions on parking for the cruise? I think we can time it to drive straight into Galveston that day, is there parking at the port?

Good thing you're driving!! That makes it so much easier. There is a LOT of parking at the port. There will be people there to direct you when you arrive.
One nice thing about the cruise ports, most of them run like a well-oiled machine. Traffic control, parking guides, porters.....you won't have a problem.
But for more info, just Google "Galveston Cruise Port" or "Galveston Cruise Port Terminal Parking"....something along those lines, and you may find a couple of good maps, pictures, all the info you need.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: