DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #31
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
We took it the year of the big fire in Kahului...where they shut down the roads all day. It was probably like 2005 or 2006. I remember on the map they handed out they dotted out that road that was washed out meaning that was not a road so it would have been a "no no" as far as Alamo was concerned.

We talked to some locals near the winery who told us it was driveable. It was...it was just (as you said) washed out. It would have been dangerous if the tide had come in though...and you know in Hawaii it comes in fast so probably in hindsight (and now having had 2 kids) it wasn't the best decision. But my husband and I were still living dangerously at the time
Thanks, I do remember it being a little scary though.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #32
tor
DIS Veteran

We made the drive many years ago. It was well worth it stopped at waterfalls and did some swimming. One waterfall went from a trickle to a torrent in minutes. Swam in the sacred pools and continued to Lindbergh's grave sight.

The back road was dirt in most spots but nothing the mustang I rented from Alamo couldnt handle. Maybe the bottom got a little scraped up I didnt see any grass farmers selling bags but did see a lot of cows
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #33
ccigliano
DVC Member WLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa71 View Post
We drove once and once we did the tour where you fly back via helicopter and it was amazing!!!!!!!! We stopped and were told what was native and what not and fed a few mongoose as well !
We did this too and when i was the driver and missed out on a lot. When we did the tour we took a custom van where everyone had a captains seat and a full window and then we took the copter back over Haleakala. I would do this tour again.
Off Site Dec 97 ~ CSR Dec 98 ~ OKW Dec 99 ~ OKW Dec 00 ~ WLV Dec 01 ~ WLV Mar 02 ~ WLV Dec 02 ~ WLV Dec 03 ~ WLV Nov 04 ~ WLV Feb 05 ~ SSR/WLV Dec 05 ~ WLV May 06 ~ WLV Nov 06 ~ WLV Dec07 ~ SSR Apr 08 ~ OKW Sep 08 ~ WLV Nov/Dec 08 ~ WLV Dec 09 ~ AKV KSV Feb 10 ~ BLT LV May 10 ~ SSR Sep 10 ~ WLV Nov 10 ~ SSR Jan11 ~ WLV/BCV Mar 11~Dream/WLV Dec 11~WLV Feb 12~Grand Floridian/WLV Dec12~WLV Jan13~WLV Mar 13~WLV Dec 13~GCV Jan 14~VBV/AKV Aug 14~WLV Dec14

ccigliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #34
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

I've done the drive a couple of times on our own - the road is paved now (it didn't USED TO BE). We enjoyed it and would do it again but not with DS with us. Spending all day in a car "sightseeing" waterfalls is not his idea of a good time!! I would not take kids on the road to Hana. It's a long day. I DO hope to make it back up to Haleakala tho on our next trip. That's another thing we skipped on our last trip to Maui because we had DS with us. Didn't think he'd go for the getting up at 2:30 AM thing. But now he's a swimmer and we're all pretty much used to the o'dark-thirty hours so I want to go go again!! It's a good excuse for a do-nothing-but-lounge-around-the-pool kind of day for the rest of your day!! IMO the Road to Hana should be done at least once if you're kid-free!! But just do it on your own and take your time...and as others have already said head back well before dark!!

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
Lisa Anne Colling
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Anal Annie;47316956]I've done the drive a couple of times on our own - the road is paved now (it didn't USED TO BE). We enjoyed it and would do it again but not with DS with us. Spending all day in a car "sightseeing" waterfalls is not his idea of a good time!! I would not take kids on the road to Hana. It's a long day. QUOTE]

I think it depends on the kids. Mine were, 9, 10 and 12 and loved it. I think it is in the planning too. We did geocaching, hiking, swimming in the ocean, swimming in waterfalls, explored blow holes, lava tubes, and tidal pools. The kids loved it all and the adventure!
Lisa Anne Colling is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: