Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Renting points

Not sure if this is a controversial topic so if it is please just close it before I get flamed but......

I'm looking at booking a Disney trip for Thanksgiving week. I looked into two options.

Option #1 - AOA Little Mermaid room $1346
Options #2 - Renting DVC points for BWV studio $1364

I'm just curious as to why more people don't rent points instead of booking direct. What are your reasons?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
Not sure if this is a controversial topic so if it is please just close it before I get flamed but......

I'm looking at booking a Disney trip for Thanksgiving week. I looked into two options.

Option #1 - AOA Little Mermaid room $1346
Options #2 - Renting DVC points for BWV studio $1364

I'm just curious as to why more people don't rent points instead of booking direct. What are your reasons?
One thing to consider is that a BWV studio will have 1 queen bed and 1 double sleep sofa. Little Mermaid will have 2 doubles. The studio will have kitchenette, including a microwave, small fridge, toaster, coffee maker, sink. BWV is a great location, walking distance to both Epcot & DHS.

Renting points is usually a final transaction, no cancellations. You will not be in control of the reservation, everything has to go through the member. That scares some people from renting.
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
unionville
DIS Veteran

We rented points for our Thanksgiving 2012 vacation. We rented through Davids and stayed at Saratoga Springs. This was our first experience renting points although we have stayed at the Disney Vacation Resorts multiple times with my sister. We prefer the Vacation resorts and will definitely plan to rent again in the future. It was so easy and we saved lots of money. One thing to remember is that when you rent you are treated as a member. That means your room gets trash and towel service on the 4th day but will not receive a daily full cleaning. For us, this works but I can see this would be a problem for some.
*Christmas 1996: WDW All Star Music Resort *Christmas 2002: WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas *June 2003: Universal's Royal Pacific Resort *January 2004: WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge *May 2004: Carnival Victory (Bahamas) *October 2004: WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas & MNSSHP *February 2005: WDW Wilderness Lodge Resort *Christmas 2005: Disney Magic (Western Carribean) *June 2006: Universal's Portofino Bay Resort *Thanksgiving 2006: WDW Polynesian Resort *Christmas 2006: Disney's Hilton Head Resort *Easter 2007: Carribean Princess Cruise (Eastern Carribean) *June/July 2007: Holland America Zuiderdam (Alaska land and sea) *December 2007: Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & MVMCP *Christmas 2007: Disney's Hilton Head Resort *June 2008: Disneyland's Grand Californian Hotel *June 2008: Disney Magic (Mexican Riviera) *Christmas 2008: Snowmobiling in Yellowstone *Thanksgiving 2009: Carnival Glory (Eastern Carribean) *Christmas 2009: Disney's Hilton Head Resort *July 2010: Universal's Portofino Bay Resort & Discovery Cove *Thanksgiving 2010: WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas *June 2011: Carnival Dream (Western Carribean) *June 2012: Carnival Magic (Western Carribean) *Thanksgiving 2012: WDW Saratogo Springs Resort
unionville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Kingdome8
Mouseketeer

I just rented. Going soon. I feel pretty comfortable about it. the girl I worked with was great. Don't think I could do it though without a broker.
But the deal is great. I'd probaly stay in a value place if it wasn't for renting points. But I do want to buy dvc in next year or so
Kingdome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionville View Post
One thing to remember is that when you rent you are treated as a member. That means your room gets trash and towel service on the 4th day but will not receive a daily full cleaning. For us, this works but I can see this would be a problem for some.
I keep looking at the DVC rentals, but I do like to come back to a nice, tidy room every day. We're a family of 5, so we go through a lot of towels and the room can get pretty messy. I don't want to cook or clean AT ALL on vacation, so the villas don't seem as appealing on the rental basis. I would probably do cash for it if there was a really good discount.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I don't love relying on the member to do everything for us. We also like to do DDP and we don't like paying that to the member up front to book it for us. We also don't like that there isn't daily maid service.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

It's really about comfort level and what you want. renting is actual how we got our first exposure to the dvc.

for us it was all about space and location. my sons and husband are all tall and big so we loved the space.

Now i don't cook on a vacation but we love, love having the full sized refrigerator (we usually go with a 1 bedroom). no more running to fill mugs and we had bottles of water, milk and soda at our finger tips.

We don't do the ddp so that's not an issue for me.

Lastly, for us there is nothing like being able to walk to epcot.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
I keep looking at the DVC rentals, but I do like to come back to a nice, tidy room every day. We're a family of 5, so we go through a lot of towels and the room can get pretty messy. I don't want to cook or clean AT ALL on vacation, so the villas don't seem as appealing on the rental basis. I would probably do cash for it if there was a really good discount.
You do have the option of paying for extra housekeeping, if that is important to you. It might still be cheaper to rent points and pay for extra housekeeping than to go with a cash reservation. Just a thought to throw in the mix. . . .
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
patty57
DIS Veteran

I have rented a couple of times, and would do it again. What prevents me from renting all the time is the no cancellation policy. Sometimes I know before I reserve, that there is a possibility I might have to cancel. You can't rent DVC points in that instance. I've also started staying at the Swan/Dolphin which is usually a comparable savings to renting DVC points, with the added bonus of being in control of my reservation and being able to cancel. If I utilized the dining plan, I'm sure I wouldn't stay at the Swan/Dolphin, but I don't.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
mymickeyfans
Mouseketeer

I believe you can buy into the Dining Plan when using Davids.
mymickeyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
patty57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymickeyfans View Post
I believe you can buy into the Dining Plan when using Davids.
You can buy the dining plan when renting points from David or anyone else. You can't get it at the Swan/Dolphin, which is what I was referring to.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: