Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #31
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoticsweetness View Post
You can use the buses even if you don't stay onsite. It really is free.
People who stay off site are paying crazy high prices for tickets. Part of those transportation costs are embedded there. Maybe that is what is covered with the hopper fees. but I don't think it is fair to say anything at Disney is free. I guess, if someone parked at DTD, rode a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge, walked around the resort, and then took the bus back to DTD and left. That might be considered free.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #32
erikaluvsdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsMommy View Post
I can't say whether they're good or bad, but the lines for the All Star buses were ALWAYS 4-5 rows deep.
I agree....We frequently have stayed at POR and found the size of the resort doesn't necessarily effect the timeliness of the busses, but sometimes the number of people in line make your wait longer

1980 Tree House Villas; 1987 Polynesian
1990 Off site- band trip; 1992 Off site
1996 Wilderness Lodge; 2001 Yacht Club
May, 2005 POR; May 2006 POR; Feb 2007 POR
Oct, 2007 SS & MNSSHP Feb, 2008 BCV
Dec 2008 OKW ; Feb 2010 BC
Oct 2011 POR; June 2013 WL
erikaluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #33
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinotinto View Post
I am the OP and I completely disagree with this post. Having stayed 3 times at YC/BC and loving those resorts, I will not be staying there again due to the bus service. Sure, you don't wait *that* much for the bus, but most buses stop at all 5 Boardwalk area resorts. So, my experience is that even if you get picked up in 5-15 minutes, it will still take you an hour to reach your destination, due to all the stops.

When we stayed at AKL the wait for the bus may have been the same, but there were only two stops (Jambo and Kidani), and they were *very* close to each other, so in effect you were going direct from your stop to all destinations. And because the bus didn't break down or needed to stop in the way, overall, it took us less time to get to Epcot than taking the monorail from Poly. It also took us less time to get to other parks than from the Poly, because we stopped at GF to pick up guests (and Poly and GF are not as close lobby to lobby as Kidani and Jambo). So, I know, because I have experienced it, that if I were to rate the resorts I have stayed at, there would be a clear pecking order in terms of bus:
1. AKL
2. Poly
3. BC and YC

I am not basing my review on how long to wait for the bus, but on the bus schedule and routing setup of shared bus service. And I am not an experienced Diser like many here who have stayed in multiple places and can make further comparisons.
I agree about AKL and Kidani. Only two stops at the resort. Plus it is a comfortable place to wait, unlike most of the value resorts. I toured Pop last summer and AoA and I didn't like the chains and queues while waiting for a bus.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #34
StillWorldlyWise
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
We have stayed at CBR, WL, AKL, BC, GF, & Poly and while all resorts have their share of "not-so-good" bus service, our best was at CBR and our worst was at BC. With that said, we are go with the flow kind of people and are never in a hurry when on vacation, so we don't mind if it takes a little longer to get somewhere. Also, our bad experience at the BC wasn't that bad to where it would keep us from staying there again or try another Epcot resort, we would just be more prepared.
It has been several years since we stayed there, but CBR was our worst experience. I think it has a lot to do with your island at that one since it is so spread out. Ours was one of the last stops and it seemed like every bus was already full by the time they got to us.

Frankly, they are all pretty good since i don't have the stroller anymore. That was never fun (for me or anyone next to me).
StillWorldlyWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
dalayney
Mouseketeer

Well, off subject here, but I have THEE absolute WORST timing, when it comes to getting in ANY checkout line, ... in ANY store. Doesn't matter if it's a target, or grocery store... if I get in line? Something happens to the customers in front of me, that stops the line cold. Long price check, someone's credit card declines.... something. I am cursed, and my husband can verify this.

Praying this curse does NOT follow me to disneyworld! We're going Feb 24th-March 4th, and I'm hoping it does not affect my ride lines, OR the bus lines!
dalayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #36
artemis908
EPCOTnaut

One of the reasons I like staying at Epcot deluxe resorts is because I have to use the bus service half as much as I would at the moderates/value. I can walk or boat to Epcot and DHS, so I only need to really worry about MK and AK for the bus. When Dixie Landings existed I thought the bus stop was far away from our hotel and then with CBR I think it only felt like we waited a lot for a long time because we had to count on the bus service so much vs Beach Club where it probably happened half as much because we only used it half the time.
artemis908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #37
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWorldlyWise View Post
It has been several years since we stayed there, but CBR was our worst experience. I think it has a lot to do with your island at that one since it is so spread out. Ours was one of the last stops and it seemed like every bus was already full by the time they got to us.

That sounds like our first, (and our only), stay at CBR. While we loved the beauty of the resort, the bus situation really hammered us the whole time we were there. We usually have a rent car, but this was a spur-of-the-moment trip, and we thought we'd go sans rental car. Probably will try to avoid that situation in the future.
We've also had extremely long wait times and commutes from MK to POR after a hard ticket event...well over an hour just to get a seat...but we try to plan accordingly now. Thankfully, we too are out of the "stroller toting/toddler holding" stage of our vacations now.
As always, your "mileage" will vary on any given day!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #38
dchronister
Mouseketeer

I'm sure the buses start out on 20 minute intervals in the morning, but so many things happen with a bus during a day, evc loading and unloading takes alot of times and if the same bus does it everytime in a day, that takes up alot of time and throws it out of sync and off its 20 minute interval. We stayed at BWV in 2011 and they are on the end of the pickups at all the epcot hotels. I normally don't mind the bus rides, glad to give up the car for a week, but stop after stop after stop, in the moring and the evening. You would think maybe they could run it in reverse in the evening so those staying at BW could get a break and get to go first once in a while. I think I remember once or twice not having to go all the pick ups, not sure. We started getting off the bus at the Dolphin and walking over the bridge. My husband stayed on the bus one night just for comparison sake to see if we really were saving any time and I beat him back to the resort by 20 minutes. Otherwise, the buses are great. I go to Disney to relax so I try not to sweat anything, go with the flow. We did have to have the security guard call us a bus one evening after waiting at BB for an hour and a half, which really stunk because we had dinner ressies that we missed. Buses are always hit and miss so please don't try to pick a resort based upon that. I have always heard that OKW has awful bus service, we have stayed there twice and it has always been great, but my great may be someone else's awful. You will just have to give it a whirl and see what you get. Regardless, have a good trip and don't let any of that stuff bother you.
dchronister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #39
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

I've had really bad bus experiences at the Poly since it often shares a bus with both CR and GF. Usually pick up is great but drop off takes forever. Thankfully the rest of the Poly's features make up for the bus system but we end up driving when the monorail isn't an option.

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #40
Gantu
Oh,,,,,blitznac!

Our worst was: WL and All Star Movies

Best was Pop

11/09 WL ~ 5/11 SSW POP ~ 8/12 Disneyland / DCA
5/31-6/9/13 AOA- YC - POR

Trip to come!!!! I really won a trip to Disney World!
Gantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #41
catra121
DIS Veteran

I had good experience with bus service at POR and CSR.

I had GREAT bus service at Pop.

I liked the set up at Pop with its own bus service (no sharing with other resorts) and the fact that each park had it's own line for buses instead of it being a free for all when the right bus pulled up and everyone ran up to the front (sometimes rather rudely) at the moderates.

At all the resorts I stayed at I particularly liked that none shared with another resort (though there were multiple stops around the SAME resort at POR and CSR where as Pop just has one location with separate lines for each park). I felt like I always got wherever I was going in a timely manner.

The one thing I can say about Pop is that there WILL be a long line when you leave the parks at closing...but it really does move fast. They get those buses there quickly and often double stack them so they are loading two at a time. If you need a seat as opposed to standing it's not much longer of a wait to just wait for the next bus.

Then again...I'm not an impatient person so what seems like a reasonable wait time to me may seem absolutely ridiculous to the next person. People often think they are waiting much longer than they really are when the lines are long, regardless of how quickly or efficiently they move. I see it at Disney and I see it everywhere else too...so remember that two people can experience the exact same wait in the same line and one will think it is ridiculously long while the other may think it went very fast. Such is life...

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #42
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
CSR usually has excellent bus service. The moderates tend to have better service than either the value resorts or the deluxe resorts.
Csr casitas ... amazing bus service. In 8 days making multi trips most days never waited more than 15 mins to or from a park and since its central all the rides were short.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #43
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
I love the values, but I gotta say that the bus service to the All-Stars is the worst. There are three resorts using one bus. Especially if you are in Movies, which is the last to be picked up and dropped off. Many times the bus pulls up already full from the other two resorts, so you. And they are usually the last bus stop at the parks- they want to remind you you are staying in the cheap hotel!
And I disagree with this totally! Which just proves that while one guest has a bad experience at resort, another guest may have a great experience.

I've stayed at the All Stars 4 times. And in my experiences, each All Star has its own bus, and shares only during the middle of the day, when hardly anyone is using them.

Plus, the bus stops at the parks are not set, the do move around a bit. The stops are not set up with all deluxe stops closer to the gate, and then the moderates a bit farther out, and then the values. It is way more random than that.

As far as the boardwalk area usually having bad bus service, I found the same thing. However, it kind of balances out with being able to walk to Epcot and either walk or boat to the Disney Studios.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #44
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
45 minutes is not a long wait?
Forty-five minutes is a problem since - as posted above - buses are routed/scheduled to arrive about every twenty minutes. It sounds like one of your buses had trouble.

Buses don't go back and forth between two points. The routing is calculated so each bus arrives at a destination every twenty minutes.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #45
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

I actually had decent service at both Movies and CBR. I usually get going at about 7am and come back around 9pm. I think the coming back at night is the worst, but since I usually do a resort dinner, my travel includes a few buses. I have taken almost all of the resort buses and I feel they are all about the same. I really think it has a lot more to do with timing.

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: