Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #61
lililoo12
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 334

And isn't it a persons responsibility to check how many bags are delivered when they are delivered and once you accept the bags the responsibility of bell hop is void?
lililoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #62
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran
 
theworldneedscolor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by lililoo12 View Post
See if I knew I had gift cards in a bag I gave other people I do not care how tired I was that would be the first bag I checked. It makes her story a little fishy. I would never give gift cards to luggage at all, but then let alone do that and not make sure that bag is there when delivered.
I accidentally left my bag with my wallet and camera in it in a hotel lobby late at night after a long day at Disneyland. It happens. I am usually very, very cautious about money and valuables. Everyone makes mistakes when they are tired and flustered. It doesn't make them irresponsible, and definitely not "fishy".
__________________
DMom DDad Me! DSister Leroy Oreo

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #63
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran
 
MinnieLovesMickey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.
Posts: 2,095

I'm surprised Disney did anything at all because who knows for sure if there really were any gift cards in that bag, how much they were really worth, or who if anybody even took them.

If it was their policy to replace stolen items I think everybody would start having laptops and gift cards stolen on a regular basis.

Had that happened to me I never would have even thought to try and get someone else to pay for my own mistake.

OP said she had SOME receipts for some of the gift cards and was able to get some of them replaced at Target. Why not have all the receipts?

I think OP should be considered VERY lucky that anything at all was done for her.
__________________
10/27-11/6/11 All Star Music Family Suite (QSDP) --Family trip 1/26-2/1/12 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista --Adults Only trip
4/16-4/21/12 Rosen Inn --Adults Only Trip 10/27-11/4/12 All Star Music Family Suite (DDP) --Family Trip
4/14-4/19/13 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista -- Adults Only Trip 11/10-11/16/13 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Adults Only Trip
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #64
GOOFY26
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeastern, Pa
Posts: 245

My niece had clothes she bought at the mall in Florida stolen from her room at All Star she notified the front desk and asked for the manger and the front desk wouldn't let her talk to the manager. She got no help with Disney at all. This happened Nov 2012 and still nothing from Disney.
GOOFY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #65
lililoo12
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I'm surprised Disney did anything at all because who knows for sure if there really were any gift cards in that bag, how much they were really worth, or who if anybody even took them.

If it was their policy to replace stolen items I think everybody would start having laptops and gift cards stolen on a regular basis.

Had that happened to me I never would have even thought to try and get someone else to pay for my own mistake.

OP said she had SOME receipts for some of the gift cards and was able to get some of them replaced at Target. Why not have all the receipts?

I think OP should be considered VERY lucky that anything at all was done for her.
yup i agree. very lucky anything was done. People may read this thread and try to pull a fast one considering no proof was needed smh
lililoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #66
rgf207
DIS Veteran
 
rgf207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,527

The 'Disney can do no wrong' crowd on here are simply amazing. Of course Disney is responsible. It doesn't matter if the company is contracted out. They represent Disney. Heck, Disney even advertises that you can check your bags and head to the park. It's part of the DME video. So how can people say Disney isn't responsible. Who is responsible? The OP, for using the service that Disney advertises as safe? You can't prove who took the Ops stuff but she left it with the company that Disney advertised to keep their stuff secure so they are responsible.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using DISBoards
__________________


2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #67
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 11,286

I have no reason whatsoever to doubt the OPs account of what happened. I believe her completely. But I still think she is really lucky that she was compensated for anything at all. But she really has no proof that anything was stolen. All she can do is claim that something is missing.

Again- if push came to shove, how do you prove that you ever had what you claim is stolen? Did she have a claim tag for the bag? Some kind of proof as to the contents of the bag?

I can see why any hotel would be hesitant to take responsibility for claims of theft. What is to stop me from marching up to the manager and claiming that all my jewellery, my lap top, and my fabulously expensive DSLR with all it's lenses were stolen? I would hope that one of the first questions they asked would be whether or not I could prove that I had them in the first place.

Just sayin- it's not all cut and dried.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #68
kandb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,253

Two trips ago, we had to change rooms because they were doing loud construction outside of our hotel room (POR). My mom was with us and we had to pack the whole room up and the bellhop picked all our bags up. When they delivered to our new room, a bag of my mothers was gone (it had her water pic inside it). I think sometimes they misplace or lose bags, because I'm sure a used water pic isn't on the list for thieves to want. Anyhow, it's a lesson learned. You aren't the first or won't be the last to not take something with you that you shouldn't have. We had our camera stolen from our stroller on our first day at MK around 4 years ago. We were sitting in IASW, and I was thinking to myself, "I shouldn't of left our camera on the stroller", when we came out it was gone. You live and learn. Hope the rest of your trip was magical.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #69
Kaylasmomma
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: cincy, ohio
Posts: 225

wow first I am sorry that happened to you.

Last time we went to Disney we gave ALL our luggage to the bell hop (if thats what they are called LOL) camera bags everything
We arrived like 3hrs before check in and went to the pool. Our car had actually broke down as we pulled into valet.. Disney took care of getting our vehicle to maintenance everything.
ALL our bags arrived to our room nothing missing but this was 5yrs ago
We were totally planning to do the same thing but now I am not so sure because reading some of these replies (didnt have time to read 5 pages) the theft seems to happen a lot
Kaylasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #70
Kaylasmomma
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: cincy, ohio
Posts: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
The 'Disney can do no wrong' crowd on here are simply amazing. Of course Disney is responsible. It doesn't matter if the company is contracted out. They represent Disney. Heck, Disney even advertises that you can check your bags and head to the park. It's part of the DME video. So how can people say Disney isn't responsible. Who is responsible? The OP, for using the service that Disney advertises as safe? You can't prove who took the Ops stuff but she left it with the company that Disney advertised to keep their stuff secure so they are responsible.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using DISBoards

wow first post that made REAL sense in the whole thread there were some really not so nice posts
Kaylasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #71
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylasmomma View Post
wow first I am sorry that happened to you.

Last time we went to Disney we gave ALL our luggage to the bell hop (if thats what they are called LOL) camera bags everything
We arrived like 3hrs before check in and went to the pool. Our car had actually broke down as we pulled into valet.. Disney took care of getting our vehicle to maintenance everything.
ALL our bags arrived to our room nothing missing but this was 5yrs ago
We were totally planning to do the same thing but now I am not so sure because reading some of these replies (didnt have time to read 5 pages) the theft seems to happen a lot
I don't think theft happens a lot. I have no problems letting Disney handle my bags. But I don't leave cash or gift cards or anything like that with them either. There is being trusting, and then there is being not smart. And leaving cash or the equivalent with any luggage service, or valet, or bus driver is just not smart. It is a shame the OP had a momentary lapse in judgement and was distracted, and someone took advantage of that.

I will say it astounds me how trusting some people on these boards are. You see so many posts from people who think nothing of leaving their computers and valuables strewn around the room, instead of locking them up. People who think nothing of leaving a bag full of camera gear and souvenirs in their stroller while they go on rides. Theft is a crime of opportunity. Don't give crooks the opportunity!
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #72
kris4360
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 522

We bought a picture of mickey that we watched one if the artists draw. It disappeared out of our room while we were at a park. The manager of the resort did have it replaced with a similar one, but it just wasn't the same
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #73
ariel5884
Mouseketeer

 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LONG ISLAND, NY
Posts: 433

Theft

When the valet took our luggage he asked how many bags we had and we said "alot" so he didn't bother counting or giving us a claim ticket. Second off we were going straight to our room and the cart was in a area only accessible to employees. Yes I usually keep the gift cards in my luggage but by unforseeable circumstances they were in another bag. I usually don't leave valuables out and the one time I did "poof", yeah I learned my lesson I will not do this ever again. You know what though I really don't care what was in the bag, the simple fact that it was taken was upsetting. Whether it was just magazines or not I still would have reported it. As far as me not being a nice person that is far from the truth. I have worked my entire life and been in the service industry so don't even go there. The whole point of writing this is to warn people, maybe someone like me who never thought this would happen to them. It "does" happen and I hope I can save someone the trouble that I went through.
__________________
Have a Disney day!!
ariel5884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #74
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac
 
stargazertechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,968

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel5884 View Post
When the valet took our luggage he asked how many bags we had and we said "alot" so he didn't bother counting or giving us a claim ticket. Second off we were going straight to our room and the cart was in a area only accessible to employees. Yes I usually keep the gift cards in my luggage but by unforseeable circumstances they were in another bag. I usually don't leave valuables out and the one time I did "poof", yeah I learned my lesson I will not do this ever again. You know what though I really don't care what was in the bag, the simple fact that it was taken was upsetting. Whether it was just magazines or not I still would have reported it. As far as me not being a nice person that is far from the truth. I have worked my entire life and been in the service industry so don't even go there. The whole point of writing this is to warn people, maybe someone like me who never thought this would happen to them. It "does" happen and I hope I can save someone the trouble that I went through.
I think the reason people are being a bit harsh is that there is still no proof that your bag was stolen- it was a nondescript grocery bag. For all we know it's sitting in some corner under some lost luggage at the resort.

I also think it's unwise that you left without getting a claim ticket for your bags, for a multitude of reasons.

There is a reason that all of our credit cards, IDs, gift cards, cash, etc, go into a passport wallet worn UNDER our clothes until we can get to the resort and lock them in the safe.

Live and learn.
__________________
14 Trips total including POFQ, ASMU, CBR, AKL, WL, POP, and a trip to Disneyland!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #75
lililoo12
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
I think the reason people are being a bit harsh is that there is still no proof that your bag was stolen- it was a nondescript grocery bag. For all we know it's sitting in some corner under some lost luggage at the resort.

I also think it's unwise that you left without getting a claim ticket for your bags, for a multitude of reasons.

There is a reason that all of our credit cards, IDs, gift cards, cash, etc, go into a passport wallet worn UNDER our clothes until we can get to the resort and lock them in the safe.

Live and learn.
sorry but I would not accept someone not bothering to count or give me a ticket. If that happened I would NOT be leaving my stuff until I received one and my items were counted. NO excuses
lililoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.