DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
disney queen
DIS Veteran

interesting/upsetting phone message

i am not real sure if this is the correct board; please move if needed. when i checked my messages friday, there was one from a timeshare broker letting me know that there are 2 possible buyers for my DVC. only problem--they are not for sale. the upsetting part is this person asked for my husband, who is deceased, and me BY name. i googled the phone number and it is for universal timesharesa. i do not know how they got my name and number. i called DVC administration, but they were already closed for the weekend. these properties have been in my name only for 3 years. any thoughts???

Last edited by disney queen; 01-27-2013 at 03:21 PM.
disney queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
ajasmom
Mouseketeer

Although I am not sure how they got your information. You should know that all real estate transactions are public Information. Anyone can access county records and get copies of deeds. Unfortunately this can lead to many solicitations for timeshare sales.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684

SSR 1/2013, 12/2013
Boardwalk Villas 7/2014
Caribbean Beach 11/2007; 12/2010
Contemporary 12/2004
ajasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

We have gotten calls asking if we want to sell. We tell them no and to take us off their list. They always start with we have someone interested but my DH just tells them I am obsessed with my DVC and would never part with it!!!!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

I was receiving calls similar to yours on a weekly basis from a company which claimed it had buyers as well. We are not interested in selling our timeshares, but nonetheless the calls became persistent and they were requesting money so we filed a complaint with the state. http://www.myfloridalegal.com/tshares.nsf/pages/Law
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

I got my first call like that in less than 2 months after purchasing DVC. I figured I'd like to actually use the timeshare before I sold it!

OP - as was mentioned the info is public and anyone can pull the information and begin calling or even sell the contact information they've gathered to others.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
disney queen
DIS Veteran

thanks, y'all!
disney queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

My cousin once received a letter from a real estate agent who claimed that she could sell her house in Florida that was in foreclosure! My cousin's name is listed on the deed of my grandfather's house. My parents are also on that deed. Only my cousin received this notice but it freaked all of us out because the house had no mortgage and the taxes were current. So after doing some research, it turned out to be a scam from a real estate agent trying to get her to sell the house to them for very low. I have no idea how these people are able to get all of this information but somehow they do.

All I can say to you is that there are scam artists everywhere and somehow they are able to get your information. The thing is to confront them asap.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
drusba

DIS Veteran

It is easy to get your identity as a DVC owner -- it is on the deed that is a public record with the local recorder that anyone can look up. And from idientity it is then easy to find a phone number. in fact, the indication is that the public records is where they got your identity since they had your husband's name and they are probably trailing old records (you can find old deeds and new ones in the public records) and have not updated their own searches in a while. These are an annoyance and best to just hang up and make a complaint if it continues.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Have you filed the required form so that Disney doesn't share your info? It came in the mailing with your dues bill.

Bill

Last edited by disneynutz; 01-28-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: sp
disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
paults
HOME IS WHERE BWV IS

if it keeps happening just tell them that you want $175 a point and buyer pays closing and all M fees and that you require it paid in full within 1 week after it passes ROFR. bet they won't call again and if they do just tell them the price went up another $20 a pts.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
starry_solo
DIS Veteran

I get letters all the time and I don't even OWN a timeshare (DVC or elsewhere). I did, however, used to work for a timeshare property management company. LOL
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

There are a lot of scam artists out there who will offer to sell your timeshare. They will claim all sorts of things, but the bottom line is they will ask you to pay a fee up-front.

Advanced fees are illegal in Florida, and any realtor who asks for a fee up-front to list your property is scamming you. If you check them through the State of Florida, I'd bet they are not even real estate brokers at all -- just thieves.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paults View Post
if it keeps happening just tell them that you want $175 a point and buyer pays closing and all M fees and that you require it paid in full within 1 week after it passes ROFR. bet they won't call again and if they do just tell them the price went up another $20 a pts.
They'll say OK to any price. All you have to do is send them from $399-599 so they can process the deal. After that you won't hear from them again unless it's a different company offering to get your money back for a fee. It's a known scam.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
jimim
DIS Veteran

It's funny this thread came up here. Our transfer went through today supposedly and I came home today and had a call on my house phone to sell my timeshare. thought it was interesting.

jim
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
It's funny this thread came up here. Our transfer went through today supposedly and I came home today and had a call on my house phone to sell my timeshare. thought it was interesting.

jim
Is it possible that the Broker or closing agent is selling your info?

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: