Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
I guess you could say that about every country in Epcot..

bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #17
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post

PS: OP, I think we all knew you were referring to the American Pavilion not the attraction.

Some people just have to pick everything apart.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
stoudt6
Mouseketeer

Guess I really worded my original post badly. I understand that most foods didn't originate in the U.S.A., but that doesn't mean we aren't known for them. Just saying I think our Country should be represented better then Hot Dogs and Hamburgers at a CS.
stoudt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
si-am
DIS Veteran

I always thought it would be cool if they kept the CS, but made it more like a food court with different counters for different regions. You could have pizza, Southwest, Southern, a generic hamburgers/hot dogs, Northeast (seafood) etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Shoot, there are plenty of American foods that could be in a food court or in a table service restaurant. Let's see, the lobster roll originated in Connecticut (that's right, not in Mass.), the Philly Cheesesteak originated in (shocker here) Philadelphia, and as if the cheeseseteak isn't enough to thank Pennsylvania for, they also gave us the banana split. And let's not forget foods of the south! The yummy chicken fried steak of the south, gumbo, shrimp and grits are all foods native to the south. God bless Texas, we invented the corn dog! Buffalo wings were invented in Buffalo. Baked Alaska, anyone? The Reuben was invented in America, as well. It can be misleading with its Swiss cheese (not really from Switzerland) and Russian dressing (nope, not from Russia), but it originated here in The Home of the Brave. Our American Indians were also the first ones to ever use maple syrup. Want something a little lighter? The Cobb Salad is also native to The United States.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

I've been pushing this idea for years. Forget about trying to figure out what "real" American cuisine is. We are the melting pot. We get that. But it would be easy to design a restaurant that captures a concept that is indeed uniquely American.....road food. I would love to see an Airstream diner style casual TS place or a Route 66 style restaurant. I would call it "Stern's" in honor of the husband and wife authorities who literally wrote the book(s) on American regional cuisine. The menu could include hot dogs, hamburgers, pastrami, fried chicken and lots of other stuff that one would find on the Mother Road whether or not those foods have their origin from other countries.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #22
chartle
DIS Veteran

Getting back to the original topic, no there really isn't room to add a new TS at the American Pavilion.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=epcot...41981&t=h&z=18

They couldn't take out the CS since for a certain number of guests its the only food they would eat anywhere in the WS outside maybe the Fish and Chips. They want regular food.

Also if you look at all the other TS menus at WDW they are not very extensive. Most only seem to have at most 10 entrees. Not sure how you can do a fair representation of everything the US has to offer in ten dishes.

Last edited by chartle; 01-27-2013 at 05:16 PM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
Barbecue derives from the word barabicu found in the language
of the Taíno people of the Caribbean, translated it means Sacred
Fire Pit. (At least according to Altron Brown)
I thought it meant cooking over green sticks. Also from Alton Brown, which is actually not BBQ but grilling.

Which is where we get buccaneer.

Quote:
The term buccaneer derives from the Caribbean Arawak word buccan, a wooden frame for smoking meat, preferably manatee. From this became derived in French the word boucane and hence the name boucanier for French hunters who used such frames to smoke meat from feral cattle and pigs on Hispaniola (now Haiti and the Dominican Republic).[2] English colonists anglicised the word boucanier to buccaneer.
(Wikipedia but AB also brought it up)
Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #24
SolitaryPhoenix
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah
Shoot, there are plenty of American foods that could be in a food court or in a table service restaurant. Let's see, the lobster roll originated in Connecticut (that's right, not in Mass.), the Philly Cheesesteak originated in (shocker here) Philadelphia, and as if the cheeseseteak isn't enough to thank Pennsylvania for, they also gave us the banana split. And let's not forget foods of the south! The yummy chicken fried steak of the south, gumbo, shrimp and grits are all foods native to the south. God bless Texas, we invented the corn dog! Buffalo wings were invented in Buffalo. Baked Alaska, anyone? The Reuben was invented in America, as well. It can be misleading with its Swiss cheese (not really from Switzerland) and Russian dressing (nope, not from Russia), but it originated here in The Home of the Brave. Our American Indians were also the first ones to ever use maple syrup. Want something a little lighter? The Cobb Salad is also native to The United States.
Quote:
Originally Posted by si-am
I always thought it would be cool if they kept the CS, but made it more like a food court with different counters for different regions. You could have pizza, Southwest, Southern, a generic hamburgers/hot dogs, Northeast (seafood) etc.
I LOVE these ideas! They would have to do a huge remodel to put a TS in, but the current CS could surely be adapted somewhat easily to serve a broader selection of American food. While I love The American Adventure and Spirit of America, most of the other pavilions have much better dining offerings than ours does. Pretty sad...
11/04 ~ PC | 10/3-10/8/05 ~ PC | 12/16-12/18/05 ~ CS | 1/27-1/29/06 ~ split PC/CS | 3/3-3/5/06 ~ POR | 9/24-9/30/06 ~ split Swan/POR | 6/6-6/9/07 ~ PC | 6/8-6/14/08 ~ POR ~ DD 1st visit! | 9/12-9/14/08 ~ AKV Jambo ~ 1st as DVC members! | 12/19-12/21/08 ~ WL [DVC] | 5/10-5/14/09 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] | 6/5-6/7/09 ~ PC |7/26-7/28/09 ~ OKW [DVC] with DD | 9/17-9/19/10 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ Mom's 75th, whole family's coming! | 6/24-6/26/11 ~ FW with DD|6/1-6/3/12 ~ FW with DD, nephew + friends | 6/24-6/29/12 ~ AKV Jambo [DVC] ~ My '50 Is The New 40' Birthday Celebration! |8/9-8/12/12 ~ FW with DD + friend | 9/21-23/12 ~ AKV [DVC] ~ first stay at Kidani! | 2/8-2/10/13 ~ PC | 3/2-3/3/13 ~ PC w/ DD + friend | 5/10-5/12/13 ~ CS w/ DD ~ Solo Camping Trip!| 9/13 - 9/16/13 ~ AKV-Kidani | April 4 thru 6, 2014 ~ AKV-Kidani ~ Flower & Garden | June 21 to June 22, 2014 ~ WL ~ DD and me!
September 4 thru 7, 2014 ~ Disney Dream cruise with the family! || September 27 to September 28, 2014 ~ OKW ~ aunt/nephew time! || November 13 thru 16, 2014 ~ FW ~ camping with DD
SolitaryPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoudt6 View Post
I know Hot dogs and Hamburgers are as American as it gets, but think its disapointing that the U.S.A. isn't truly represented in its Area. How about a place that serves all the great regional favorites. I'm talking foods like Maryland Crab Cakes, PA Dutch Foods, Chicago style pizza, Southern B-BQ, Fish from the Northwest, and many other great foods.
I also wish it was set up differently. As you walk through WS, the lack of dinning in America seems to be 'conspicuous by it's absence', at least in comparison. Besides the kiosk, what they offer almost seems not only lacking but also hidden.... but I realize there are a lot of things involved.

Nice post and great question stoudt6!

Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #26
desamnik
Mouseketeer

mmm

How about fried clams from Mass/Maine!! I think those are truly an american food!!
desamnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzytime View Post
I also wish it was set up differently. As you walk through WS, the lack of dinning in America seems to be 'conspicuous by it's absence', at least in comparison. Besides the kiosk, what they offer almost seems not only lacking but also hidden.... but I realize there are a lot of things involved.

Nice post and great question stoudt6!

I somehow think its also by design. Its Disney saying "Why don't you try something new."
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #28
Goldilocks07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6disneykids View Post
Sound great in theory, but I don't think this could happen in practice. There would be tons of people who would say this isn't REAL____(add regional dish here). Then there would be the discussion of why something was left off or done poorly.
I live in NYC, and I can assure you, almost all (I think Wolfgang's is supposed to be good?) PIZZA at WDW is NOT good representation of what it should be.

I mean, gross.

Asking WDW to create a restaurant to show off TRUE flavors of this country, would be a FABULOUS idea. Yum. Hush puppies, crab cakes (I also lived in MD for many years), po'boys, deep fried oreos, bbq...omg yum.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldilocks07 View Post
I live in NYC, and I can assure you, almost all (I think Wolfgang's is supposed to be good?) PIZZA at WDW is NOT good representation of what it should be.

I mean, gross.

Asking WDW to create a restaurant to show off TRUE flavors of this country, would be a FABULOUS idea. Yum. Hush puppies, crab cakes (I also lived in MD for many years), po'boys, deep fried oreos, bbq...omg yum.
How big of a menu do think it would take?

It would make the Cheese Factory's menu look like a small pamphlet.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
How big of a menu do think it would take?

It would make the Cheese Factory's menu look like a small pamphlet.
Exactly. Which is why the better approach would be to focus on the style of restaurant instead of trying to appease every niche culinary idiosyncrasy.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: