Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
almburr
DIS Veteran

We have made our resort decision!!!

We have chosen the cabins at Fort Wilderness

If you have stayed here, let us know what you thought. There will be 6 of us and we are super excited!
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
holtr727
Earning My Ears

We loved it, quiet and out of the way but still close to MK. It was nice having the kitchen, plus having a separate bedroom was great with kids. Have a great time!
holtr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

Happy for you I know myself its a headache and a half trying to figure it out and once you do, its like let the fun begin
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
almburr
DIS Veteran

Is it a super long walk from cabins to boat dock and food services? I was just thinking that after a long day of parks would we be dragging just to get to our cabin?

Also I just read that there really wasn't a place to fill the mugs. Is there a quick service place at the Fort? Or is that just over at the WL?

Now I seem to be having major questions on this. DH said he would like to stay here. We have stayed at WL, and loves being able to get on a boat and head to MK. I think we will be fine, just want to know what we are getting into.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

If you are driving bring bikes, tri cycles. If not driving down to WDW rent a golf cart. You will save so much money making breakfast, lunch, or dinners in your cabin that expense of golf cart is not much. We had bikes which made getting from MH to bus stop a breeze. Be sure to remember locks for bikes. Cabins are a long way from the meadows area .

Remember the camp fire each evening. Bring your own smore's kits with sticks for roasting the marshmellows on.

You are making me wish I was staying there again soon. I totally love the camp area -- all of it. We loved just riding our bikes around looking at how each camp site was set up.

Bigger then most resort areas but it always felt cozy-- go figure.
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by almburr View Post
We have chosen the cabins at Fort Wilderness

If you have stayed here, let us know what you thought. There will be 6 of us and we are super excited!
Lovely have a great time!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

The cabins were the very first place my family stayed at. We loved them. My sons loved the bunk beds, the first, the boats to mk everything.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Is it a super long walk from cabins to boat dock and food services? I was just thinking that after a long day of parks would we be dragging just to get to our cabin?

Also I just read that there really wasn't a place to fill the mugs. Is there a quick service place at the Fort? Or is that just over at the WL?

Now I seem to be having major questions on this. DH said he would like to stay here. We have stayed at WL, and loves being able to get on a boat and head to MK. I think we will be fine, just want to know what we are getting into.
Remember though that you are getting a full sized kitchen in the cabins. Our first stay there we did not need mugs because we picked up a few 2L bottles of pop and a couple of cases of water to store. It was great because every night we froze bottles of water and that's what we had todrink in the parks (we were there in hot August).

You can request a cabin in the 2600 or the 2800 loop and then your walk is not far at all to the boat dock.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
almburr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Remember though that you are getting a full sized kitchen in the cabins. Our first stay there we did not need mugs because we picked up a few 2L bottles of pop and a couple of cases of water to store. It was great because every night we froze bottles of water and that's what we had todrink in the parks (we were there in hot August).

You can request a cabin in the 2600 or the 2800 loop and then your walk is not far at all to the boat dock.
We will have the DxDDP so the cups will be one of the souvenirs we take home. your right we can keep drinks in the fridge, along with coffee and hot chocolate.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
charminnie
Mouseketeer

My family loves the cabins. So peaceful and beautiful. Having bikes is a great advantage but if your flying rent a golf cart. You will love it.
charminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

There is an internal bus system that you can take from the boat dock (Settlement) or bus depot (Outpost) for your park transportation.

There is no quick service restaurant at the Fort, but you can get take-out meals from Trail's to Go at Trail's End Restaurant, or meals from the Meadows Snack Bar. There is a refillable mug station at Trail's End and the Meadows Trading Post.

Your only choice for breakfast is the buffet at Trail's End, unless all you want is pastry type things. We watched a family get really angry one morning because they expected to order any kind of breakfast and were annoyed that there wasn't a QS breakfast available. They yelled until they got their daughter some milk and cereal and said that they should have been told and they wouldn't have stayed there had they known. I have said that staying at the Fort isn't the greatest use of a dining plan if you like to eat at your resort. But if you like to go to parks or other resorts to eat, then you'll be fine.

If there is 6 of you, you won't all fit into one golf cart, they only fit 4. There are apparently a few 6 seaters but I have never seen them.

We've stayed there a few times and love it there. The best part is that there is no one above you, below you or alongside you. No flushing toilets, running showers, or dancing elephants to wake you up in the morning. Its wonderful.

Storage can be a challenge so make sure you utilize every cabinet everywhere. The bathroom has some good storage, and if you're not getting groceries, use the kitchen cabinets too.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
almburr
DIS Veteran

I was looking at the map and trying to figure out the lay out. the 2600 and 2800 loops look along way from the boat docks. The map didn't indicate the cabin locations, rv /camper locations or tent locations. Which loops are the cabins? I see that there a bus locations all over. So we wont have to walk to and from the marina all the time? Also when we check in and Check out is there guest service to help get luggage to and from cabins for Magical Express?

Sorry for all the questions. just wanting to get everything planned out. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
sbtw13
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I was looking at the map and trying to figure out the lay out. the 2600 and 2800 loops look along way from the boat docks. The map didn't indicate the cabin locations, rv /camper locations or tent locations. Which loops are the cabins? I see that there a bus locations all over. So we wont have to walk to and from the marina all the time? Also when we check in and Check out is there guest service to help get luggage to and from cabins for Magical Express?

Sorry for all the questions. just wanting to get everything planned out. Thanks to everyone for your help.
The cabin loops are not anywhere close the boat docks. The 2600-2800 loops are cabin loops. They are close to the outpost. The internal bus system runs all over constantly. We found it more convenient to walk from our cabin to the outpost- but take the internal bus system to the marina/ settlement.
yes- when you check in/check out they take your luggage in a van.

There is very limited dining options at Ft. Wilderness. We loved the cabins- and loved having breakfast and some lunches/dinners in the cabins. I think i would have found it frustrating if we were on the dining plan. They send you to WL for quick service--- which means getting on the boat to get there.
sbtw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
mkoerner
DIS Veteran

We enjoyed our stay at the cabins. The full kitchen and 2 televisions were very handy, and it was peaceful and relaxing. Our only issue was transportation tended to be a bit cumbersome with the inner bus and then the bus to take you to anywhere outside of the resort. Still a great place for families of 5 or 6!
1976-treehouse villa/july 1995-off property/dec 1998-dixie landings/2001-off property/feb 2003 FW/2005 POR/2006-ASMo/aug 2006-Swan/2008-POR/jan 2009 WL/aug 2009-cbr/aug 2010-CR/ Aug 2011- VWL,BLT/ Dec 2011- SSR/March 2012-POR/ Aug 2012- OKW/ March 2013-POR/ Aug 2013- Aulani/ Aug 2013-POFQ/ Aug 2014- FWCampground/ Dec 2014- SSR
mkoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
almburr
DIS Veteran

I just love the DIS!! I love how everyone is so helpful.

Can we fill our mugs at WL? The layout of FW is massive.

Glad to know that there will be a van to take luggage to and from cabin. For a moment I had visions of us walking to and from the MK dragging: back backs, carry on luggage, and all the kids. That would have been a sight.

How do the internal bus system work? If you start walking to the Marina and see a bus can you get on? Are there certain buses that go certain places?

Is there daily Mousekeeping that will bring towels? Or is that something that needs requested?

Beds Is it 2 dlbs and a bunk bed? I might share a dbl with one of the smaller kids and put DH on bottom bunk. We have a cali.kng bed at home. I love my hubby but I don't want to cling on to him for dear life while we sleep.

Again sorry for so many questions. But you are all knowing

Everyone is really excited, DS8 is a little disappointed that we didn't choose AOA. But DH thought a week in a cartoon room covered in so many bright colors might do him in. So we let him pick this time. AOA will be the next one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: