Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacClemsons View Post
Completely agree. We have ADR for upcoming trip because I want to try it, but I know ahead of time my picky DS6 won't be happy. It seems to be getting more difficult to find kid friendly food. Pinocchio village haus is out now that they changed from pizza to flatbread.
Kid friendly? Or junk food? Let's call a spade a spade. If you want junk food there are plenty of places to find it. If you want a more balanced meal with healthy choices for a growing child (like most children receive at home) then fortunately there are places like BOG where you can get it. It's still your choice. Go where you can get the food you want your children to have.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Kid friendly? Or junk food? Let's call a spade a spade. If you want junk food there are plenty of places to find it. If you want a more balanced meal with healthy choices for a growing child (like most children receive at home) then fortunately there are places like BOG where you can get it. It's still your choice. Go where you can get the food you want your children to have.
Exactly. I don't consider a steady diet of nothing but chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers to be kid friendly at all. It's junk. Would my kid eat that stuff? Sure. But he also eats baked chicken, meatloaf, fish and all kinds of veggies. So when I choose, I prefer places that provide the latter. I'm baffled that so many people find baked chicken or fish to be "adventurous." But, like minnie mum said, you can still get all the junk food you want at EVERY OTHER RESTAURANT ON PROPERTY.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks23 View Post
Well when you have kids, I hope it's as easy as you're thinking.
It *can* be.

(Next is in general, not directed at Snooks): My son is 7 and while he is NOW a picky eater, at younger ages he wasn't... and he's picky in a TOTALLY different way than expected. His favorite foods: sushi (especially salmon), plain grilled fish (again, especially salmon), tofu... And until the last year, the things that everyone keeps touting as "for the picky eaters" were all foods that he would flatly refuse and we had VERY limited options for him at Disney. Only recently is he now willing to eat chicken nuggets and mac & cheese, etc. Meanwhile, I knew that it was *my* child and not their responsibility to have something for the picky eaters like him. I had no problem saying to a server "My son is a strange eater, do you have ...?" or asking if they could take sauces off, or specific elements of something. I also knew that if they had something on the adult menu that he liked, I would order that and he'd just eat from my plate. It's just not possible for a restaurant to have a menu that will work for absolutely everyone. I think BOG's menu looks like it has a great options that will work for most kids even if there have to be some special requests made.
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It *can* be.

(Next is in general, not directed at Snooks): My son is 7 and while he is NOW a picky eater, at younger ages he wasn't... and he's picky in a TOTALLY different way than expected. His favorite foods: sushi (especially salmon), plain grilled fish (again, especially salmon), tofu... And until the last year, the things that everyone keeps touting as "for the picky eaters" were all foods that he would flatly refuse and we had VERY limited options for him at Disney. Only recently is he now willing to eat chicken nuggets and mac & cheese, etc. Meanwhile, I knew that it was *my* child and not their responsibility to have something for the picky eaters like him. I had no problem saying to a server "My son is a strange eater, do you have ...?" or asking if they could take sauces off, or specific elements of something. I also knew that if they had something on the adult menu that he liked, I would order that and he'd just eat from my plate. It's just not possible for a restaurant to have a menu that will work for absolutely everyone. I think BOG's menu looks like it has a great options that will work for most kids even if there have to be some special requests made.
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
bentopher
Mouseketeer

I have one son that will try anything once, which makes life easy!!

I have another son who is BEYOND fussy.. HOWEVER his favourite foods are raw veggies and fruit and yogurt. That's mostly what he eats, seriously. LOL

He won't eat hot dogs, or mac n cheese sometimes pizza, but only if he likes how it looks, otherwise he won't touch it. Even pasta, if he doesn't like the sauce on the first bite he won't eat it. Rice he's picky on too. It needs to be plain, but not white. Even chicken fingers. He's so used to the homemade ones that I make he won't eat processed ones. And unfortunately not may restaurants have a selection of raw veggies. He'll only eat so many carrots in a bag before he wants peppers or celery or cucumbers instead.

It was a challenge when we were there last time, but we survived, and we'll figure it out again this time
Even on the Dining Plan, I often ordered CS meals that I knew he would eat something from the adult selection instead and I'd share with him!

This time we might take my mom along.. and she is not only gluten free, but grain free. So now I have double the challenges LOL

May 2013 Pop Century: Star Wars Weekend. The boys 2nd trip. And first trip with Grandma (who hadn't been in 15ish years).
May 2012 All Star Sports: The boys first Disney Vacation, and my first time back in 15 years!
Several offsite trips as a child, a disney cruise in 1994, and ASMu in 1997 for Disney 25th Anniversary!
bentopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaschitz

It *can* be.

Around here "picky" does seem to be a euphemism for "won't eat anything but chicken nuggets, fries and mac & cheese."

I too have a picky eater who is a bit more eclectic in her tastes (for instance, she also likes sushi and tofu but wouldn't touch a hamburger with a 10 foot pole). It's a challenge because most menus include unhealthy choices she's happy with (French fries are a perfectly acceptable meal in HER opinion), but if we're creative we can usually put together a healthier meal for her. Sometimes that involves ordering an appetizer as her entree or asking for something to be prepared a bit differently, but most restaurants at Disney and in the real world are pretty accommodating (we eat out a lot!) Personally I think it's refreshing and encouraging to see kids menus that don't include burgers, fries and pizza. The typical American diet is pretty disgraceful.

With a little girl who loves Belle I'd probably use that fact to try to sell her on trying something new.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, I never said that having kids is easy!

I am 30 years old and I have several friends with kids as well as a nephew. NONE of the parents feed their kids junk like chicken nuggets, pizza, and mac and cheese for every. single. meal.

When I was a kid, my dad made dinner and put it in front of us. If we didn't want it, we didn't have to eat it, but we weren't going to get "special" food. I will say that my dad made efforts to make meals that general human beings would enjoy (lasagna, chili, burgers, hamburger helper, baked chicken, etc.).

I'm guessing that Disney has gotten some complaints about the choices on the kids menus there. Parents want better for their kids than what Disney was offering. Heck, even McDonald's is offering fruit and milk now due to concerns over children's health. I applaud Disney for taking some steps to provide better food for kids.

Also, I'm guessing that while a 3 year old could be satisfied eating the standard choices for a week, 9 year olds may want more variety. I wouldn't have been happy at 9 years old with 3 or 4 choices to get me through a whole week.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs View Post
Exactly. I don't consider a steady diet of nothing but chicken nuggets, pizza and burgers to be kid friendly at all. It's junk. Would my kid eat that stuff? Sure. But he also eats baked chicken, meatloaf, fish and all kinds of veggies. So when I choose, I prefer places that provide the latter. I'm baffled that so many people find baked chicken or fish to be "adventurous." But, like minnie mum said, you can still get all the junk food you want at EVERY OTHER RESTAURANT ON PROPERTY.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
It sucks to have picky eaters. I can understand having things not all places have, but have something for the picky eaters too!
The problem is that not all picky eaters will eat the same thing. So you really want the impossible. There is no way Disney can have a menu that will make everyone happy. Heck there are places I would like to eat at just to see that I don't like what is on the menu. I just don't eat there. Simple.

I think it is great that they are offering something besides hot dogs and chicken nuggets. I also wonder how we all survived before the days of on line menus.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #25
Stitch's Greatest Fa
DIS Veteran

That's probably the case, don't get me started, I love WDW, I love the restaurants but pretty much all the kids menu choices are appalling, my DD always eats what we eat at home and does not want a 2 week holiday eating mac n cheese, burger or chicken tenders. WDW really, really need to improve their kids menus.

1995 1st time - Kissimee Villas 1997 Kissimmee Villas 2002 Kissimmee Villas 2004 - 1st time on site Polynesian Honeymoon 2005 Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Pop Century 2007 POFQ 2008 Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge 2009 Beach Club 2010 AKL/CR/SSR2011 Hilton Parc Soleil2013 Wilderness Lodge 2014 Hilton Parc Soleil
Stitch's Greatest Fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #26
deanimal
DIS Veteran

How about going with your kids, ordering adult meals for yourselves and quietly bringing food along for the kids? We've done this for our kids before and no one's given us any trouble for quietly opening a yogurt, some crackers, grapes, etc since we know our kids will happily eat these things. Add a kid friendly dessert and you have a great (and slightly cheaper) family meal. My kids are picky too, but they do like a lot of healthy things. I find it a lot easier to bring them myself than try to find things they'll eat in the parks.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #27
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch's Greatest Fa View Post
That's probably the case, don't get me started, I love WDW, I love the restaurants but pretty much all the kids menu choices are appalling, my DD always eats what we eat at home and does not want a 2 week holiday eating mac n cheese, burger or chicken tenders. WDW really, really need to improve their kids menus.
There is decent kids food out there, but you need to look for it. If you look though you can find this such as salad, steak, fish, bbq, wraps--lots of variety. But you have to hunt it down. Look at menus ahead of time, and plan your meals that way.

A quick look at the kids menus at DS pulls up grilled chicken, grilled fish, meatloaf, hot dogs, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, pizza, meaty macaroni, chicken nuggets, and assorted soups. And that is only from the 3 restaurants that have kids meals. There are also buffets that have a wide variety of food. And quick service places with things like sushi and turkey sandwiches.

You can find lots of variety. You just have to work for it a bit.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 01-28-2013 at 06:20 AM.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #28
katmg
Mouseketeer

I'm hopeful that the buffets and family-style restaurants will give us a fighting chance of getting the kids something other than pizza, nuggets or burgers. My kids will eat those things, but will tire of them quickly. Ohana (dinner) and Garden Grill were two that I was looking at because the kids could have more variety.

When I first started looking at Disney menus, I was shocked at the lack of variety on the kids menu. For such a "child friendly" place, their kids menus are lacking. Several quick service places only have Uncrustables on the menu. Blech!
katmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #29
tarzansmom
I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmg
I'm hopeful that the buffets and family-style restaurants will give us a fighting chance of getting the kids something other than pizza, nuggets or burgers. My kids will eat those things, but will tire of them quickly. Ohana (dinner) and Garden Grill were two that I was looking at because the kids could have more variety.

When I first started looking at Disney menus, I was shocked at the lack of variety on the kids menu. For such a "child friendly" place, their kids menus are lacking. Several quick service places only have Uncrustables on the menu. Blech!
This is why the ddp won't work for us. Ds is not really a fussy eater but if he saw us eating sushi and he was stuck with an uncrustable he would understandably feel slighted. He loves fish, crab, sushi, shrimp, steak, etc. usually I just split an adult meal with him so he can eat the foods he likes.

2003- POR * 2005- POP * 2006- POP * 2008- POP/CSR * 2010- WL * 2011- CBR * 2013-?
tarzansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #30
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoukyMouse View Post
I am really disappointed with the kids' menu choices at BOG. Belle is my DS's FAVORITE Disney character. Unfortunately, he is a very picky eater. I just know he's going to want to go to BOG for the atmosphere, but wouldn't be able to eat. I think we may try to just look around at lunch during quick service.
I don't know if you realize that this is set up differently from other quick services and you have to order to get into the restaurant- even to look around. Maybe plan on eating dessert there or just order him a basic sandwich from the adult meals.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: