Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #3136
kenly777
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELLY
We are booked for 14 nights FD bounceback. I was on the fence about CBR or POR. I have decide POR but not sure if I should book a royal or standard room. We could do a royal room for 12 nights or a standard for 14. I guess I'm wondering if you would give up 2 days to stay in a royal room? Is a royal room worth it? I would like to call today and do the upgrade so I could use some advice.
Since all the rooms are really quite nice, I would most definitely go with keeping the extra two nights!

Many years of staying off site before 1990, 1990 CBR Honeymoon, 1999 CSR, 2005 Rental House, 2008 SS, 2010 Rental House, 2012 POR, 2013 OKW/BCV, 2014 BWV
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #3137
mkleinbe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELLY View Post
We are booked for 14 nights FD bounceback. I was on the fence about CBR or POR. I have decide POR but not sure if I should book a royal or standard room. We could do a royal room for 12 nights or a standard for 14. I guess I'm wondering if you would give up 2 days to stay in a royal room? Is a royal room worth it? I would like to call today and do the upgrade so I could use some advice.
Personally, I'd like the extra time, but that's just me.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #3138
Teddie
Earning My Ears

Whew!

Just got through all 210 pages of this thread! Thank you so much to all who post comments and replies, I've had a ton of questions answered just by reading! we leave in 9 days and I'm starting to get really nervous, not about the hotel at all, but just making sure we do a ton of fun stuff without making everyone cranky. My mother, mil, fil, dh, dd2, ds5 are all going to be there so a huge age range. I'm planning a midday break everyday as well as a stroller for the littles. My husband is questioning the stroller for ds, what do you experts think? He's a trooper, but not used to crazy mileage. Thanks!:
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #3139
jmw33
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie View Post
Just got through all 210 pages of this thread! Thank you so much to all who post comments and replies, I've had a ton of questions answered just by reading! we leave in 9 days and I'm starting to get really nervous, not about the hotel at all, but just making sure we do a ton of fun stuff without making everyone cranky. My mother, mil, fil, dh, dd2, ds5 are all going to be there so a huge age range. I'm planning a midday break everyday as well as a stroller for the littles. My husband is questioning the stroller for ds, what do you experts think? He's a trooper, but not used to crazy mileage. Thanks!:
My best friend got back 3 weeks ago and she said her only mistake was not bringing a stroller for her ds5. He is normally a trooper but he was whining and complaining non stop because his feet hurt. I have a 5 and a 2 year old and I will be renting a double stroller because I know my son and he will not make it. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #3140
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My husband is questioning the stroller for ds, what do you experts think? He's a trooper, but not used to crazy mileage. Thanks!:
My boys are really good walkers, regularly doing 4-5 miles without any problem but I am not risking them getting tired in the parks. I'm more than happy to push an empty stroller around all day - I'd prefer that to carrying a grumpy 4yr old!!

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #3141
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Just got through all 210 pages of this thread! Thank you so much to all who post comments and replies, I've had a ton of questions answered just by reading! My husband is questioning the stroller for ds, what do you experts think? He's a trooper, but not used to crazy mileage. Thanks!:
If he's five, then a stroller might be a good plan. The WDW parks are huge, not to mention all the standing around in lines too - better to keep him relaxed and happy and avoid meltdowns (that probably applies to your husband too by the way )

My DD used a stroller until she was about 6 or 7 - just in the parks, although by that point it was more like a mobile playroom.

And even if he walks some of the way, an empty stroller is a great place for storing bags, shopping, etc.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #3142
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes, you can quite easily sit and look out of the windows, or even sit outside in the alcove beside the walkway - think of it as a porch rather than a balcony.
These are very nice.

This isn't directed to the original requester's mom, as I'm sure she'd be respectful, but for others planning to camp outside of the rooms: Please be considerate of the people in the surrounding rooms. I've had a couple bad experiences with loud people outside my room and window, and the soundproofing just isn't that good. It can be practically like the people outside are right in your room with you.

One very early morning (after a late night for me) I had a screaming child, egged on by his brother, who was crying and screaming with his nose literally pressed to my window. Parents sat in their adjoining room, door open, chatting away and completely ignoring the kids.

Another time we had a group set up camp right outside our room, drinking and talking loudly well into the night.

I have a river view room booked for my upcoming trip, and I'm thinking about changing that, or even moving back to deluxe to avoid the exterior corridors altogether (sigh). After my previous experiences, I'm worried that I'll have another party set up camp outside my room, given its river view.

I'm hoping you all can reassure me that my experiences were unusual ones! I don't see a lot of discussions about this on disboards, so maybe I've just been unlucky? As much as I love the theming at POR, I haven't been back since the screaming child at window experience - I'm apprehensive now about exterior corridors so usually save up for deluxe - but I really do want to return to enjoy the lovely POR resort, at least for a couple nights.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #3143
macadoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungaloosh22 View Post
These are very nice.

This isn't directed to the original requester's mom, as I'm sure she'd be respectful, but for others planning to camp outside of the rooms: Please be considerate of the people in the surrounding rooms. I've had a couple bad experiences with loud people outside my room and window, and the soundproofing just isn't that good. It can be practically like the people outside are right in your room with you.

One very early morning (after a late night for me) I had a screaming child, egged on by his brother, who was crying and screaming with his nose literally pressed to my window. Parents sat in their adjoining room, door open, chatting away and completely ignoring the kids.

Another time we had a group set up camp right outside our room, drinking and talking loudly well into the night.

I have a river view room booked for my upcoming trip, and I'm thinking about changing that, or even moving back to deluxe to avoid the exterior corridors altogether (sigh). After my previous experiences, I'm worried that I'll have another party set up camp outside my room, given its river view.

I'm hoping you all can reassure me that my experiences were unusual ones! I don't see a lot of discussions about this on disboards, so maybe I've just been unlucky? As much as I love the theming at POR, I haven't been back since the screaming child at window experience - I'm apprehensive now about exterior corridors so usually save up for deluxe - but I really do want to return to enjoy the lovely POR resort, at least for a couple nights.

What an awful experience for you . Did you find this was a problem on the ground floor specifically? We are trying to decide at the moment whether to request ground floor (we normally prefer ground for convenience) or if it would be quieter on the upper floors.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #3144
turning into fanatic
Earning My Ears

Have a question about connecting rooms. We have a trip planned for December and there are 2 adults and 3 children in my family, therefore we will be in AB. My parents are coming along and if possible we would like a connecting room or rooms nearby each other. I have them in a king bed room because I thought this would give them the best chance to be connected or near us. My question is because there are only two would they even be able to get 2 queens in a room or are they automatically put in a king room. And would the king room be our best bet since they will first give queen rooms in AB to families of 5? Does this make sense??? Has anyone else had this situation and were you able to get connecting rooms?

11/30/13-12/7/13 Staying offsite at house, surprising kids! My parents are coming along too!!

Spring Break 2012 - First visit to WDW(stayed at Orange Lake), very crowded but still had a blast!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #3145
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by turning into fanatic View Post
Have a question about connecting rooms. We have a trip planned for December and there are 2 adults and 3 children in my family, therefore we will be in AB. My parents are coming along and if possible we would like a connecting room or rooms nearby each other. I have them in a king bed room because I thought this would give them the best chance to be connected or near us. My question is because there are only two would they even be able to get 2 queens in a room or are they automatically put in a king room. And would the king room be our best bet since they will first give queen rooms in AB to families of 5? Does this make sense??? Has anyone else had this situation and were you able to get connecting rooms?
I don't know why they wouldn't give a 2 queen room to a couple. I've stayed at POR twice as a solo (once way back when it was called Dixie Landings) and I got Alligator Bayou both times. Also, I would imagine that even though Alligator Bayou is the only moderate option for families of 5, that that doesn't mean that there's so many families of 5 booking it that there isn't still plenty of AB rooms for smaller groups.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #3146
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Did you find this was a problem on the ground floor specifically? We are trying to decide at the moment whether to request ground floor (we normally prefer ground for convenience) or if it would be quieter on the upper floors.
Actually both cases were 2nd (top) floor. I think top floor rooms are considered quieter primarily because you won't hear people in the room above you, but I don't think there would be a difference in potential outside corridor issues. Actually, the time we had the loud party camping out, they had dragged their chairs out to the corner (in front of our room) presumably because it was a better view? So maybe you're actually better off with the ground floor in that kind of situation.

But again, I'm really hoping my experiences were the exception and not the rule!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #3147
scrapnmom
Mouseketeer

DDP questions for Riverside food court

What breakfast-type foods can I get for a snack credit? Our last trip was 3 years ago at CBR and we could get cereal and milk for a snack credit.

I saw a pic with drink coolers that had chocolate milk, juice, and vitamin water. Can those be used as drinks with a CS meal? I know you get refillable mugs but we don't drink soda of any kind or coffee. We only drink water at home but the kids like chocolate milk and DH likes vitamin water zero for a treat.

Are there recent pics or info from the food court?

Planning my 14th trip, 4/30-5/7 at POR

Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #3148
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

We were in a top floor room in bldg 16 and we honestly saw maybe 5 people walk by our room the whole week we were there. We felt like we had the whole upper level to ourselves!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #3149
DisneyEhCA
Canadian Mom in a Magical World

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapnmom View Post
What breakfast-type foods can I get for a snack credit?
I really like the pre-made yogurt parfaits for breakfast. They're a great deal for a snack credit and quite filling!

I believe they have those at POR, but also have a build your own yogurt parfait station, which would probably be a CS credit. Not 100% sure on that.

---------------------------------------------------
Me (38) DH (47) DS (4)
October 2011 - All-Star Movies
February 2012 - Pop Century
January 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
January 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside (fingers crossed!)
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #3150
macadoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungaloosh22 View Post
Actually both cases were 2nd (top) floor. I think top floor rooms are considered quieter primarily because you won't hear people in the room above you, but I don't think there would be a difference in potential outside corridor issues. Actually, the time we had the loud party camping out, they had dragged their chairs out to the corner (in front of our room) presumably because it was a better view? So maybe you're actually better off with the ground floor in that kind of situation.

But again, I'm really hoping my experiences were the exception and not the rule!
Thanks. Hoping this won't be a problem as we only have a standard view room booked.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: