Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieboyd View Post
For port days (GC we're doing our own thing...shopping/sightseeing and a taxi to Sea Grape; Cozumel we're doing DCL excursion snorkeling w/ stingrays) would you pack a day outfit for the kids, or just swim trunks/t-shirt plus dinner clothes for the day?
Outfit. The swim stuff will get all sandy and they'll want something to wear once back on the ship.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs4me View Post
Definately pack less stuff - that being said I overpack the underwear. With the hot weather you never know and I am not one to want to laundry. I also plan to buy shirts I will wear.

We do not like the over the door hangar thing. It gets in our way.

Also think about what you will really want to carry. My mom always brings a purse but then it just sits in the stateroom taking up space.
I plan on packing extra underwear as well. With a 4 year old & a 7 year old, I'd rather be prepared & they don't take up much space!!

ANOTHER QUESTION:
We're doing a 5 night Feb Western Caribbean....would you pack a pair of jeans and/or sweaters for each person or no?
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not dumb at all....it's a great suggestion! I already told DD17 that she has to par down her makeup collection to a SMALL travel sized bag for the trip!
I checked at Sephora and QVC, they have kits that are super small. Benefit has a kit (Primping with the Stars) with all the pieces. Tarte has a kit that has BB cream, a primer, and mascara for $12, and Benefit has another kit (Goodtime Girl) with mini pieces for $15. Makeup kits are awesome.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Don't pack a blowdryer if you are on the Dream or Fantasy. The blow dryers on those ship work well. The blow dryers on the Magic/Wonder are the built in hotel kind that don't work as well.

What we wear to dinner on the last night is what we wear off the ship, we shower before dinner and put on clean clothes so they are still reasonably clean the next morning. It's one less outfit to pack.

Pack a swimsuit cover up that can also function as a robe. Or a sundress that can double as a swimsuit coverup.

Pack 2 fewer outfits then you think you need. We spend afternoons by the pool so no one cares if I wear the same shirt twice to breakfast.

On the Dream/Fantasy the luggage slides easily under the bed, freeing up closet space and is easy to access. On the Magic/Wonder you have to lift the bed up to get the suitcases underneath.

Fold and/or pack dirty clothes each night, this is a last night time saver

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

My boys hate putting on a wet swim suit - I'm not really a fan either. I have planned to back three per person. They don't take up that much space. Is that overkill? Are there swimsuit dryer/spinners like at the gym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noriega View Post
Take one less shirt and plan to buy one for everyone one while on board. Keep in mind, they cost around 10 to 25 bucks. That way you have the cruise date on your shirts, etc...for your photos.
So on each cruise there is personalized cruise specific merchandise for sale? Are the shirts more of a t-shirts or polos? Adults and children's sizes? What other types of cruise specific merchandise can you purchase to commemorate your trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
Pack 2 fewer outfits then you think you need. We spend afternoons by the pool so no one cares if I wear the same shirt twice to breakfast.
If we plan to spend the day at the pool would it be acceptable to bring the boys in their trunks and rash-guard to breakfast (dry of course). And me in my suit with a sundress over the top? Or would we really need to be dressed?
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Bring less stuff.

You really don't need so much. You can wear the same clothes to dinner several nights. You don't need shoes to match every outfit. Share one tube of toothpaste. Shampoo and lotion is provided (and great).

Store things in your suitcases under the bed until you need them. For the little kids, you might want to prepare outfits for the day (socks, undies, shorts, shirts) in zip locks, and leave them in the suitcase until that day arrives and put the used outfits back into the bags.

Nancy
Bring less stuff is really the best advice. We drove to the port for our first cruise and had two adjoining staterooms and did not limit ourselves. Now we have plans for our second cruise and are booked two adult, one teenager and two kids in one family stateroom. I know I brought way too much clothing the first time. I also know that my first impression of the stateroom was "Oh my goodness it is small, thank goodness we have a second room." But I also know how little time we spent in the cabins. So be prepare that the space is limited but they have designed the rooms well. There is plenty of storage under the bed to put your suitcases.

With our upcoming cruise we will be gone for ten days. (7 night cruise and then a little bit of park time) I plan to bring five outfits (not including dinner attire and bathing suits) for each member of our family. The ship has laundry services and I will plan on doing laundry on our vacation. For me, this is actually more pleasant than getting back from our trip with a pile of dirty clothes. I love to open my suitcases after a trip and to be able to put the clothes away. This is actually one of the reasons I love being a DVC member too....washers and dryers in the larger villas.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
PirateTigger
Earning My Ears

We found packing cubes really helpful, and rolling duffel bags for suitcases. They lay flat when empty and can be stored under the beds.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #23
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

sundress/cover-up

I agree with the suggestion to take a cover up that can double as a sundress. I always do this. My main reason is that when we fly, I pack my bathing suit and "cover up" in my carry on in case my luggage doesn't make it. And if my luggage doesn't make it to my room before dinner, I have a sun dress that can be worn to the dining room. I've never HAD to use it before, but if I ever do, I'll be ready. My sundress/cover up is a very light weight dress from Gap (On sale). On another note, I have been known to pack too much Disney stuff. I tend to feel that if I'm ever going to wear it, this is the time. However, I rarely wear it all and wind up with too much stuff. Pace yourself. The Less stuff advice is the best you'll get.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Basically what everyone else has said:
1. pack less
2. packing cubes
3. put suitcases under bed
4. really think about doing 1 load of laundry to pack less I've found this is the best tip.
5. don't bring too many shoes they just take up room
6. bring accessories to mix up your look without additional clothes

Last edited by chrisrunty; 01-27-2013 at 02:05 PM.
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrunty View Post
Basically what everyone else has said:
1. pack less
2. packing cubes
3. put life vests and suitcases under bed
4. really think about doing 1 load of laundry to pack less I've found this is the best tip.
5. don't bring too many shoes they just take up room
6. bring accessories to mix up your look without additional clothes
I don't think you are supposed to take the life vests out of the closet and put under the bed.
You can also take the collapsible hanging shelves, which fold up pretty flat, and they will give you more shelf space inside the closet.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #26
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
I don't think you are supposed to take the life vests out of the closet and put under the bed.
You can also take the collapsible hanging shelves, which fold up pretty flat, and they will give you more shelf space inside the closet.
took it off....don't want to give questionable info.
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
My boys hate putting on a wet swim suit - I'm not really a fan either. I have planned to back three per person
Boys' suits dry so fast on their own. I would take just 2 if you think they'll be putting them back on inside the same day. DS and DH only have one suit, and that's all they are taking. Same with me, though mine will probably be damp when re-wearing, but I can handle that. Theirs will almost certainly be dry, especially if they hang them to dry.

I love the popup hampers for our land trips, but that's mainly because I know I'll be doing laundry. A PP had a great point about just folding the dirty stuff and packing it away as you go, if you won't be doing laundry on your trip.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

We LOVE Space bags...Target sells the kind that you don't need a vacuum to suck the air out. You just seal it up and "squish" it down. I usually pack our stuff into them for the trip there, then unpack in the room. As we wear stuff, I shove (NOT FOLDED) clothes into the space bags. When the bag is full, I squish the air out and slide it under the bed. When its time to pack to go home, its all ready!
Also, I won't travel anywhere without the over the door shoe organizer. That is the single most useful tip I learned here on the DIS.
And, like other posters have said, pack less...I promise you won't wear everything. (I still overpack, and we've done 7 cruises on DCL...lol).
Have a blast, even if you have stuff everywhere! lol
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #29
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom323 View Post
You don't need to pack hangers, your room steward will give you as many as you need.
The only hangers the hosts have brought us in the past are the thicker wooden ones. For this reason, I pack wire hangers, and will do so again on our next cruise because we are in a cat 5 with less storage space. In order to hang all of the t-shirts in the closet we will need the thin wire hangers. I leave them behind at the end of the cruise.

Quote:
We're doing a 5 night Feb Western Caribbean....would you pack a pair of jeans and/or sweaters for each person or no?
I always pack one warmer outfit for everyone including jeans, long-sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt. I've worn the jeans in the clubs at night and the l-s shirt a couple times as well. Only worn the sweatshirt once when it was high 50's at CC when we were there. Was very glad that we had the warmer stuff that day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
If we plan to spend the day at the pool would it be acceptable to bring the boys in their trunks and rash-guard to breakfast (dry of course). And me in my suit with a sundress over the top? Or would we really need to be dressed?
That would be fine at the buffet.

Also, we have used one of the over-the-door hangers on each cruise [9]. There is no way I would have been able to keep everything in order without one, especially with a girl and her hair stuff.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
The only hangers the hosts have brought us in the past are the thicker wooden ones. For this reason, I pack wire hangers, and will do so again on our next cruise because we are in a cat 5 with less storage space. In order to hang all of the t-shirts in the closet we will need the thin wire hangers. I leave them behind at the end of the cruise.

I always pack one warmer outfit for everyone including jeans, long-sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt. I've worn the jeans in the clubs at night and the l-s shirt a couple times as well. Only worn the sweatshirt once when it was high 50's at CC when we were there. Was very glad that we had the warmer stuff that day!

That would be fine at the buffet.

Also, we have used one of the over-the-door hangers on each cruise [9]. There is no way I would have been able to keep everything in order without one, especially with a girl and her hair stuff.

Wow that's so funny. All we have gotten are the wire ones and had to ask for the wooden ones with the pants hanger. maybe we got some of your wire ones you have left behind.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: