Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #151
EllaM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
OK, folks, here is your homework. This weekend, find time to either read or watch The Princess Bride.

If you are an adult under 70 and have not seen the film, you are out of the loop, and are teetering on the edge of fuddy-duddy territory. If you have seen the film, watch it again and enjoy the good times. Watch it with your kids -- they will be running around pretending to wield a sword and quoting "prepare to die!" for at least a week.

The film is one of the funniest of all time, and has probably contributed more common catch-phrases to American culture than any other films besides (perhaps) Casablanca, the Wizard of Oz and the original Star Wars trilogy. The performances are classics, and it is on the AFI's list of 100 Best Film Comedies.

For those of you who have not yet done this assignment, THIS is the real Inigo Montoya:

(That would be Mandy Patinkin, age 34, in a really goofy wig and moustache.)
Now that's an order I can follow with pleasure. Just cranked it up on my TV screen. Funniest fairytale movie ever.

I love Peter Falk and a young Fred Savage (during his Wonder Years time) doing their grandfather/grandson asides. (The grandfather reads a fairytale story to his sick grandson. The story of poor farmboy Wesley and Princess Buttercup.) The Grandson: Theyre kissing again. Do we have to read the kissing parts?

Last edited by EllaM; 01-25-2013 at 10:16 PM.
EllaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #152
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

"The Princess Bride" is on TVLand at 6:30 PM Eastern, January 27(?). Today .
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #153
almburr
DIS Veteran

One of the best movies ever!!! our whole family loves it!

Really people get their panties in a bunch over the littlest things.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #154
muffyn
"hmmm*

I am more amazed at all the people on here that do NOT know the movie
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #155
disykat
DIS Veteran

IMO, what was inappropriate was doing anything more than saying "Oh, I'm sorry it never occurred to me people wouldn't know the reference" and then putting on a jacket, a blanket, or turning it inside out and having a good laugh about it. (I would assume he knew how to read and would recognize that he had the words "prepare to die" on his shirt)

Going to the press with a comment from another passenger relayed by a flight attendant? Really? Talk about a drama king who wants his 15 minutes of fame!

Last edited by disykat; 01-27-2013 at 12:56 AM.
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #156
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
I see that and raise you one ORANGE MOCHA FRAPPUCINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hold the freak gasoline fight)

"Rufus, Brint, and Meekus were like brothers to me. And when I say brother, I don't mean, like, an actual brother, but I mean it like the way black people use it. Which is more meaningful I think.
If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident."

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
You can't really go by the clips without knowing the context behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Oh I know you didn't I just meant that I usually do like quirky, funny movies. So I should give this a full run before I decide. I like to watch movies and TV to be totally entertained and to forget about all the ick in the world.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #157
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post

"Rufus, Brint, and Meekus were like brothers to me. And when I say brother, I don't mean, like, an actual brother, but I mean it like the way black people use it. Which is more meaningful I think.
If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident."
That was a pretty good eugoogaly

Do you understand that the world does not revolve around you and your do whatever it takes, ruin as many people's lives, so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long so you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way?
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #158
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
IMO, what was inappropriate was doing anything more than saying "Oh, I'm sorry it never occurred to me people wouldn't know the reference" and then putting on a jacket, a blanket, or turning it inside out and having a good laugh about it. (I would assume he knew how to read and would recognize that he had the words "prepare to die" on his shirt)

Going to the press with a comment from another passenger relayed by a flight attendant? Really? Talk about a drama king who wants his 15 minutes of fame!

What is amazing is that people would actually take a message written on an oversized name tag on a t-shirt as an actual threat.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #159
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post

In all fairness, we don't know that he ran to the press, do we? Maybe he tweeted and it got picked up. Of course, if you have a link showing that he contacted the press, then I have no problem admitting that I'm wrong.

As for the rest of your post, you are basing your opinion on some inaccurate information. He didn't just pass on a "comment from another passenger relayed by a flight attendant." He was actually asked by him/her if he could remove it. And, since he didn't have another shirt with him, he did ask to borrow one but the flight attendant never brought one. I think trying to cover up with a blanket during the entire flight is unreasonable, although I do think he could have just turned the shirt inside out, but maybe nobody thought of that.
Ceila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #160
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceila View Post
In all fairness, we don't know that he ran to the press, do we? Maybe he tweeted and it got picked up. Of course, if you have a link showing that he contacted the press, then I have no problem admitting that I'm wrong.

As for the rest of your post, you are basing your opinion on some inaccurate information. He didn't just pass on a "comment from another passenger relayed by a flight attendant." He was actually asked by him/her if he could remove it. And, since he didn't have another shirt with him, he did ask to borrow one but the flight attendant never brought one. I think trying to cover up with a blanket during the entire flight is unreasonable, although I do think he could have just turned the shirt inside out, but maybe nobody thought of that.
As I read it, yes, the flight attendant asked him to change his shirt but based on a comment from another passenger. She did not enforce him changing it, even when he told her he'd change it if he could have the pilot's shirt. IMO, clearly at that point she knew HE was more of a cooperation problem that the original passenger that complained and decided not to pursue it.

Whether he tweeted it or whatever, he was the source. The airline hadn't pursued it. I hope he sees it as an amusing anecdote. IMO that's all it is. Making more of it is way too much drama IMO.

We're all basing our opinions on a short article. My opinion is different than yours.

Last edited by disykat; 01-27-2013 at 01:04 PM.
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #161
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat

So every time some person misunderstands or doesn't "get" something everyone else has to accommodate them? Good grief. If I hear someone playing violent music then I should assume they are going to act on it, and they should have to turn it off? People need to learn to mind their own business and quit trying to make the world comply to their understanding or viewpoint.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #162
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
So every time some person misunderstands or doesn't "get" something everyone else has to accommodate them? Good grief. If I hear someone playing violent music then I should assume they are going to act on it, and they should have to turn it off? People need to learn to mind their own business and quit trying to make the world comply to their understanding or viewpoint.
It's funny if you think about it. There are some threads on here where people are up in arms "why don't you think about someone else?" Then there are these threads where "People should leave others alone!" Kind of interesting.

Granny square, I'm not singling you out, I have no idea what you've said in the past. Your post just made me think about this.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #163
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
I've often commented that people are not only way too sensitive about everything nowadays but also want to control what other people think way too much. This is a lot of fuss over nothing even though I do think that the guy should have realized that someone might complain.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #164
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't assume he "ran to the media". It's a funny story to fans of the movie, so I can imagine him telling a friend who told a friend who told a friend who happened to be a reporter having a slow news day.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #165
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I've often commented that people are not only way too sensitive about everything nowadays but also want to control what other people think way too much. This is a lot of fuss over nothing even though I do think that the guy should have realized that someone might complain.
Kinda like this thread?
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3055025

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: