DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Questions about the Westin Ka'anapali Villas

So we were able to book 3 nights in an IV studio at the Westin Ka'anapali Villas using Starwood points. I just hope this is not a let-down following 7 nights at Aulani in an OV studio!! They look pretty nice on the website but we've never stayed there. I was reading some mixed reviews about the buildings there on Trip Advisor...has anybody stayed there before who can maybe give me some pointers / tips / advice on what to maybe request. I don't know if they allow room requests (especially if booked on points) but thought I might explore the option. I read that some rooms can be noisy if they face the road. And of course we'd prefer a true "island view" not a view of a parking garage or something. Just looking for some advice for this property. (I figured Dean would know the answers...)

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
dvc_john
DIS Veteran

DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 2nd Place

I can't really help much as I've never stayed there. But I did wander thru the resort last September while walking the ocean front path from the Hyatt on the south end to the northern end. I would stay there anytime in any view unit.

Did you view the website?
http://www.westinkaanapali.com/roomsandsuites/roomtypes
This shows where the IV studios are located.

DVC nights stayed to date:
AKV 15, ARS 5, BCV 61, BLT 17, BWV 83, HH 64, OKW 198, SSR 30, THV 9, VB 28, VGC 15, VGF 4, VWL 52

dvc_john is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
FoodLover
Founder of MouseSavers.com

We stayed there in 2009 and really liked it. We had been staying in a villa at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua and decided at the last minute to extend our vacation when I got a great last-minute deal at the Westin Ka'anapali Villas.

At the Westin we had a 1-bedroom, which had a full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. Having since stayed at Aulani, I would say the unit was similar to DVC in terms of amenities and decor.

(By the way, ironically, while the Ritz-Carlton was quite a bit fancier, with higher-end finishes, the Westin met our needs better because the Ritz-Carlton unit didn't have its own laundry facilities -- you had to send everything out to valet laundry, which was super expensive -- and the Ritz-Carlton unit's "kitchen" only had a microwave!)

We used the grills at the Westin Villas several times. The pools are lovely. The beach pool bar is very enjoyable. Ka'anapali Beach is one of the best on Maui, with great snorkeling right off the beach.

Restaurants were pretty good, though we ate in our unit most of the time. Really we had no complaints.
FoodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc_john View Post
I can't really help much as I've never stayed there. But I did wander thru the resort last September while walking the ocean front path from the Hyatt on the south end to the northern end. I would stay there anytime in any view unit.

Did you view the website?
http://www.westinkaanapali.com/roomsandsuites/roomtypes
This shows where the IV studios are located.
Yes, I've browsed through the website a few times...It looks very nice - I've just read a couple of reviews on Trip Advisor that said if you face the highway it will be noisy and I know there are more than 1 building so I was just trying to figure out if there was something I should put into a room request to avoid the highway problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodLover View Post
We stayed there in 2009 and really liked it. We had been staying in a villa at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua and decided at the last minute to extend our vacation when I got a great last-minute deal at the Westin Ka'anapali Villas.

At the Westin we had a 1-bedroom, which had a full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. Having since stayed at Aulani, I would say the unit was similar to DVC in terms of amenities and decor.

(By the way, ironically, while the Ritz-Carlton was quite a bit fancier, with higher-end finishes, the Westin met our needs better because the Ritz-Carlton unit didn't have its own laundry facilities -- you had to send everything out to valet laundry, which was super expensive -- and the Ritz-Carlton unit's "kitchen" only had a microwave!)

We used the grills at the Westin Villas several times. The pools are lovely. The beach pool bar is very enjoyable. Ka'anapali Beach is one of the best on Maui, with great snorkeling right off the beach.

Restaurants were pretty good, though we ate in our unit most of the time. Really we had no complaints.
The last time we went to Hawaii we stayed at the Sheraton at Black Rock - loved that walk along the beach into Lahaina. We'll only be on Maui for 3 nights this trip so our time is limited...not sure that I'll plan on grilling anything. We'll likely do breakfasts in our villa. Want to hit a couple of places in Lahaina that we want to eat at again and possibly do a luau.

From what I've seen on the Westin website it appears that even the studios have a cooktop, full frig, real dishes and a washer & dryer so that's a plus. (Sounds a little better than DVC actually since the DVC studios don't offer any of this stuff.) Although I despise doing laundry on vacation I was considering doing a couple of loads at Aulani - but since we're also in a studio there it wouldn't be as convenient since I'd have to go to a laundry room. So I may wait until we get to Maui. We'll see. It would be nice if I could manage to pack the 3 of us in our carry-ons and only 2 checked bags in order to avoid paying checked bag fees for the 3rd person....but with being gone for 2 weeks I'd definitely need to plan on doing some laundry somewhere!!

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

Old 03-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
disneydenisel
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Have you already finished your stay? We own at that resort and have visited at least 10 times.

For an IV studio, your best bet is to book at the Westin Ka'anapali Villas North, since none of the views from that resort are parking lot. They are usually garden, koi ponds, etc. The studios at North will have a small lanai, whereas the studios at South will not have a lanai (South was built first and then they changed some things when they built North).

The studios at North are a bit smaller than South. We own an OV at South and love the resort. You really can't go wrong. If you don't like kid noise, maybe you can request NOT a view of the Pirate Pool.

You may have already come and gone, but let me know if you have any questions.

Disneyland since 1963
First trip to WDW--offsite May 1994
Grand Californian 2002, 2004
BCV Thanksgiving 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, December 2013
VGC & PPH June 2011

VGC June 2012, June 2013
Aulani March 2013
disneydenisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
utahkennedys
DIS Veteran

We stay at the Westin every year. The real bonus is Starwood builds much better studio layouts including a washer/dryer. We prefer the 1BR of course but will make do in a studio. It's a fabulous resort! We stayed 10 days at Aulani last year combined with the Marriott Ko'Olina and...preferred the Marriott property. So my point is I don't think the Westin will be a let down. We also prefer the south villas at Westin and have always had ocean view. It's a much quieter and spread out vibe than Aulani.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydenisel View Post
Have you already finished your stay? We own at that resort and have visited at least 10 times.

For an IV studio, your best bet is to book at the Westin Ka'anapali Villas North, since none of the views from that resort are parking lot. They are usually garden, koi ponds, etc. The studios at North will have a small lanai, whereas the studios at South will not have a lanai (South was built first and then they changed some things when they built North).

The studios at North are a bit smaller than South. We own an OV at South and love the resort. You really can't go wrong. If you don't like kid noise, maybe you can request NOT a view of the Pirate Pool.

You may have already come and gone, but let me know if you have any questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahkennedys View Post
We stay at the Westin every year. The real bonus is Starwood builds much better studio layouts including a washer/dryer. We prefer the 1BR of course but will make do in a studio. It's a fabulous resort! We stayed 10 days at Aulani last year combined with the Marriott Ko'Olina and...preferred the Marriott property. So my point is I don't think the Westin will be a let down. We also prefer the south villas at Westin and have always had ocean view. It's a much quieter and spread out vibe than Aulani.
Hi guys! We don't go until August. I don't know how to know where we're booked! The confirmation only says "The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas". It doesn't specify north or south. Can you tell by the address? (ie Do they have different addresses?) Do you contact them ahead of time with a location request for north or south or do you just ask at check-in for our case? On the amenities list on the confirmation it does not mention a w/d but I thought I read the studios have them....

What to do....what to do?! A lanai would be nice....

Old 03-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
utahkennedys
DIS Veteran

As far as I know they are 2 separate resorts with 2 separate names and addresses. We did have a great corner lanai once on our first visit to a studio but that is pretty rare in the original villas. For some reason the north villas have always felt more removed to me and away from the main resort, but my girls do enjoy the pool there so we swam there a few nights. Honestly...give me any room at either resort and I'll be happy!!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahkennedys View Post
As far as I know they are 2 separate resorts with 2 separate names and addresses. We did have a great corner lanai once on our first visit to a studio but that is pretty rare in the original villas. For some reason the north villas have always felt more removed to me and away from the main resort, but my girls do enjoy the pool there so we swam there a few nights. Honestly...give me any room at either resort and I'll be happy!!
OK then so the address on my confirmation is 6 Kai Ala Drive, Lahaina. Can you tell from that which one we'll be in?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
utahkennedys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
OK then so the address on my confirmation is 6 Kai Ala Drive, Lahaina. Can you tell from that which one we'll be in?
I would say call Westin and ask which one you booked? Perhaps as a hotel guest they don't guarantee regular or North??
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
disneydenisel
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
6 Kai Ala Drive is the South Villas, which is the original one, where we own a week. If you booked it through the hotel, then it should be pretty simple to rebook at the North Villas if you want to guarantee a lanai (it's tiny, but you can sit there ). I can't imagine it would be a different price.

All the studios have a w/d so you are good!

The studios at South are bigger, but with a railing to lean on vs. a lanai. I love the South myself, but you seriously can't go wrong in either place. It's all great! Maui is my favorite place besides Disney.

Disneyland since 1963
VGC & PPH June 2011

VGC June 2012, June 2013
Aulani March 2013
Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Anal Annie

Quote:
6 Kai Ala Drive is the South Villas, which is the original one, where we own a week. If you booked it through the hotel, then it should be pretty simple to rebook at the North Villas if you want to guarantee a lanai (it's tiny, but you can sit there ). I can't imagine it would be a different price.

All the studios have a w/d so you are good!

The studios at South are bigger, but with a railing to lean on vs. a lanai. I love the South myself, but you seriously can't go wrong in either place. It's all great! Maui is my favorite place besides Disney.
Thanks - we booked with Starwood Points so we didn't really have a choice I guess. I mean I put in the request for the Westin resort in general and got a confirmation back. I guess either is fine. I am just hoping an IV there is not a let-down after an OV at Aulani. I almost wished I had booked it in reverse (Maui first THEN Aulani). Oh well...we'll still be in Hawaii, right?!

Last edited by Anal Annie; 03-19-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
epgirl
Earning My Ears

We stayed in a 2 BR in the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North in 2011. When entering the property, you pass the South building and then you get to the North building. The 2 bedroom is a lock-off so we basically had a studio and a 1 BR. The studio does have a cook-top, a full-sized refrigerator with freezer, microwave, real dishes, glasses, utensils, and a washer and dryer. Then, the 1 BR has the full kitchen and another washer and dryer as well. I love the Westin's studios b/c they offer more room amenities than DVC studios. We didn't have an ocean view but we also didn't hear any traffic noise.
epgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
disneydenisel
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Thanks - we booked with Starwood Points so we didn't really have a choice I guess. I mean I put in the request for the Westin resort in general and got a confirmation back. I guess either is fine. I am just hoping an IV there is not a let-down after an OV at Aulani. I almost wished I had booked it in reverse (Maui first THEN Aulani). Oh well...we'll still be in Hawaii, right?!
If you are using Starpoints (hotel points versus timeshare points), can't you just rebook the other resort if you want to? I would think that each resort is an equivalent amount of Starpoints.

But yes, you can't go wrong, you will be in Hawaii! We bought at the original South Villas and couldn't be happier. This year, it will be our 11th trip there, I think ! South is closer to everything, I think. We go to the North Villas pools to relax and visit the Koi fish. It is just a very short walk away.

Disneyland since 1963
VGC & PPH June 2011

VGC June 2012, June 2013
Aulani March 2013
Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
Anal Annie

Quote:
If you are using Starpoints (hotel points versus timeshare points), can't you just rebook the other resort if you want to? I would think that each resort is an equivalent amount of Starpoints.

But yes, you can't go wrong, you will be in Hawaii! We bought at the original South Villas and couldn't be happier. This year, it will be our 11th trip there, I think ! South is closer to everything, I think. We go to the North Villas pools to relax and visit the Koi fish. It is just a very short walk away.
I have NO idea! This is the first time we've used Starpoints like this!! I had just read some reviews on Trip Advisor that said the IV villas on the North side could be noisy due to a nearby highway so I was curious.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: