Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Can non-character CMs sign autograph books?

So I've never really understood the park character autograph book and DD has yet to show interest. Also, we've never even considered it on the ship because we can get signatures at our leisure in Disneyland.

However, we are pulling her from school for two weeks for the WBPC and are brainstorming extra things to enhance the educational aspect of the trip in a praxis way. It's also been important to us to teach our kids that magic is made by people, especially at Disney. So I thought we would get her a DCL autograph book and have her collect autographs, names, and countries where CMs are from (and pictures if they would let us) and then we look up all those places on her globe and learn facts about those countries.

But then it occurred to me that there might be some kind of restriction about CM interaction in that manner, like the rule that adult guests can't wear costumes in the parks unless they have tickets to the Halloween party. I can't imagine why they would restrict the CMs, but before I add this to our plans I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Well the Officers sign things and have their photos taken at pin trading, so I would guess its fine. Great idea too!!!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

I've never had a CM refuse to take a picture. But your idea sounds great even without their autograph. Does the teacher need an autograph as proof or will he or she take your word for it? You would still have the picture right. The CMs are really friendly and maybe your DD can do a mini interview with each one (like 2 or 3 questions about thier country or customs).

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Every CM we have asked about their home country has always been excited that we asked.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Grumpymom73
DIS Veteran

My DS has always asked our servers and stateroom host to sign his autograph book and take pics with them. They are right in there with all the characters and it's a great way to remember your trip!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
poohs4me
DIS Veteran

My DD asked everyone to sign her book and I mean everyone. Only a few people gave her a strange look - but they did do it anyway AND an added bonus was that they remembered her and made an effort to say hi to her.
poohs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We've often had our serving team sign DD's autograph book. Several started writing a message in their native language along with a translation. Very cool.

Never seen a CM decline a signature or photo unless really busy, and then they'd offer to catch her later (and DO it).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

We did something similar when my oldest DS was in elementry school. His social studies teacher gave him a map of the world on 81/2x10 sheet of paper and charged him with meeting three or five (can't remember) people from different countires, get their names, country and a word or two in their language. He ended up with like thirty names and know A LOT of the folks on the ship by the time we left. We were passing servers and such on CC and they were all saying hi to him!

It was a great excercise. We have also bought books in the ports that talk about the country and it's culture. They shared them with teachers.

I always thought it was WAY more educational to take my kids on a trip like this. Instead of just reading about the Myan culture, they visited one of their acutal sites. Experiences like that can't be gained just in the class room.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

Love these ideas! Does anyone have a template or something they would be willing to share?
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: