Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #31
keaster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor
I would never not tip. We have always had great CM's on all of our cruises and do tip extra on most occasions. I just thought I had read somewhere that gratuities were included when you booked with points but maybe I misinterpreted it.
Just to address this point...the only time tips are included in the price is if you take a dvc members only cruise. That's probably what you saw and thought it applied to all cruises on points.

DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012/AKL Kidani - August 2012/BLT - March 2013/SSR Treehouse - August 2013/AKL Kidani - March 2014/VGF - June 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
What are your concerns with safety?

I always read that Carnival is a "party" ship, but we didn't see that at all. Our sailing was filled with kids. Considering it left from New Orleans during Mardis Gras, I was concerned. Yet it was great, no issues. The ship was slightly less nice on the inside as Disney, though not enough to make me think I was going slumming. The offerings for kids is where the difference was, as my kids really missed not having that giant pirate game that we had on the Dream.

The next time we sail, the kids will both be in middle school, with perhaps the oldest in high school. Perhaps the Disney ship won't be as big of a deal for them at that point.

As I siad we had propblems on both our cruises, smaller ships. I have been told its mostly the smaller ships and shorter cruises that have the partiers. To be fair, I am sure its not every or most cruises.

The reports and Maritime info I have read is mounting up in my mind. The QM2 and Spendour and some other vessels of the same class, used a electrical system, designed in Italy, for smaller ships and just *beefed it up*..The MQ11 had a electrical fire, handled well and put out fast. The cause of the fire was found and changes made in the system, however the changes were not made to the tothe other vessels,,,,,,,,,,,,,The spendour fire was caused by the same design issue .....the Concordia also had blackouts (unrelated to the sinking)

Add the fire on the allegro.

There is a class of Princess line vessels(I don't remember the name) that according to carnvial Inc, made*uncommanded hard turns*

My favorite, abit it was years ago.....the Estacy sailed Miami and there was smoke belching out of the stern. It was on TV. The USCG called the vessel to make sure they knew, and the story goes the Master argued with them about it.

Granted they run many ships, but this is getting to be mounting up!

JMHO, but my family will not sail Carnival Inc, but maybe Cunbard. That crew put out the fire fastr.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #33
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
As I siad we had propblems on both our cruises, smaller ships. I have been told its mostly the smaller ships and shorter cruises that have the partiers. To be fair, I am sure its not every or most cruises.

The reports and Maritime info I have read is mounting up in my mind. The QM2 and Spendour and some other vessels of the same class, used a electrical system, designed in Italy, for smaller ships and just *beefed it up*..The MQ11 had a electrical fire, handled well and put out fast. The cause of the fire was found and changes made in the system, however the changes were not made to the tothe other vessels,,,,,,,,,,,,,The spendour fire was caused by the same design issue .....the Concordia also had blackouts (unrelated to the sinking)

Add the fire on the allegro.

There is a class of Princess line vessels(I don't remember the name) that according to carnvial Inc, made*uncommanded hard turns*

My favorite, abit it was years ago.....the Estacy sailed Miami and there was smoke belching out of the stern. It was on TV. The USCG called the vessel to make sure they knew, and the story goes the Master argued with them about it.

Granted they run many ships, but this is getting to be mounting up!

JMHO, but my family will not sail Carnival Inc, but maybe Cunbard. That crew put out the fire fastr.

AKK
I agree. All CLs have some issues but the whole Carnival group doesn't exactly portray a 'safety first' attitude.
Our Carnival cruises weren't a 'party crowd' either but still drunks shouting in the cabin-area hallways at 2am, waking us up. My bathing suit cover up/tank top was stolen from the pool deck. My kids weren't into the clubs & I can't blame them when the evening's activity for 9 yr olds was a "Coke-tail Party" with soda & dancing. My ds would have rather gone to the dentist. Looking back, most of our time onboard was spent at the arcade or pool.

For every show we'd have to ask if it were family-friendly and felt more like a Vegas show of girls with feathery costumes & lots of skin showing.
With DCL we can all enjoy the shows & I never have to question if it's ok for kids to watch. My parents have joined us for many cruises and they enjoy the shows too so it's not just geared to kids. There is still adult-only shows but they are usually much later & in one of the adult area clubs.

When we decided to sail Alaska last summer, I considered other cruise lines since that itinerary is more about the ports & scenery, less emphasis on the onboard ship experience. When ds16 (then going on 15) overheard me talking to dh from the other end of the house, he came running in to say he'd rather not cruise at all if it weren't DCL. Even with the skating rink & rock climbing wall on RCCL, which was closed most of the cruise, there were still a lot of boring times. Like at dinner they said, "This is it for dinner? Just come & sit here every night?" You gotta admit, dinner on DCL is unlike anything else.
Now they both feel that way regarding the Med cruises too. DCL is always a guaranteed AWESOME family experience for us. Who knows when they'll outgrow it. I still haven't.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
madqueen
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoleasawav View Post
you say you are a dvc member, That is how I afford disney cruises. Many people think it is a bad exchange of points but it is the way I afford to cruise. this time I paid by points for my husband and myself and cash for the kids. I don't get on board cridts like most people do but it has helped us enjoy our second disney cruise
Agreed. As much as I love Walt Disney World Resort, the ratio of what you pay to what you get is much better on the cruise, so I think exchange is worth it.
madqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #35
momtoleasawav
Mouseketeer

Booking this trip with points, I paid out of pocket for my kids. I opted for a family verhanda suite which was a little pricey. I cost about 2500. We thought about going to disney instead. Even with the free room, when I factored in park tickets and meals the cruise was actually a little cheaper. But I did use two years worth of points. Either way I am counting the days until I set sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: