Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #31
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

The Academy of Sciences is definitely a better aquarium than the one at the wharf but it is pretty expensive at about $29 per adult. It is relatively small and easy to do leisurely within two hours. Definitely cab is best. Check the times of events for your day of the week ahead of time to maximize your trip.

The Ferry Building is great for local foods for a snack or light lunch.

Your walking plan sounds perfectly doable but there really won't be anything special about the Disney store that you can't find elsewhere unless you are looking for San Francisco themed disney gear.

The street performers and "peddlers" will not bother you for tips. They stand there and do their act with their can/hat/jar in front of them. The "bushman" is funny to watch and that is the most I have ever been approached by anyone in that area and I've lived in the Bay Area for twenty years.

Depending on the ages in your group Alcatraz tours are very popular as well. The Disney Family museum is not good for kids. Lots of history, lots of walking, lots of reading.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
Disney Magic Southern Caribbean September 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #32
valee
Mouseketeer

Thanks for mentioning the tea at the Fairmont - it sounds great. We were already planning on splurging for the tea at Butchart Gardens, and now have another place to get our scone fix.
Based on the info in this thread, I'm thinking we may just hit Ghiradelli at DCA before we leave, go to the Disney Family museum by public transport one day, and walk to the new location of the Exploratorium on the other day, and catch tea at the Fairmont.
valee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #33
Mickey&JoshNut
It's not nice to distract the cute lifeguards

just keep swimming... just keep swimming.... Dory....
now I

We were on the last Pixar cruise and since we had previously been to San Francisco on the DCL Repo cruise in April 2011 - we wanted to see more of the city. On our last visit we went to Alcatraz, Disney Family Museum and a private city tour arranged by a friend for our group.

For this trip, I booked the premium city tour with San Francisco Comprehensive Shuttle Tours. It was amazing. I truly feel that I "saw" all the sights of San Francisco. Our tour guide was Jan and she was born and raised in SF and she loved her city. Some of the highlights for me were not only seeing Lombard Street, but walking down the staircase on the side of Lombard Street. We also went to the DeYoung Museum and went to the top floor and saw the most amazing view of the city. We also got to see the painted ladies that I saw every week at the beginning of Full House (I know cheesy, but really fun to see in person)...the tour was jam packed and my Mom and I still talk about it.

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.sanfranshuttletours.com/s...isco_tours.htm

04/12 Disney Wonder 15 Night Hawaii Cruise 03/12 - Disney Fantasy - Maiden Voyage 09/11 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
05/11 - Disney Wonder - 1st Alaska 7 Night Cruise 04/11 - Disney Wonder Repo LA to Vancouver 04/11 - DL - Disneyland Hotel
02/11 - WDW - POP Century 01/11 - Disney Dream - Maiden Voyage 01/11 - WDW - POP Century 09/10 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
03/10 - WDW - POP Century - Elaine's Birthday Trip 12/09 - WDW - POP Century 09/09 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"

08/09 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter "Mom's Birthday Trip" 05/09 - WDW - POP Century 03/09 - WDW - POP Century
02/09-Disney Magic-Birthday Cruise
02/09-WDW-POP Century 09/08-WDW-POP Century 09/08-Disney Magic-Special 5 Night
08/08 - WDW - POP Century
12/07 - WDW - POR 09/07 - WDW - POP Century 05/07 - WDW - POP Century
Rang in 2007 onboard the Disney WONDER 12/06 - WDW - offsite (MH) 11/06 - WDW - Coronado Springs
09/06 - Disney Wonder - 11 Day Southern Caribbean 03/06 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean 03/06 - WDW - offsite (MH)
10/05 - WDW - offsite (MH)
05/05 - DL - Grand Californian 05/05 - Disney Magic - Maiden Panama Canal Crossing
12/04 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 11/04 - Disney Wonder - 4 day 10/01 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
09/00 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 09/99 - WDW - Caribbean Beach 06/98 - WDW - offsite
Mickey&JoshNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #34
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudinhd View Post
Hey, Everyone! We are 4 months out from the repo cruise from LA to Vancouver and are working on our plans. I did some research on Google Maps to plot a walking route from the port to Pier 39 & the Aquarium, then to Ghirardelli Square, then to Lombard Street, on to the Disney Store, and back to the ship. The total walking time is about 1 hour 45 minutes. Obviously, we would spend time at the Aquarium and do some shopping at the Disney Store. I have never been to San Francisco before, so I don't if this is a realistic plan. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!! Thank you!
What Google Maps doesn't tell you is the number of hills you will walkto get from the wharf to the Disney Store. Some of them are 15 to 20 degrees steep. If you are up to that, it will be a lovely hike.

Last edited by valbob89; 01-27-2013 at 11:49 AM.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: