Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Please share your best stateroom space saving tips!

We're going to be sleeping 5 in a 4 person verandah stateroom (2 adults, teenager & 2 littles) so I need some space-saving/organization tips for the room!

I plan on bringing an over the door show hanger (possibly 2 - 1 for toiletries & 1 for the kids' shoes, socks, underware, etc), magnetic hooks for KTTW, a pop up laundry hamper, travel sized everything we can manage, and possibly extra hangers to hang as much clothes as possible.

What other suggestions can you more experienced DCLers give me? I have 13 more days to get ready!!
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieboyd View Post
We're going to be sleeping 5 in a 4 person verandah stateroom (2 adults, teenager & 2 littles) so I need some space-saving/organization tips for the room!

I plan on bringing an over the door show hanger (possibly 2 - 1 for toiletries & 1 for the kids' shoes, socks, underware, etc), magnetic hooks for KTTW, a pop up laundry hamper, travel sized everything we can manage, and possibly extra hangers to hang as much clothes as possible.

What other suggestions can you more experienced DCLers give me? I have 13 more days to get ready!!
You don't need to pack hangers, your room steward will give you as many as you need.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

It's dumb but:
With makeup find 2 in 1 products.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
cinmouse
Mouseketeer

We always travel with the LL Bean travel bags that hang in he bathroom. They have many sizes & the inside comes out to hang.your shampoo right.in.the shower.
Besides that we also package our clothes by day in 2 gallon zip lock bags..it reduces.over packing.plus everyone knows by day what bag is theirs getting ready.
cinmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom323 View Post
You don't need to pack hangers, your room steward will give you as many as you need.
Great to know, thanks! Will reduce some packing space in our bags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeans1010 View Post
It's dumb but:
With makeup find 2 in 1 products.
Not dumb at all....it's a great suggestion! I already told DD17 that she has to par down her makeup collection to a SMALL travel sized bag for the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinmouse View Post
We always travel with the LL Bean travel bags that hang in he bathroom. They have many sizes & the inside comes out to hang.your shampoo right.in.the shower.
Besides that we also package our clothes by day in 2 gallon zip lock bags..it reduces.over packing.plus everyone knows by day what bag is theirs getting ready.
Great tips! I love the idea of packing outfits in zip locks for my kiddos!! How do you handle dinner clothes? For my boys I plan on packing 2 pairs of slacks & 5 polos for the 5 nights worth on dinners. Would you just not put this in the bags?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
neg58
DIS Veteran

Bring less stuff.

You really don't need so much. You can wear the same clothes to dinner several nights. You don't need shoes to match every outfit. Share one tube of toothpaste. Shampoo and lotion is provided (and great).

Store things in your suitcases under the bed until you need them. For the little kids, you might want to prepare outfits for the day (socks, undies, shorts, shirts) in zip locks, and leave them in the suitcase until that day arrives and put the used outfits back into the bags.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Bring less stuff.

You really don't need so much. You can wear the same clothes to dinner several nights.

Nancy
Thanks! That is my plan. We're on a 5 night, so I plan on bringing everyone 1-2 pairs of pants & 4 different shirts for dinners, plus an outfit for semi-formal night. I figure my boys (and DH!) will be fine wearing the same pair of khakis with different polos each night. And I doubt anyone will make a fuss about little boys wearing flip flops or crocs to dinner, so I'm not packing dress shoes. I'd probably let them wear the same shirt for 2 nights, but they are notorious for getting things on their shirts & I don't want to do laundry during my vacation!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

If you aren't planning on doing laundry on board, skip the pop up hamper and just throw the dirty clothes back in the suitcase under the bed.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
noriega
Earning My Ears

Take one less shirt and plan to buy one for everyone one while on board. Keep in mind, they cost around 10 to 25 bucks.

That way you have the cruise date on your shirts, etc...for your photos.

I took 8 shirts for our 8 night cruise. I wore 4 shirts the whole time, usually just my favorates. Wore my new t-shirt three of those days because we did a load of laundry.
noriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

You can also ask the room steward to remove the table that is front of the couch. It will give you more room to move around.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/Photos/DCL_St...s/DSC00004.htm
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noriega View Post
Take one less shirt and plan to buy one for everyone one while on board. Keep in mind, they cost around 10 to 25 bucks.

That way you have the cruise date on your shirts, etc...for your photos.

I took 8 shirts for our 8 night cruise. I wore 4 shirts the whole time, usually just my favorates. Wore my new t-shirt three of those days because we did a load of laundry.
Good idea! I've ordered pirate t-shirts online for my boys, but I'm sure we'll buy DCL shirts, too!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

At the risk of being repetitive, don't bring as much stuff. I STILL bring way more stuff than I use...even on a long cruise.

One pair of black pants or a black skirt can pair with different tops and take your thru multiple dinners...and since you wear your dinner clothing for 2-3 hours per night, each outfit can do a couple of nights unless you dump something on it. Your DD doesn't need 42 pairs of shoes! You don't need hangers (state room host will happily supply all you need.) You don't need a pop up laundry basket--use a suitcase or a big plastic shopping bag/garbage bag. This will fit in your suitcase to go home and no worries about smelling up the luggage!

Make the kids pick up their stuff and declare it either "can be worn again" or "must be washed."

For the little kids, pack each outfit in a ziplock bag and smash the air out. Put the bags in the drawer and each day, pull out a bag. All the parts will match and you don't do a socks/underwear hunt. Even dad can get them dressed.

Again....DON"t bring as much stuff.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

For port days (GC we're doing our own thing...shopping/sightseeing and a taxi to Sea Grape; Cozumel we're doing DCL excursion snorkeling w/ stingrays) would you pack a day outfit for the kids, or just swim trunks/t-shirt plus dinner clothes for the day?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
All the parts will match and you don't do a socks/underwear hunt. Even dad can get them dressed.

J
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
poohs4me
DIS Veteran

Definately pack less stuff - that being said I overpack the underwear. With the hot weather you never know and I am not one to want to laundry. I also plan to buy shirts I will wear.

We do not like the over the door hangar thing. It gets in our way.

Also think about what you will really want to carry. My mom always brings a purse but then it just sits in the stateroom taking up space.
poohs4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: