Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Key West to Old Key West day 1

Sunday 11th Nov 2012
We were up and ready for when my friend Matt picked us up at 8.00am. Being a Sunday there were no morning rush hour problems and our drive to Heathrow Terminal 3 was very smooth and uneventful. It helps that Matt used to work at terminal 3 and was able to take us on all the short cut back roads the normal airport users wouldn't know about.
I'd already done online check in the day before and managed to bag seats in the bubble. There was no queue at bag drop or security so we were airside in no time at all.
Next up on our list of things to do today was a lovely breakfast at Bridge; The Big Vegetarian for Theresa and The Grande for me.

Theresa had downloaded a voucher from the Eat Drink & Fly web site and we had 15% off of our bill which came to £25.00 inc. tip.
We had a look around a few of the shops and bought a Paddington Bear for my Cousin James little girl, Cadance. We had a chat with a nice American couple who were also flying to Miami but not on our flight. WE got talking to them when the lady made the tomohawk arm gesture as I was wearing my Noles top, it was the first time anyone this side on the Atlantic had done it and it took me a few moments to cotton on. He had served in the Army and as it was Remembrance Sunday, the airport was going to have a 2 minute silence and he was quite upset that he'd not been able to get a poppy so I gave him mine.
It was eerie when the whole airport came to a standstill and there were a few people who were not aware of what was going on, looking very puzzled.
Our flight today was on Cosmic Girl and we were 45 mins late taking off.

I struggled to get my camera bag in the overhead locker and ended up putting it in the storage cabinet behind the 1st class section. Drinks were served pretty quickly; Theresa had a fruit punch and a white wine with the meal which followed shortly after take-off. We both went for the Chicken in Leek sauce which was actually nice.

Even the bread roll wasn't as rock hard as last time. We watched a few films like The Hunger games and Spiderman. It was nice and quiet in the bubble and it meant we were off the plane quickly when we got to Miami, even if I did have to be quick getting to the locker to grab my bag once we landed.
Once we were off the plane we went straight to passport control with no queue, straight up to the desk!!!!! The down side was we waited an age for our baggage but then it was straight through customs and on to car hire. No wait here and we were off to collect the car. We had a choice of four and I opted for the Dodge Avenger, really nice muscle car.

We were on our way, ok not so much, we had a satnav that Joh & Gary had picked up for us on their trip in August and we were having problems getting out of the airport and onto the right road as there were road works with several road closures around the airport. Eventually we sorted it out and we were on our way. We stopped at Sonny's real pit BBQ at Homestead and had a really lovely meal. I can recommend the ribs, they are to die for. The bill came to $38.00 inc tip.

Next we popped into Walmart (of course we did). We just grabbed a few essentials like toiletries, Cheesecake Factory cheesecake, Cinnamon rolls, milk and OJ for breakfast.

On the way down to the Keys we saw a car which looking like it had thousands of tiny fairy lights all over it, it was the most amazing paint job I've ever seen. We really wished we'd been able to get a picture of it but we never got into a position to be able to.
We arrived at Anchorage Resort & Yacht Club in Key Largo at about 10.00pm. We collected our keys from the drop box and had a quick look around our apartment 402, which had a lovely balcony over- looking the sea before quickly unpacking and crashing into bed.

1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

Last edited by tony64; 12-30-2012 at 12:59 PM.
tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Checking in. I am glad that you had such a smooth start. The dinner looked fantastic. The apartment looks really lovely, too.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Excellent start.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Goofysmate
Isn't fussed where she is, as long as it's a bit warmer than here

Glad you started your trip report i've been waiting to hear all about your trip to the keys.
Good Start
Sept 2006 Weston Hills (Villa)
Nov 2008 Regal Palms (Town House)
Goofysmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Great start Tonester. You look a bit tired in that first photo and not at all excited Your bread roll with your meal looked nice. We got the rock hard brown rolls when we last flew with VA, they are so minging.

So glad you have started, now I'm off to read more.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Great start to your trip Tony.

Hope the Satnav early troubles are all sorted

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

Yay fab start to your hols
Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great start and I love that you consider Cheesecake Factory Cheescake and Cinnamon Rolls "an essential"
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
Netty
A six foot palm from Wal-Mart would make a very festive Christmas tree
Especially if covered with FROG ornaments!

brill start cant wait to read more!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Bit late to the party but a fab start to your trip. Love the Car!!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

It looks stunning .... I adore the Keys. Those cinnamon rolls look yummy !
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
1andrea
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Great travel day if it ended with a trip to Walmart for cinnamon rolls and cheesecake!

[/url]

2005 January DLRP 3 Nights Dream Castle
2005 May/June 14 Nights Swan and Dolphin and 7 Nights Clearwater
2006 May/ June 10 Nights All Stars Movies and 10 Nights Jamaica
2007 June 14 Nights Saratoga Springs
2008 May/June 21 Nights Beach Club Villas, Hard Rock Hotel and Wilderness Lodge Villas
December 16 Nights Polynesian, Portofino Bay and Grand Floridian
2009 March DLRP 3 Nights Sequoia Lodge
2009 May/ June 22 Nights Port Orleans Riverside, Hard Rock Hotel and Animal Kingdom Lodge
2010 May/ June 26 Nights Bay Lake Tower, Hard Rock Hotel and Boardwalk Villas

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

[/url]

1andrea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: