Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Closest ship to a Disney ship for those on a tight budget this year?

Just wondering if anyone found a ship that is CLOSE to a Disney experience for the kids, but at a significant discount from what you'd pay for Disney.

We sailed the Disney Dream and the Carnival Conquest over the past few years, and we loved both. But admittedly the Conquest wasn't comparable to Disney if you looked at it with a microscope. We still had a blast, and the excursions were awesome.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Disney is the industry leader for kid's cruises, so you are asking a lot from another line. Once we grew out of Disney, we transitioned to RCI and HAL. We were nervous at first, but we just went with the flow and had a blast. My son wasn't as in to the kids'stuff by this point, so the cruises were still fun for all of us. RCI is better for kids; HAL attracts an older crowd. We pay a fraction on other lines than what we paid on Disney, therefore we can cruise more often! THe ports are still the same.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Royal Caribbean has some great options. They include Dreamworks characters, nice kids clubs and lots to do on board. Shows are top notch but not as appealing to the youngest. They are family friendly and include live orchestra (big difference to me) and the show themes are good but are just geared older in general.

My comments pertain to Freedom class and Oasis class. I don't know about the smaller ships. All of those Freedom and larger are actually larger than the Dream and have a lot to offer.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
mikelan6
World Traveler, Usually Optimistic

I would also highly recommend Royal Caribbean Cruise lines for you. We had a blast and we went in November 2011.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
cruisinwithmaandpa
Happiness is being grandparents

We are loyal to Royal. We actually like Majesty of the Seas the best and its itinerary. We have sailed CCL, NCL, and DCL, but prefer RCL. Royal has introduced a new menu. My DH likes that he can get escargot every night.
cruisinwithmaandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

Royal carribbean liberty, freedom, oasis, and allure are probably the closest you'll come.
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
BlakeandMaddysMomma
Mouseketeer

How does Princess cruise lines compare?
BlakeandMaddysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I agree with PP, RCL is the palce to look.

I will not permit anyone in my family to sail carnival due to my concerns with safety.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Another vote for rccl.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
horizons1983
Horizons 1 is now departing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeandMaddysMomma View Post
How does Princess cruise lines compare?
I'm trying Princess for the first time in January (new ship...Royal Princess) and am very excited. From what I've seen so far planning for Princess while the quality of service, food and ship seem very Disney it seems a little light on kids areas and activities, so not sure what impact that might have for the kids.

I've tried RCCL and CCL and though I liked some things neither was as great as Disney, especially when it came to Children's programs/spaces. As I think someone said earlier if you go RCCL (which is probably closest to Disney) get the NEWEST ship possible as their attention to kids is really only evident on the last two classes of ships. On Jewel of the Seas they had very little just for kids and that ship was build in 2004.
Disney Magic 2003 -- Disney Wonder 2010 -- Disney Dream 2011 -- Disney Fantasy 2012 -- Carnival Ecstasy 2012 -- Jewel of the Seas 2013 -- Disney Dream 2013 -- Norwegian Dawn 2013 -- Royal Princess 2014 -- Disney Magic 2014 -- Disney Dream 2014 -- Regal Princess 2015 -- Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015

horizons1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

HAL. The passengers are only older during non-peak times. Summer, the ships have a lot of young people and kids. I suspect Disney cruisers are a whole lot more willing to take their children out of school for a vacation than HAL cruisers with kids.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
MinnieMommy2381
Earning My Ears

Royal Caribbean Oasis and NCL Epic

Both have great prices on their cruises and some people say that the Epic is giving Disney a run for their money. I've read several reviews where the travelers prefer the Epic better
MinnieMommy2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
HAL. The passengers are only older during non-peak times. Summer, the ships have a lot of young people and kids. I suspect Disney cruisers are a whole lot more willing to take their children out of school for a vacation than HAL cruisers with kids.
During peak time is HAL comparable to RCI's newer ships (referring to a pp's post) in terms kids?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
During peak time is HAL comparable to RCI's newer ships (referring to a pp's post) in terms kids?
HAL doesn't have the rock-climbing wall, ice rink, zip line, flow-rider, or other stuff that attracts kids like RCI.

We're also fans of RCI, and their sister Celebrity.

Princess -- stick with their newer ships. Some of their older ships really show their age, but you could say that of most cruise lines.

The itinerary can have a big impact on the number of kids on board. They'd rather go where the beach activities are, instead of Alaska, tho we never ran out of things to do there.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

If we are not sailing DCL, we look for new ports. We sailed on HAL last April during Easter. Only 40passengers under 18 old. My kids has a good time. they were able to bond with the other kids their age. My daughter was 11. She has 8 kids in her age group. My son was 14 and had 12 kids his age.

They said they would go again. Got fabulous last minute deal. 11 night southern with 8 port. All four of us was $1800.

We are booked on NCL for Christmas/nye. We are on a 10 night southern. It is a few hundred dollars cheaper t han the 4 and 5 night Disney cruises during the same time.

We are sailing on Disney over easter.8 night to Bahamas.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: