Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #31
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Just bought and printed our tickets!

Keeps getting more real!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

It's always fun to print the tickets and actually have them in hand, isn't it? There is something so final about it.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #33
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

WOW! At this time 2 weeks from now, we'll be on an airplane headed to California.

And, I'm stressing over the silliest things. Like what days which kids are going to wear which shirts. I mean, big stressful problems over here. Big problems.

Kids just finished watching the Disneyland Fun Sing-a-long DVD. I love that I bought it 5 years ago before our first trip, and they still love watching it. That DVD brings back so many memories! They're all tall and big dancing around the living room and I can still picture them as little toddlers doing the same thing.

Went to 2 parades last night, and the kids sorted toys and beads all morning. Heading out to some more this evening. Milking Mardi Gras for all it's worth since we'll be missing the big weekend.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #34
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

We had that Disneyland Sing-along on VHS when my son (now 16) was a baby and he wore it out. So hilarious to see the 90s fashions and the rides that no longer exist (Skyway anyone?) or have changed a lot.

Two weeks will go fast!

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
CLKnCA
Earning My Ears

Great PTR, lindy. It makes me excited for you and for your family! You'll all have a blast.

I agree with your decision to see fireworks the first Saturday you arrive. If you're up in Hollywood on Sunday, you don't want to chance not making it back in time, and you do not want to miss those fireworks; it's an incredible show! See them on Main St or the hub in an area where you will be able to see the castle. You'll get to see Tinkerbell fly, which is pretty darn cool with this show!

Which other restaurants are you visiting with ADRs? Any chance you thought about Blue Bayou? Make a reservation there, even if for lunch, as the atmosphere is fantastic.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #36
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
We had that Disneyland Sing-along on VHS when my son (now 16) was a baby and he wore it out. So hilarious to see the 90s fashions and the rides that no longer exist (Skyway anyone?) or have changed a lot.

Two weeks will go fast!

PHXscuba
We've now watched it two more times. The clothes and hair are all hilarious. We watched it in preparation for our Disney World trips, and it was really great for the kids to see the characters as huge, imposing, larger than adult beings instead of little cartoons and also to see some rides so that they had some idea of what this "Disney World" we kept talking about was. Now that they're older and understand the difference between Disney World and Disneyland (well the older two), it's fun to watch it before actually going to the Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKnCA View Post
Great PTR, lindy. It makes me excited for you and for your family! You'll all have a blast.

I agree with your decision to see fireworks the first Saturday you arrive. If you're up in Hollywood on Sunday, you don't want to chance not making it back in time, and you do not want to miss those fireworks; it's an incredible show! See them on Main St or the hub in an area where you will be able to see the castle. You'll get to see Tinkerbell fly, which is pretty darn cool with this show!

Which other restaurants are you visiting with ADRs? Any chance you thought about Blue Bayou? Make a reservation there, even if for lunch, as the atmosphere is fantastic.

Enjoy your trip!
Howdy! Thanks for stopping by! I've seriously considered Blue Bayou. Part of me really wants that experience, but considering the kids ages and the fact that we're from New Orleans, I think our money is better spent on character meals. DH is already complaining about the Bayou Bash food not being real New Orleans food. I don't want to add the $$ of Blue Bayou to that complaint. He's not a big Disney person, he just goes to humor us! But, I don't need to walk into situations that I know will annoy him!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #37
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

The DIS just posted info about True Love week, the 3rd Limited Time Magic event that we'll be in the parks for!

Quote:
True Love Week

February 11 - 17, 2013

Limited Time Magic

Love is in the air all over the Disneyland Resort during True Love Week. At the Royal Walk near It's a Small World, the Disney Princes join their Princesses. In Town Square, resident sweethearts Mickey & Minnie and Donald & Daisy will be greeting guests.

Much of the Park will be decorated, including a huge floral heart in Town Square and flower garland around Snow White's Wishing Well. At dusk, Sleeping Beauty Castle will glow red and pink.

Special merchandise and food items will also be offered.
Very exited to see Daisy. I'd heard she was rare in DL, and DS2 adores her! I had originally read somewhere else that the Fab 5 would meet with their true loves. I was hoping that meant Clarabelle and Daisy. Excited to see Daisy confirmed, since DS loves her, but wishing for Clarabelle since we've met Daisy multiple times and never Clarabelle. And, we won't see her at Dancin with Disney as I originally hoped.

But, DS doesn't remember meeting Daisy when he was 4 months old, so he'll be thrilled! And, I'm thrilled that he'll be thrilled!

Last time DS met Daisy:

As for the princes, DD was obsessed with characters last trip. Obsessed! But, was terrified of the princes!!

On our last day, my dad and I camped out for 3 hours so she could meet Rapunzel and Flynn Rider. She'd been begging to meet Rapunzel all trip, and we'd never wanted to wait. So, the last day we beeline over there and Dad and I camp out with the baby. While we waited, DH took DS to do some rides, and my mom took DD do some things and then to meet Jasmine when her line opened up b/c we had missed her earlier in the week. Aladdin was with her and DD did not want to go up to him. My mom is in the picture with them and DD is clinging on to her hand looking terrified.

Then, they get back just in time for us to go into the Rapunzel meet. The kids begin with a coloring page, then Rapunzel and Flynn come out and greet the kids. DD is wearing her Rapunzel dress and Rapunzel comes compliment her hair. They start dancing around and Flynn grabs my daughter to dance with her. I lift up my camera all excited about this special moment, and DD has a complete and total freak out.

Seconds before freak-out:

It took the whole rest of the activity time, plus we stood back and waited to be last for the pictures after. She was still crying. Rapunzel was so sweet and took some much time trying to get her to warm up. And, then I still had to get in the picture b/c she wouldn't take one with Flynn without me. I later cropped me out so that I'm just a barely noticeable, tiny sliver of a part of me that the DIS won't let me type.

But, we did get this awesome shot out of the whole ordeal! Mine and photopass

She didn't mind Naveen though. Odd. But, he was really good. Talked to my kids FOREVER about Mardi Gras and New Orleans (we actually met them on Mardi Gras day). DD made sure to tell Tiana that you don't put honey on beignets. They talked so long that I was feeling awful for the people in line behind us. I kept trying to hurry them along a bit, but Tiana and Naveen would shoo me away and keep talking. I wish I had that interaction on video. They were so great. Now that I think about it, I should have sent a compliment for them after the trip.

We've never met Prince Charming, Snow White's prince, Beast, or Prince Eric. So, it will be neat if we can meet any of those. Assuming DD is over her prince thing!

11 DAYS!

Last edited by lsulindy; 01-29-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #38
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

I keep resizing these pics in Photobucket, but no matter how tiny I make them there, they show up the same big size here...

ETA: Nevermind I got it. I kept saving and replacing, but if I save as copy, then it works! Going update my pics!!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #39
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Santa brought us balloons hahahaha. Kind of like being more excited about the box than present.

Wow, you get 3 limited time magics...I am starting to worry now if I'll even get 1 or if it'll be another online voting thing.

I am looking forward to reading your trip report and seeing Disney through the kids' eyes.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #40
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
Santa brought us balloons hahahaha. Kind of like being more excited about the box than present.

Wow, you get 3 limited time magics...I am starting to worry now if I'll even get 1 or if it'll be another online voting thing.

I am looking forward to reading your trip report and seeing Disney through the kids' eyes.
Yep. I nudged my husband and said "You realize we could have gotten away with just giving them balloons?!"

I know some people are disappointed because these are events that they normally have. But, whether they're Limited Time Magic or just seasonal stuff, I'm pretty pumped about all our special events! Takes some sting out of all of the closures!

Disney through kids' eyes is just the best. After our first trip when DS7 was just turning 3, I said I wanted to go with each kid around that age. DH isn't a big Disney fan, so he thought going back to the same place was crazy, but we went back right when DD turned 4 and now DS2 will be 2 1/4 years for this trip. I'd rather him be closer to 3, but want to go before his 3rd birthday when he doesn't need a ticket and want to avoid the summer, so.... I can't wait to see him though. He loves the characters so much!! When we watch the planning DVD or sing-a-long DVD or Christmas Day parade, he just jumps up and down and points and yells character names every time one comes on the screen. Ahh... I can't wait to see him there!

Last edited by lsulindy; 01-30-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #41
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

10 DAYS!

After yesterday's post, I started thinking about the different characters I'm hoping to see b/c they weren't available or we missed them in WDW. Over the day, kept thinking of different characters that people have mentioned in their posts that I'd previously forgotten. So, I decided to write them down in a list so I wouldn't forget any. Then, the list got huge!! Don't think seeing all of them is a real goal. All the posts I see say to ask at City Hall, but I don't think I'm going to whip out this list for them. haha

Characters we've never met that may be available in DL or DCA:
  • Tinkerbelle
  • Merida
  • suzy
  • perla
  • fairy godmother
  • pinocchio
  • gepetto
  • queen of hearts
  • cruella
  • peter pan
  • wendy
  • Mr. Smee
  • prince charming
  • prince eric
  • prince phillip
  • snow white prince
  • beast
  • Bert
  • Jessie
  • piglet
  • rabbit
  • eeyore
  • mulan (DCA Lunar New Year)
  • mushu (DCA Lunar New Year)
  • Max
  • Evil Queen
  • Flik (DCA Bug's Land)
  • Jake (Hollywoodland)
  • Dug (DCA Redwood Creek Challenge)
  • Russell (DCA Redwood Creek Challenge)
  • Mr. Incredible (Got Frozone 3 times as we attempted to get Mr. and Mrs. Incredible last trip... The first time we were fine with Frozone b/c we'd never met him. The next 2 times we were next in line when they switched over!!)

Special outfits:
  • Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree Cowboy Mickey and Cowgirl Minnie (is this only on weekends, don't think we'll make it Saturday, maybe try Friday)
  • mardi gras minnie and mickey
  • mardi gras goofy
  • lunar new year minnie and mickey
  • bvs mickey
  • bvs chip & dale
  • Paradise Pier Mickey in resort wear
  • Pilot Minnie (after fly girls show)
  • Pilot Goofy (by sky school)
  • princess minnie (not doing Ariel's and with the prince promotion going on for True Love week, I'm thinking Princess Minnie probably won't be meeting with the princesses.)

So, then after making the list, I was thinking "We met a gazillion characters last trip at WDW. How can there possibly be that many characters that we haven't seen?" So then I pulled out the WDW album from 2011 and counted characters. We had meet and greets or meals with 65 characters!! WOW! I had no idea it was that many. There were a few repeats in there, but still. Wow! And, in the moment, it seemed like we were missing a lot of them!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #42
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post

10 DAYS!

After yesterday's post, I started thinking about the different characters I'm hoping to see b/c they weren't available or we missed them in WDW. Over the day, kept thinking of different characters that people have mentioned in their posts that I'd previously forgotten. So, I decided to write them down in a list so I wouldn't forget any. Then, the list got huge!! Don't think seeing all of them is a real goal. All the posts I see say to ask at City Hall, but I don't think I'm going to whip out this list for them. haha

Characters we've never met that may be available in DL or DCA:
  • Tinkerbelle
  • Merida
  • suzy
  • perla
  • fairy godmother
  • pinocchio
  • gepetto
  • queen of hearts
  • cruella
  • peter pan
  • wendy
  • Mr. Smee
  • prince charming
  • prince eric
  • prince phillip
  • snow white prince
  • beast
  • Bert
  • Jessie
  • piglet
  • rabbit
  • eeyore
  • mulan (DCA Lunar New Year)
  • mushu (DCA Lunar New Year)
  • Max
  • Evil Queen
  • Flik (DCA Bug's Land)
  • Jake (Hollywoodland)
  • Dug (DCA Redwood Creek Challenge)
  • Russell (DCA Redwood Creek Challenge)
  • Mr. Incredible (Got Frozone 3 times as we attempted to get Mr. and Mrs. Incredible last trip... The first time we were fine with Frozone b/c we'd never met him. The next 2 times we were next in line when they switched over!!)

Special outfits:
  • Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree Cowboy Mickey and Cowgirl Minnie (is this only on weekends, don't think we'll make it Saturday, maybe try Friday)
  • mardi gras minnie and mickey
  • mardi gras goofy
  • lunar new year minnie and mickey
  • bvs mickey
  • bvs chip & dale
  • Paradise Pier Mickey in resort wear
  • Pilot Minnie (after fly girls show)
  • Pilot Goofy (by sky school)
  • princess minnie (not doing Ariel's and with the prince promotion going on for True Love week, I'm thinking Princess Minnie probably won't be meeting with the princesses.)

So, then after making the list, I was thinking "We met a gazillion characters last trip at WDW. How can there possibly be that many characters that we haven't seen?" So then I pulled out the WDW album from 2011 and counted characters. We had meet and greets or meals with 65 characters!! WOW! I had no idea it was that many. There were a few repeats in there, but still. Wow! And, in the moment, it seemed like we were missing a lot of them!
I'm pretty sure I remember that you're going to Goofy's Kitchen, right? (too many trip reports swirling around ) I know we saw Pinocchio and maybe Geppetto there.

Eeyore often appears with Tigger and Pooh in Critter Country. It's a set meet-and-greet. When we first got there it was Pooh/Tigger, than after a break it was Pooh/Eeyore/Tigger.

I saw Mr. Incredible in Hollywoodland. He was usually with Elastigirl or Frozone.

For Tinkerbell you can do Pixie Hollow -- she's always there. Your DD will love it!

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #43
rnorwo1
DIS Veteran

Hi! We live a little north of BR and always take advantage of our week long mardi gras break also.... Going to WDW next week, but I'd love to go to SD and DL next year... I've been lurking around here trying to figure DL out! Looking forward to your report, have a great time!
rnorwo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #44
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember that you're going to Goofy's Kitchen, right? (too many trip reports swirling around ) I know we saw Pinocchio and maybe Geppetto there.

Eeyore often appears with Tigger and Pooh in Critter Country. It's a set meet-and-greet. When we first got there it was Pooh/Tigger, than after a break it was Pooh/Eeyore/Tigger.

I saw Mr. Incredible in Hollywoodland. He was usually with Elastigirl or Frozone.

For Tinkerbell you can do Pixie Hollow -- she's always there. Your DD will love it!

PHXscuba
I currently have ressies at Goofy's Kitchen and Minnie & Friends.

I didn't know Elastigirl met at DCA! We missed them in Hollywood Studios as I mentioned, and shortly after that she was retired there, so I thought we'd missed our shot with her. HA! Add another one to the list.

I also read today that someone saw Baloo at Goofy's. We missed Baloo twice in Animal Kingdom. Would be cool if he popped up somewhere for us!

I know some on the list have regular spots, some have semi-regular spots, and some will require luck. We won't devote the bulk of our time to hunting characters, but hopefully with this list, I can keep in mind where to keep an eye out for some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorwo1 View Post
Hi! We live a little north of BR and always take advantage of our week long mardi gras break also.... Going to WDW next week, but I'd love to go to SD and DL next year... I've been lurking around here trying to figure DL out! Looking forward to your report, have a great time!
Hiya neighbor! I think half my Facebook feed is going to WDW next week. Tell them all I say hi! I'll be sure to report here after to let everyone know how we feel about DL!! Have a great trip!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #45
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

One week to go!

One week from now, we'll be in the parks! Ahhh! Can't believe it.

Just got back from what may be our final Mardi Gras parade of the season, and the kids were definitely sad, although so thrilled for Disney at the same time.

Finally got the kids last shirts back from the embroiderer (my neighbor), most were ready for Christmas, but a few weren't. I love them all, and the kids were thrilled to see them. Thinking of packing them all in a carry-on just in case. I think they're the only items that I would be absolutely devastated if we lost. We can buy anything else in CA if needed, but I gotta have those shirts! I thought about posting pics here, but I think it'll just be better to wait and post them on the kids in my TR!!

Haven't started packing yet, I'm usually a last-minute packer. But, I do like to make lists of all the extras (and start collecting them) so I don't forget anything. Need to get started on that!

Looked at wait times this evening on my phone, trying to decide what will be the best "first ride" for us. We'll be arriving on a Saturday evening. Hoping to get into the parks in time for the parade. Send someone for a Space Mountain or Indiana Jones fastpass before or after the parade depending on timing. Then hit a family ride. Don't want something with a too huge line, but do want something that's stereotypical Disney. For our past 2 trips, the first rides were Dumbo and then Tea Cups.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: