Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
Wshop
Mouseketeer

Only you know your kids but we did late dining with our 6 yr old and thought it was great. We loved being able to make the shows and our son was done with dinner and off to the kids club within 40 minutes every night. His only complaint was that he wanted to stay there even later.
Wshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wshop View Post
Only you know your kids but we did late dining with our 6 yr old and thought it was great. We loved being able to make the shows and our son was done with dinner and off to the kids club within 40 minutes every night. His only complaint was that he wanted to stay there even later.
Yeah, it's really hard to to say, depends on your routine at home, if that routine varies when you on vacation, your home time zone, and which cruise you are on.

Our kids were 12 and 16 when we cruised, and with their soccer and baseball after school, dinner at home was rarely before 7 pm, and some times as late as 8:30pm. We also tend to eat later on vacation, and being west coasters on a Caribbean cruise, late seating was really like eating earlier for our bodies.
We cruised the year before on another line, and our kids really missed have a nightly midnight buffet on Disney. We did order cookies from room service at midnight a couple of nights, but just not the same.
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #18
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

At home we eat between 7:00 and 7:45 and our children are in their 20's. However, after trying both, all 4 of us prefer early seating. We don't really like the show before dinner. Also with the the late seating you don't really have time for much before bed. And, on things like pirate night, you're way too full!

Just our 2 cents

Everyone is different, though, and I know some people's experiences will be the exact opposite.[/QUOTE]
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Ours were 8, 10, and 11 and we did the second seating. It worked great for us, but I did learn a lesson the first night. If you do the second seating, don't bring/buy candy for the shows! Mine filled up on junk at the shows and barely touched dinner. The second night, they had a snack mid afternoon, no candy at the show, and ate dinner just fine. We are on central time zone in the real world, however, so that may have helped.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
madqueen
Earning My Ears

I think it really depends on your kids and how hungry/ cranky they get when they eat a bit later. If they are going to be miserable eating that late, by all means go for the first seating. But if at all possible, try to hold out for the second seating. You can always grab them a snack to hold them over, and the second seating is usually more enjoyable. It is less crowded, less kids overall so less noise, and I prefer seeing the show and then eating. I just think it's less hectic overall. They will always bring the children's meals out first, and if your kids get bored waiting for everyone else to eat, you can ask to have them taken to the oceaneer's club when the counselors come around.
madqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

The only time I can see my son is at Dinner. The rest of the time he wants to be in the kids area and now that he is older with his friends. We had late dinner one cruise and now I will not book a cruise if we cannot get early dinner. It was to much of a hassle with him trying to get out of dinner to go do things with the other kids.

For me, I like to have dinner, go relax with a drink then go to the show. After the show I have my choice to go to bed or do the late night adult thing.

Everyone has their own reasons and this is mine.

Note: If you pick early dining remember room service. My son loves to get room service when he gets back to the room at night. When he was younger it was 11 pm now at 16 it is more like 2 am.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008

Last edited by MikeAndNick; 01-27-2013 at 11:20 AM.
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmo1978 View Post

. . . I'm having difficulty picking between 1st and 2nd seating. Our boys are 4 and 6. Does anyone have any recommendation?
With kids ages 4 and 6, definitely first seating.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: