Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa555 View Post
Doe anyone know where to get rolls of US quarters in Canada. The bank said they don't have them.
Apparently you can get them in WDW food courts. We are taking our shiny Canadian pennies and getting the quarters when we arrive (in 12 days!!)

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessHanasMom View Post
Making my first trip to WDW in a few weeks. Are the penny presses 50 cents per penny?
Yes, you need two quarters and the penny that you want to press.

I have started collecting pre 1982 pennies and cleaned a bunch of them last night. They look brand new.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #18
Sir Aaron
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofthreeboys View Post
Very awesome! I want to do this! Can you share the labels?
Sorry, I didn't check back here lately. I am certainly willing to share the labels, in fact, they were featured on parkpennies.com. You'll need to install several fonts to make them work, but I can tell you about those too.

Just send me a PM and I'll be happy to share.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
Sir Aaron
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessHanasMom View Post
Making my first trip to WDW in a few weeks. Are the penny presses 50 cents per penny?
Yes. 50 cents per penny machine. It's more for dimes, nickels, and quarters. There are A LOT of machines at WDW so you may want to pick a park, theme, etc. for your first time out.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #20
Sir Aaron
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canooknic View Post
Apparently you can get them in WDW food courts. We are taking our shiny Canadian pennies and getting the quarters when we arrive (in 12 days!!)
You can get quarters no problem at WDW. Most of the resorts have machines. If not, just talk to your hotel customer service. They can get you as many rolls as you need.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
LuvClarice
Mouseketeer

Wow

Sir Aaron - that sounds like quite the obsession... I mean collection.
Just curious, are there any that you know of but have not been able to get yet? Do you have a "wish list" or "holy grail".

Kathy
LuvClarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
Sir Aaron
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvClarice View Post
Sir Aaron - that sounds like quite the obsession... I mean collection.
Just curious, are there any that you know of but have not been able to get yet? Do you have a "wish list" or "holy grail".

Kathy
I don't know that I have a wish list. I've pretty much limited my collection to pennies that I have personally pressed. It's a collection, but it's one that I made from places I've been to. The only exceptions I have are free pennies that are given to me as part of my membership to TEC (The Elongagated Collector) or pennies that were given to me when I ordered supplies.

I have sometimes been tempted to purchase pennies especially at auction because some of them have become quite valuable. There are also many Disney pennies I wish I had been able to obtain but was not because the press was broken or I wasn't able to visit when that particular machine was "on stage."

I still have not collected all the WDW pennies. That would a feat in and of itself since it will require me to visit every resort. There are also a number of penny locations around Houston, I've yet to visit.

I haven't decided whether I'll trade with anybody. I have a number of duplicates both in Zinc and Copper.

The one exception I might make is Rainforest Cafe presses. I've been to a number of restaurants and getting them from each and every Rainforest Cafe in the world would be a pretty cool accomplishment.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
Nakkira
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing those. I love collection pressed pennies!

I NEED to find that Kermit one!

Oct 2013 - 5 days (offsite hotel)
Feb 2009 -3 days (offsite hotel)
Oct 2004 - Week (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Feb 1998 - Week (offsite hotel)
Fall 1993 - Week (offsite hotel)
Nakkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Amazing!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
Mickey527
DIS Veteran

I checked all the coin stores here in CT and none of them sell those elongated coin holders, I checked amazon and they have them for really cheap but the shipping is ridiculous. Have to give in though and order them, I love the way those pennies look, so much better than the pressed penny books they sell at WDW.
Here is a great hint for all of you pressed pennie enthusiasts.
If you are getting your pennies ready before you get to the parks soak them in vinegar overnight. The next day they will be so shiny your pressed pennies will look better. If you don't have shiny pennies ready at the park grab a ketchup container and put the pennie in the palm of your hand and rub it well with ketchup then rinse. It will shine your penny up nice enough. the acids in the vinegar will cleanse off all the oxidation on the penny.
I didn't see it here but a miny m&m container makes a good holder. I make it up for my grandson every trip, 2 quarters and a shiny penny, 2 quarters and a shiny penny. Then I get to carry that heavy container around all day...lol
Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #26
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

THIS. IS. AWESOME.

I am a huge Disney collectors and I LOVE these... wish I had them.

Great job, truly.

Ethan

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Sir Aaron
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey527 View Post
I checked all the coin stores here in CT and none of them sell those elongated coin holders, I checked amazon and they have them for really cheap but the shipping is ridiculous. Have to give in though and order them, I love the way those pennies look, so much better than the pressed penny books they sell at WDW.
Here is a great hint for all of you pressed pennie enthusiasts.
If you are getting your pennies ready before you get to the parks soak them in vinegar overnight. The next day they will be so shiny your pressed pennies will look better. If you don't have shiny pennies ready at the park grab a ketchup container and put the pennie in the palm of your hand and rub it well with ketchup then rinse. It will shine your penny up nice enough. the acids in the vinegar will cleanse off all the oxidation on the penny.
I didn't see it here but a miny m&m container makes a good holder. I make it up for my grandson every trip, 2 quarters and a shiny penny, 2 quarters and a shiny penny. Then I get to carry that heavy container around all day...lol

I've started using pre-82 pennies which are made of mostly copper. I now tumble my own pennies as vinegar and ketchup don't clean then well enough, IMHO.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #28
Sir Aaron
Earning My Ears

I'm updating my penny collection. I probably have close to 1,000 pennies. Doing an inventory and storage system has been pretty time consuming. I plan to add more photos soon.

In the meantime, if anybody has any pressed penny questions, please add them here!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #29
DisneyJillian18
Mouseketeer

Hello Sir Aaron,
I have quite a large collection, not as many as you, but getting there!
I purchased the plastic sheeting with 2x2 squares for displaying coins, not realizing it wasn't the same system you were using. Any tips on how to get the coins to stay in the sheeting? I made labels for each thinking that would give it something to "stick" to but it hasn't seemed to help. Any ideas would be appreciated!

I've eaten at 30 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (12%)
I've eaten at 21 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (24%)
I've eaten at 8 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (11%)
I've eaten at 0 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (0%)
I've eaten at 1 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)

DisneyJillian18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #30
mrsabbott
DIS Veteran

Very cool! We decided to have the kids collect pressed pennies for every place we go. Most places have a machine and the kids love cranking that machine and watching their penny come out!

We collect change throughout the year and then I roll it up. So, I usually throw a roll of quarters in my bag and have a baggie that I keep the shiniest pennies in!

We got the kids books to keep them in when we were in DTD. It isn't so much about collecting every single kind, but ones from each place we visit. They have a couple from Sea World, one from Wet n' Wild, one from T-Rex and DTD, and a few from Universal from our last vacation. They also have one from the Indy Motor Speedway when we visited. So, wherever we go, the kids get pennies. They have looked at their collections and shown them to friends. It was loads of fun for them!

March/April 2014 Best Trip Ever Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ight=mrsabbott

April 2015 Spring Break at the Dark Side Pre Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3292612

mrsabbott is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: