Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
jweb20
Earning My Ears

Website that ranks restaurants?

Is there any website where restaurants are like ranked on a 1-10? It's so hard to pick where we will eat... Some people LOVE one place and than so many others so how awful it was. It's overwhelming! I'm not a high-class eater I just need some simple meals that won't make us sick! I've read so many people claiming they have gotten food poisoning or sick from restaurants at WDW.
jweb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
fbb
Mouseketeer

Any website like that is going to be based on opinions, anyway, which as you have noticed vary wildly. My advice to you would be not to worry about the reviews. You'll enjoy yourself and your meals, and you won't get sick from eating at any particular restaurant.
fbb is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
chabs
DIS Veteran

I was just going to say the same thing. Pick the restaurants based on the types of food that you will like and go with that. And make sure that everyone washes their hands A LOT! And carry Purell or something like that. More than likely, those people caught a virus-not food poisoning.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
AppleSister1
DIS Veteran

Agree with both posts above. Everyone has different tastes and expectations, so that's why you see such a variety of different viewpoints. But it's also why Disney offers so many different kinds of dining! Pick menus that look appealing to your group, and go from there. I would argue that very few restaurants at Disney are a total wash with awful food. You really can't go too far wrong.
1982 - WDW, Off site * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 - DL, Disneyland Hotel * 1998 - CSR * 2000 - YC* 2001 - DL, Grand Californian * 2002 - YC * 2003 - YC * 2004 - BC Concierge * 2006 - YC * 2008 - YC * Jan 2010 - WL * May 2010-Poly * Dec 2010 - CSR *April 2011 - AKL CL * Sept 2011 - YC * Dec 2011 - YC * May 2012 - YC * July 2012 - Aulani * Dec 2012 - POFQ * April 2013 - POFQ * June 2014- Contemporary * October '14 Boardwalk
AppleSister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

allears.net has reviews, rankings on a 1-10 scale, and a percentage of how many of their readers would recommend the restaurant. Here is the direct link to their dining board: http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/showcat.php?cat=32

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
rizzo0904
Mouseketeer

tripadvisor.com has rankings too, but it will be by all of orlando. easy to pick out the disney ones.

They rank Victoria and Alberts #1 in all of Orlando...that's out of 1500+ restaurants.

Jiko, Boma, Bluezoo, Earl of Sandwich are all in the top 30.
rizzo0904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others. Look at the menus here on the DIS or at allears.net and choose restaurants that appeal to you and your family. Then go for it. Everyone's tastes differ and as you have already seen, what one family loved based on their taste, another family hated based on their tastes.
There is just about no where that is horrible (despite reports) and if the menu appeals to you chances are you will enjoy it
Good Luck
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
LovingDisney2012
All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust!

You can see reviews for every restaurant and resort at WDW on allears.net. They are rated from 1-10 based on customer reviews. I use tem as a "rough" guideline. Obviously reviews are all subjective to personal preference and specific incidents. However, if I see a restaurant that consistently gets poor reviews, I tend to steer clear. One thing I like about allears is that the beginning of each review lists pros and cons for the restaurant. That way you can see if a good or bad review was based on food quality, service, price, selection, portion size, noise, etc. Hope that helps!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

I wouldn't worry about getting food poisoning. It appears most people who claim to have food poisoning have picked up a stomach virus. I've had true food poisoning. It's so much more than stomach virus symptoms. My lips swelled inside out & I had hives all over my body. There were ridges under my hair. I shook so hard that they had to tie me to the hospital bed in the emergency room. I don't think this is what many people who report food poisoning here have had.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

One other sight for some of the Disney World restaurants ratings would be zagats.com

OUR 2013 DISNEYMOON TRIP REPORT
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

I use tripadvisor.com - you can select the button for Restaurants then type in "Disney World, Florida" and it will give you a list of all restaurants at Disney World, not all of Orlando, ranking from 1 to something. Also - it only lists places that people have taken the time to review. I use it to read reviews, but keep an open mind - some of my favorites are halfway down the list and I wouldn't trade them for the world. It has some great pictures and information, but I do take it with a grain of salt.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I like allears and tripadvisors.
Mainly because I like reading negatives as well as positives and unlike the dis, those sites let you review honestly without having to get flamed .

Now as far as disney restaurants. It is totally possible to have horrible meals on site. I love italian but I will starve before I ever step foot in tony's again. I tend to take the average review and decide.

Generally if 75% of hte reviewers say a restaurant stinks (and they give specific reasons why) I will tend to avoid them.

The issue is that I only have a limited time to eat on vacations, that's why picking a good restaurant is important to me. I had a horrible meal at Ohana one year, so much that my family got a full refund and it really put a damper on my trip mainly because it was our last meal and we missed the fireworks at mk fooling around with the staff so I do a litlle more than pick a restaurant and hope for the best.

Also for my family dinner especially is a time of the day where we laugh, talk and review the day. my dh parents were european so he grew up where dinners took hours. When we go to disney or any vacation, dinner is slow down and take it all in time. who wants to do that with lousy food?

check out the menus on allears then go over to the rate and review section. see what others say.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

I think the 1 - 10 scale is really tough. A place that can be a considered a 10 one time can be a 5 the next or it can be considered a 10 by one person and not another or it can depend on what you order or your server, etc...

I have a Disney dining review website in which I review the WDW restaurants we eat at and also post reviews from other guests who are kind enough to submit them to me. I post photos and elaborate on the food that we ordered. I am not a journalist or professional writer...just a big WDW fan especially when it comes to dining and love to advise others .

So I just try to give an overview of our experience so that someone who has never dined at that particular restaurant can get an idea of what it's like (and trust me it's different every time, whether good or bad it's ALWAYS different).

I have a ways to go as far as getting to every restaurant, but one day I will! In the meantime I work on building it, each day, so feel free to browse through it to check out where we've been and what our experiences are/were. It might give you an idea of some places you may want to dine at.

www.disneydiningreviews.com
jwfla422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Well--look at the one site that ranks Earl of Sandwich right up with Jiko and Blue Zoo!!

Like Figgiefan says, take it all with a grain of salt---
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Most WDW eateries fall in the 4-6 quality. If there's a 10, there's only one--and it's Victoria & Alberts. I don't know if there is a 9, but there are likely some 7s & 8s.

90% of the table service restaurants on property are comparable to Chilis/Applebees. Is that bad?

If you want to drop a bundle of money, you'll do somewhat better. Otherwise, pick the places that have dishes you generally enjoy.

One exception to these rules: If you hail from a place famous for a particular cuisine (i.e. Philadelphia's Philly Steak sandwiches)--FORGET IT! There is no way they can compete with what your hometown is famous for.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: