Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortchef View Post
This has certainly been frustrating and I'm sure that there is no rational reason for people to become absurdly unpleasant at all ..... let alone over a good idea.

Check the stats on our country's obesity rates (number one in the world), heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, and the most recent that the new generation will be the first to have a shorter life span than their parents. Check the fat, calories, and sodium level in the average fast food meal before suggesting again that I am some kind of primadonna for wanting a handful of options. It's not like I'm asking for all meals at all locations to be within the recommended guidelines for calories, fat, salt, and sugar.
"It would be great if Disney would, for example, put together a list of restaurant locations that are well prepared for low sodium requests and/or have one or two low sodium selections on the menu (counter service as well as sit down) at at least one location in each park."

I think this is where you think people are being "absurdly unpleasant". What some of us are trying to point out is, yes, while hypertension is a big eating issue in this country, there are many more that are just as important. And Disney World just can't do everything for everyone.

I feel for you being diagnosed with your restriction, I really do. I can't tell you how difficult is was for my husband to put down the salt shaker and not pour it on every single thing he ate (and he really did do that). But he's adjusted and he still adjusts on Disney trips. And there are low sodium items on just about every single counter service menu. But to ask Disney to label things for this one restriction would lead others to ask for other labels. And then we wouldn't be able to read the menus for all the labels.

No one suggested you are a prima donna. But we are pointing out Disney does have healthy options. But they aren't going to give you a list and say "here, this is what we have". They would have to do that a thousand times a day to make each guest happy.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
glasslipper
DIS Veteran

It would be helpful and alleviate many people's concerns if Disney would just make a nutritional list available. I don't think that is too unreasonable.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #18
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Yes, I did call and speak with the department in Dining that addresses these issues. That's what prompted my post. They told me that they do not provide nutrutional information. As others have said, its very hard to guess the amount of sodium in a dish. They told me that I could make mention of a low sodium request when making a reservation or when arriving at a restaurant and that they could probably do something. Part of what makes it challenging is that much of the food is already prepped. I asked if there were any dining locations better than others for a low sodium request and they did not know. They list locations on their website where Kosher meals are available so it seemed to me that a list where low sodium can be available would be a nice help. Its worth an add that, at this time, healthy meal options at Disney (as have been mentioned in the thread) are a reference to fat content and not to sodium content.
shortchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #19
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortchef View Post
This has certainly been frustrating and I'm sure that there is no rational reason for people to become absurdly unpleasant at all ..... let alone over a good idea.

Check the stats on our country's obesity rates (number one in the world), heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, and the most recent that the new generation will be the first to have a shorter life span than their parents. Check the fat, calories, and sodium level in the average fast food meal before suggesting again that I am some kind of primadonna for wanting a handful of options. It's not like I'm asking for all meals at all locations to be within the recommended guidelines for calories, fat, salt, and sugar.
Actually I don't think anyone has been unpleasant, some just disgree with you and frankly don't think your idea is a good one or needed.

Very easy to ask your serving person what items on the menu are low salt.
easy...one .two.... three..

I see no reson for a list .

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I agree with this. Very well said. The responsibility definitely lies on you, the person with dietary restrictions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum
I'm sure everyone who has one kind of dietary restriction or another would like the same thing. But do you honestly expect Disney to do this for everyone?. A list for low sodium. A list for gluten free. A list for diabetics. A list for high potassium. A list for low carb. A list for high protein. A list for those allergic to nuts. A list for........... see the problem? You are the one with the restriction. It's your job to let Disney know what that restriction is when you have a TS ADR. And it's your job to do look at menus in advance if necessary. And it's your job to ask for the ingredient book if necessary at the CS spots. Disney already goes above and beyond what most other theme parks do. They cannot possibly cater to every possible dietary restriction out there.

I agree with this too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully
No one has been unpleasant and no one suggsted you are a prima donna. You are over reacting. As others have suggested, I feel it is your responsibility to research and seek the answers you need. There is a special dietary number that you can call. Perhaps they can help you.
I wonder, as a chef, did you even care for this topic before it affected you personally.
I don't see the need for a list either. Just call Disney, and ask your server which items are low sodium.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

lets be respectful of other peoples posts...whether they are for or against this idea..
I have three dietary issues...diabetic, cholesterol, high pressure, but when I go to Disney I try to eat good but not that good...I love to have my yearly chicken fingers and french fries.(and other meals)..if I am naughty one week thru out the year I think I am being pretty good.....
I just make sure I am not having any blood tests right after the visit to the mouse...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

OP, I was on medically restricted low sodium diet for a WDW trip, and happy to share my experiences. I hope it helps.

Flying Fish did a fantastic job. They went out of their way to be helpful. Showed me everything they were making (was seated in the bar near show kitchen). Did not use any pan or utensil that contacted other food. Basically made up special dish for me after asking my likes and dislikes. It was fun and felt salt safe. Probably needs to be at less busy time. But gold star to FF.

China sit down can make steamed veggies with sauce on the side. Kimonos sashimi (no soy sauce of course) and steamed rice worked well.

For CS, much harder. I chose to stick to fresh options where possible...fruit from stands, packaged snacks or food with labeling including looking in cases at DVC resort areas, and undressed salads. Sunshine Seasons at Epcot has enough choices, fruit cart in Harambe at AK, stands at MK in Liberty Square, fruit stand at studios on road to ToT and RnR.

Good luck!
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #23
shortchef
Mouseketeer

I called Disney because I knew it was up to me to find out about it. I was, and am, disappointed that they have no information of any kind regarding low sodium options. I still think that it would be great if they would offer any one of a number of info items to make it a little easier.

If anyone has had any feedback on restaurants where they were did well with low sodium options, please share. It will be much appreciated!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Wow, Helen, thank you so very much. That's a huge help!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I can kind of see the OP's point, and the other side as well.

If other restaurants can put nutritional information on their websites, I don't see why it would be such a big issue for Disney to do it for some of the more common elements of counter service dining. I'm sure they do a lot of bulk buying and if you get the same item at two different CS locations it's likely to be the same thing. I'm not saying provide information specifically about low salt or low fat diets, but have the info available so you can see how much salt, sugar, fat, etc., is in that sandwich before you order it.

Special items would be a different story, but if they just did, say, 20 of their most popular and widespread items, I'm sure it would be helpful to a lot of people. If they have some sort of "book" that addresses nutritional and ingredient content, then there's no reason that information can't be available online, "subject to change" of course.

Since TS restaurants can accommodate dietary requests, I don't think it's necessary or even practical (considering how often the menus change) to provide that info online.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #26
karice2
DIS Veteran

I clicked on this because I was very interested in trying to get some helpful responses. My dad has CHF and has to watch his sodium very closely.

I can't believe how mean spirited some of the responses were. Yes, if a person has a food issue then they are responsible for dealing with them. However, having nutritional information available on a website could potentially alleviate all the special requests because people would be armed with information.

It would certainly make dining planning easier and help people to make the best decision before they even get to the parks without overburdening the wait staff or chefs with special requests for every thing. My dad also has aphasia from a stroke so asking the wait staff for low sodium is almost impossible. However if the information were readily available we could go over the menu before we get there so that he can have a couple of options and point to what he wants on the menu. We do this for a lot of different restaurants and it works wonderfully. I don't like ordering for him like a child and he can speak enough to make his wishes known on some things. It also gives him some semblance of freedom if he wants to go off on his own to eat if he knows what his options are.

People who have dietary issues are not asking for the world to cater to them. They are just asking for the information to be made available so they can make the best choices without being a burden to people in the service industry. We know it is our problem (speaking for my dad) and want to live as normal a life as possible. Asking for help on a message board dedicated to restaurant dining should not garner a response that could qualify as rude.

Just think of all the time I would be saving if I knew what was low sodium so that I don't send the wait staff back to the chef 20 different times to ask questions about how everything is prepared. Wouldn't want to ruin anyone's Disney magic.

Sorry for the long post but my goodness if people can't be helpful then don't post.

May 2010 -POFQ September 2010 AKL-December 2010 Off-Site
May 2011 BWV- December 2011 Christmas Magic December 2012 Annual Christmas Trip April 2014 Friends and Family May 2014 Star Wars Weekend July 2014 Harambe Nights

I've eaten at 47 out of 240 restaurants at Walt Disney World (20%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 85 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (18%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 70 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (21%)
I've eaten at 7 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (39%)
I've eaten at 0 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (0%)
karice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #27
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Sounds like your dad has been through a lot but it also sounds like you have been a great support system for him. We are off to a good start on opening the door on the low sodium topic and others may yet chime in. I will follow up when I return in a couple months with more helpful info too.

I agree that it requires so much more time and effort for Disney and creates unnecessary complication for each individual to have to personally engage the host/ess, server, and chef to be able to have a low sodium meal. And it would not surprise me to learn that many of the ones who are (for whatever reason) quite opposed to adding any type of ease to ordering low sodium would be livid if they were seated near someone who was taking up that much time and attention!

I guess people are just change resistant or something. People were smoking everywhere long after the health consequences were well known and argued vehemently for the longest time that nothing should change. It must just take some people a long time to be ok with anything different, even if it requires but a small change or is a good change. Someone earlier in the thread was afraid they wouldn't be able to read the menu if there were too many labels on it!!! Someone else felt it is not a good idea to eat less sodium!! You don't even know what to say to such nonsense.

But good news, we now know that there is some great info out there and it's just a matter of pulling it together. Flying Fish and Nine Dragons can do a delicious low sodium meal and I will bet that there are others who do an especially good job too! I will call Disney again. For one thing, the rep I spoke with literally did not know where the options were better than another for a low sodium meal and I think they should know that. I never would have considered a Chinese restaurant as a good option and I would love that! A blurb to the special dietary section of their website requires very little time and effort and would be of such help to so many. A simple sentence such as: low sodium meals are available at Flying Fish and Nine Dragons. I honestly do not know how anyone could object to that or why they would.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #28
karice2
DIS Veteran

ShortChef
Thanks for your kind reply. I never understand how a simple question for information can garner such mean answers. Before my dad got sick, I went through life completely oblivious to some of the challenges that people have for so many different food issues. I don't even have a food allergy.

Disney is wonderful at making accomodations for people with different complications but the assumption is that someone can ask a question. My dad dealing with aphasia and CHF has proven to me the benefit of having some information readily available.

What I believe is actually happening is that if they posted the nutrional information for some things, people would really balk. Salt makes food taste good, it also disguises inferior products and acts as a preservative. I am sure you know this as a chef but a lot of the public may not and would have a coronary if they knew that their favorite meal had upwards of 4000 mg of sodium. That could be why some people get swollen feet and legs on the trip but no one wants to say that.

I don't want to be the food police for the world. Like you I am just trying to ensure that our vacation is not marred by unexpected consequences of too much sodium.

I have found that V&A is amazing at dealing with food requests.

May 2010 -POFQ September 2010 AKL-December 2010 Off-Site
May 2011 BWV- December 2011 Christmas Magic December 2012 Annual Christmas Trip April 2014 Friends and Family May 2014 Star Wars Weekend July 2014 Harambe Nights

I've eaten at 47 out of 240 restaurants at Walt Disney World (20%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 85 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (18%)
I've eaten at 15 out of 70 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (21%)
I've eaten at 7 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (39%)
I've eaten at 0 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (0%)
karice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #29
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice2 View Post
ShortChef
Thanks for your kind reply. I never understand how a simple question for information can garner such mean answers. Before my dad got sick, I went through life completely oblivious to some of the challenges that people have for so many different food issues. I don't even have a food allergy.
I agree, there have been some mean spirited responses which are TOTALLY uncalled for and you know this question about low sodium IS a valid question despite what some people may think.

I do think that Disney is attempting, with the new site, to give more information about food with somewhat detailed menus and general dietary information and seeing how low sodium is a big issues for a lot of people I can understand wanting more information. It does seem to me from using the new site that there is an attempt there to improve things and I did feel that information about vegans and dairy free (which applies to me) and other dietary information were a bit easier to find. However, that might just be my experience.

I do think they need to continue to improve the information that they offer up front and no I do not feel that is out of bounds for dietary issues, including low sodium. Information is information and people have issues, common sense.

However according to the website "Most restaurants offer no sugar added, low fat, low sodium or vegetarian options." but again...you have to ask so obviously not the same thing.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #30
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Low sodium options are starting to show up here and there and will only continue to gain ground. If I can help to speed it up at Disney, I will try my best. Its inevitable, just like low fat awareness or smoking awareness. Meanwhile, I'll keep a record of info such as what an earlier poster shared about Flying Fish and Nine Dragons. The preference is to be able to order without the hoopla of involving what feels like half the staff and getting a visit from the chef! I know there are those that crave that much attention but most people just want some dinner

Will continue to seek feedback from others who can share a good low sodium meal or restaurant.

And as far as those who don't contribute much but to attack others, sad for them really, doesn't speak well for their self esteem. The problem is that they probably prevent some people from posting so we all lose out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: