Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
heidiot99
Earning My Ears

POR Standard Royal Room vs Standard Room

Is it worth the upgrade? Why?

2009 POFQ
2010 AKL
2013 POR

Last edited by heidiot99; 01-26-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added
heidiot99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Welcome to the Disboards.

Whether or not the upgrade is worth it or not is completely a matter of personal taste.

You can find some very good descriptions of the rooms and locations, and photos on the resort specific threads.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
heidiot99
Earning My Ears

I have read the descriptions but would like more feedback on what experienced POR people have seen 1st hand.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

1) I liked the decor.
2) The location - they're in the two buildings closest to the main building & food court. It's kind of like having a preferred room, but on the Manor side.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiot99 View Post
I have read the descriptions but would like more feedback on what experienced POR people have seen 1st hand.
Well, alrighty then. I don't like the decor. I think it's gimmicky unless you are blessed with a princess obsessed little girl. If I'm going to pay an upcharge, I would rather stay in one of the preferred buildings. #14, 15 and 18 are more convenient to the main building. Certainly much closer than if you are on the parkinglot side of Parterre Place.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiot99
I would start with reading the official POR thread. Tons of first hand reports/experiences there!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

I stayed at POR in a standard room in October, the other half of our group stayed in a RR, so I was back & forth between the rooms several times. While I didn't dislike the RR decor, I preferred the standard room decor more. Much more light & bright.

We requested our room to be in Magnolia Terrace so that we were in the building next to our friends in the RR, and one wasn't much closer to the bus or main area than the other. So for me, there's no reason to pay more for a RR.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Brownsfan317
Mouseketeer

We stayed in a Royal Room earlier this month. I cannot compare to a standard room, but we were happy with our choice. Enjoyed the location of our building, very quiet and beautiful scenery.

I went with DS12. He actually picked the room because he thought they looked like rooms we could not afford! LOL

In my opinion, if I did not stay in these rooms, it would not be the end of the world, but since the resort is a larger resort, I would at least select a preferred room.

View of one of the Royal Rooms building from the bridge to main building:

Our room -- enjoyed the fireworks on the headboard!:

Caribbean Beach/Yacht Club June 2013
Port Orleans Riverside January 2013
All Star Sports/AKL September/October 2011
Port Orleans French Quarter July 2009
Old Key West November 2006

Multiple trips starting in 1986-stayed off site at "Irene's Steakhouse" aka Best Grandparents in the World's Home!
Brownsfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

We stayed in a royal room on the last night of our trip last year. For the first 9 nights of our trip we booked a garden view room. We ended up in an Alligator Bayou room in building 26. We thought the royal room was pretty, but DH and i both preferred our room in AB. Our Royal room was a standard view room and it was in Parterre Place near the back of the building so it seemed very far away. The furniture in the royal rooms seemed larger than the furniture in the other rooms which in turn made the room feel smaller. If I was going to pay for an upgraded room category, I would rather spend that money on a preferred room.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club, Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2015 POFQ

Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
heidiot99
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone...this was very helpful! TaraPA...I live near Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area...we are not far from you
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #11
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
2) The location - they're in the two buildings closest to the main building & food court. It's kind of like having a preferred room, but on the Manor side.
You might want to find a map of POR. I don't think the royal rooms are in the buildings closest to the food court. Those would be preferred rooms in AB, not royal rooms.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
nkereina
Wendy Darling

When we stay at POR, we just book a standard room. We have no kids so no interest in Royal Rooms. Royal Rooms are the furthest from the main building/food court/main pool - similar to the pirate rooms at CBR. They do this strategically because it spreads people across the resort. If someone wants a themed room, they will go for the theme room over the location most times. The Royal Rooms are in the mansion buildings Oak Manor and Parterre Place only. It's a decent walk to the main pool, but there is a quiet pool in between. And you do have to walk across the bridge and up the path to the food court. Not an ideal location, IMO. Far from being like a preferred room.

When we had standard rooms, we stayed first time in Magnolia Terrace and second time in Acadian House. Both were great.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
shenaniganzz
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a Royal Room on our last trip and, fwiw -

- Our 4 y.o enjoyed the headboard for all of about half an hour the first day and then barely touched it again for the duration of our trip.

- She loved the note Tiana left and still talks about it to this day.

- The decor was nice - I didn't think it was any better or worse than CSR. The rest of the rooms at POR didn't really appeal to us.

- As a PP stated, Oak Manor isn't close to the main building, feature pool at all. It's a bit of a trek and made it a pain when the kids wanted a snack or to get a drink, etc. - especially after a long day in the parks.

We wouldn't stay at POR again for many other reasons, but if the Royal Rooms were at another resort, I am not sure I would pay the premium a second time to stay in them.
shenaniganzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminnie View Post
You might want to find a map of POR. I don't think the royal rooms are in the buildings closest to the food court. Those would be preferred rooms in AB, not royal rooms.
Sorry if I was unclear - I meant the closest Manors to the food court.

My problem is, contrary to the other posters on this thread, that I don't like AB at all, so I would never book a preferred room. The only way to guarantee a Manor room, and a closer one at that, is to book a Royal room.

I wish one of the Manors were preferred.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
KELLY
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you asked this question.After looking at the royal rooms and the standard rooms. I think standard room look just as nice. Plus we are going for 14 nights so the upgrade is another 500.00.

Many Trips the past 7 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 9 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: