Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #61
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I have seen people on these boards and others talk about how they have to stay in a room with Queen beds and can't do Double beds. They need the extra room a Queen bed provides.

But a Queen bed is only 6 inches wider than a double. For 2 ppl sleeping in the bed that means each person only has 3 extra inches of bed from the Double to the Queen.

SO I ask you, does it really matter or is it all a mental thing needing the Queen beds because in your mind you feel it is much bigger?
It is not only 6 inches. That is way too simplistic.

As a previous poster noted:

A full size bed measures 54"x75" or 4050 square inches.

A queen size bed measures 60"x80" or 4800 square inches.

So, in a queen, you are actually getting an additional 750 square inches. 750 is a bit more than 6 extra inches. And 750 square inches makes quite a bit of difference.

The first thing I do before I book a hotel room is check the bed sizes. If it is anything less than a queen, we either either book elsewhere or if the kids are with us, we will make sure we have a king room and a double room. And no, it is not just in my mind. We are very uncomfortable in full size beds.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #62
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Why need singles? Maybe they like sharing a bed but want some space also. Twins are shorter also.
True.
Been married for over 30 years and have been sleeping in a queen that long.
Prior to that, I had a twin, and it took me some time to adapt to not having my feet hanging off the end of the bed when I got married.
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #63
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
Doesn't sound like much but it DOES make a BIG difference.
I can definitely tell the difference. I was helping my daughter put the bed sheet on her full size bed. I just laid there for a minute and I can tell the difference from my queen size bed. I'm very petite, but I love the luxury of a bigger space to roll.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04

Last edited by *Fantasia*; 01-26-2013 at 12:12 AM.
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #64
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

No. I definitely was not being confrontational. I was just curious about a subject. But you can never have any topic on here without someone getting defensive or nasty and talking trash. I expect it after reading on these boards for a long time.

But for those of you who genuinely answered my question I appreciate all your responses.

I see it really does matter to some people, and others couldn't care less.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #65
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Simply put, if it didn't matter, they wouldn't make different sizes.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #66
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

I think it depends greatly on how tall/wide you are.

DH is 6'5. He hangs off the end of a double so he lays sideways. Which means we can't sleep in the same bed.

If we have to do a double/double, we each sleep in our own bed - which isn't ideal. We've stopped staying at our inlaws because all they have is a double in the guest room
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #67
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimeedyan
I think it depends greatly on how tall/wide you are.

DH is 6'5. He hangs off the end of a double so he lays sideways. Which means we can't sleep in the same bed.

If we have to do a double/double, we each sleep in our own bed - which isn't ideal. We've stopped staying at our inlaws because all they have is a double in the guest room
Lol, I always think it will be kind if nice when we stay somewhere with just doubles in the room. For about 2 nights I love having a bed not torn up and space of my own.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #68
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirlz View Post
Simply put, if it didn't matter, they wouldn't make different sizes.
Well there is a BIG difference from a twin to a double. There is almost no difference from a double to a Queen. Then there is a huge difference between a Queen and a King. SO in most cases different bed sizes does make a difference, but getting a bed that is 6 inches wider is not really a difference.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #69
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12

Well there is a BIG difference from a twin to a double. There is almost no difference from a double to a Queen. Then there is a huge difference between a Queen and a King. SO in most cases different bed sizes does make a difference, but getting a bed that is 6 inches wider is not really a difference.
And 5" longer. Don't know why you refuse to acknowledge that.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #70
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Whoa has a thread about bed sizes really turned into a heated debate?!? Lol
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #71
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
750 square inches is a big difference.

At first I agreed that you were just curious on why people preferred a queen bed, but now that you keep arguing that there is no difference and refuse to acknowledge the length difference, I am reassessing how I read your first post.

I do now believe those that said you were a bit condescending, and continue to be, of those that state that they genuinely are uncomfortable in a full bed.

You have trouble believing it, keep saying it is not really a difference and have insinuated it is all in people's heads.

I guarantee you it is not in my head. There is a BIG difference between a full and a queen, whether you want to believe it or not.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #72
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
I have seen people on these boards and others talk about how they have to stay in a room with Queen beds and can't do Double beds. They need the extra room a Queen bed provides.

But a Queen bed is only 6 inches wider than a double. For 2 ppl sleeping in the bed that means each person only has 3 extra inches of bed from the Double to the Queen.

SO I ask you, does it really matter or is it all a mental thing needing the Queen beds because in your mind you feel it is much bigger?
For me I can't sleep in a bed with someone is less than a queen because I'm a restless sleeper. If you touch me while I"m sleeping...I'm now awake, and that happens everytime they touch me. Also I'm what you call a sleep heater. My body tempature rises when I sleep so anyone touching me means sweat.

6 inches means a lot under those circumstances.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #73
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12

Actually it is if you want that 6 inches in width to stay to your own side when hit flashing at 2:am. Perhaps you have never slept with someone who radiates heat or radiates it. When we lived in our first apartment we had no ac. Yikes it could get hit in that bedroom about a dozen nights a year.

And perhaps you are short or don't care if your feet hand off the bed. My husband is tall and does care.

So just because it doesn't affect you doesn't me it doesn't affect others. Not a difficult concept, I'd think!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #74
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I will say that I am amazed at the folks that need a big bed because their SO bothers them when they sleep, get 2 singles like in the I Love Lucy or Dick Van Dyke Shows, not a king, if that's the case.
Haha, I sleep alone and still need that Queen. I cannot sleep in a twin. I COULD do a double, but much prefer a Queen.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker

Currently reading: #26 Rainshadow Road

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: