Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post

Most recently I was at Paradise Pier at Disneyland and the room wasn't ready. The valet people are like "we'll take your bags! go enjoy the parks!" We gave them the bags.. they sat on a cart in the middle of the lobby. My friends were like "Let's go to Disneyland!" and I was like..

"No."

And I stood there and death-glared at the little person at the luggage desk for a good 20 mins while my friends shopped in the store and got a bite to eat from the quick-service place. Then, after about 20mins or so, the little person at the desk took my bag and locked it in a numbered cage in the luggage room. He had left the podium several times, gotten other people's luggage, and left our bags entirely unattended. I had stayed within eyeshot though and was giving him the death glare at every chance.
Most of the time, if you simply just ask nicely that the things be moved in a timely manner, it will get done. My guess is that it would get done faster than by giving "death-glares."
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

This definitely seems like one of those "depends how you look at it" situations. The bright side is that you were compensated.

I tend to be wary of these services, as luggage is often left unattended for a bit during busy times. We always make sure we carry our valuables, and we wait around until the luggage is moved to a secure place.

I assume you are still in Disney. There is still time for your faith to be restored!!!
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #18
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
And I stood there and death-glared at the little person at the luggage desk for a good 20 mins while my friends shopped in the store and got a bite to eat from the quick-service place.
So, you really think the dreaded "death glare" worked? You spent 20 minutes GLARING at someone?? Trust me, the death glare never works. If anything, it will get you worse service.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

The point was to imply that it's your stuff, your responsibility, and the people who work there don't necessarily give two craps about what happens to your luggage.

Heck, we have some admitting they'd give worse service intentionally - you know, things that would get them terminated if their employer found out.

So no, I don't think my death glare was even noticed, but my luggage also wasn't just left sitting alone in the middle of the busy lobby for a long time because I watched it until the "little person" did their job the way they were supposed to a full 20 minutes prior.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

And the same folks who say not to take it so seriously are the same ones who'd post here all up in arms the moment something goes missing from their luggage.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And the same folks who say not to take it so seriously are the same ones who'd post here all up in arms the moment something goes missing from their luggage.
At least they were compensated, which does not always happen.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Question little person at luggage

Quote:
The point was to imply that it's your stuff, your responsibility, and the people who work there don't necessarily give two craps about what happens to your luggage.

Heck, we have some admitting they'd give worse service intentionally - you know, things that would get them terminated if their employer found out.

So no, I don't think my death glare was even noticed, but my luggage also wasn't just left sitting alone in the middle of the busy lobby for a long time because I watched it until the "little person" did their job the way they were supposed to a full 20 minutes prior.
Ok several times you refer to the 'little person' are you describing the persons physical trait? If so totally unecessary to what you are relating & quite honestly awful OR 'little person' as in beneath your status in life Maybe you're just trying to be snarky its coming across as the west end of an eastbound horse perhaps you are unaware

Last edited by Luvchefmic; 01-26-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

I tend to be very cautious with my things. I'm probably overly cautious at times, but I guess growing up with a police officer dad has made me suspicious of everything! We carry our own luggage whenever possible. We only hand it over to valets when we absolutely have to. I know the odds of something going missing are relatively low, but stories like this make me want to be even more vigilant.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #24
Kaspar Houser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
No ,simply no. I am fully responsible for my own luggage. I take care of it and make sure it is in safe hands.
Normal suitcases? Who cares? If someone like my undies go ahead and use them ( I buy new ones for every trip )
Valuable things like my iPad or lap top?
Granted we stay concierge so I go to the desk in my resort. Hand them the suitcase and I get a special written tag. The suitcases goes into a locked room and I have no worries what so ever.
Kaspar Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
Ok several times you refer to the 'little person' are you describing the persons physical trait? If so totally unecessary to what you are relating & quite honestly awful OR 'little person' as in beneath your status in life Maybe you're just trying to be snarky its coming across as the west end of an eastbound horse perhaps you are unaware
I too was baffled by the "little person" comments.
disneyfantotheend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #26
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel5884 View Post
I felt like a fool for not holding that bag along with my pocketbook. .
1st, sorry.

2nd, you said it, you should have kept any "valuables" with you just in case.

3rd, technically, you were not "robbed". that implies someone confronted you and forced you to give them something. You had something stolen. It could have been a cars employee, it could have been a Disney employee, depending on where the cart was left, it could have been a guest.

Lesson learned here, don't give the valet anything that will temp them to steal.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #27
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel5884
So we decided to rent a car in november for the first time. When we pulled into the resort the valet asked if we needed assistance, my husband said no but I said yes since we had grocery bags with us as well as luggage. Well I put this plastic bag from a store in the airport on the hook along with all our bags. The valet had taken my pocketbook out and put it on the cart, but I didn't feel comfortable with that so I took it off. Anyhow we get to the room and we call to have the luggage brought up. It was really late by then so we left to get dinner, and when we got back i passed out. In the morning I asked my husband to get my plastic bag I had gotten from the airport. It was gone. I totally lost it bc our disney gift cards were in there. Checked the room like 5 times and the car. Somewhere between the valet storing the cart to the bellman bringing it, it dissappeared. There was a yankee hat in the bag that I had bought from the airport so my husband thinks they grabbed the hat and threw the bag out. Since I had a bunch of magazines in there I am assuming that the cards were mixed in with the magazines so they did not see the gift cards. Here is the real kicker, the valets are subcontracted so they are not Disney employees. So the manager tells us to get in touch with "cars" the valet company since we were not sure exactly when the bag was taken. Cars tells us to get in touch with the hotel manager, catch 22. I had receipts for some of them so we needed to drive to target to get them replaced. We eventually got compensation from the hotel manager. But a whole day was wasted and my expectations and any any admiration I had for disney was gone. As a true disney fanatic and dvc and annual passholder i was absolutely crushed. I felt like a fool for not holding that bag along with my pocketbook. I would normally carry the cards in my little travel pouch that I got from Liberty travel but they had fallen out of there and I quickly threw them in the bag I had gotten at the airport. I just never thought in a million years that I would have to worry about that. Just so you know most of the valets on property are subcontracted and do not go through any backround check like the disney employees do. What really sucks is that I suffer from manic depression and I go to Florida to revitalize myself. I can tell you I think that is the most depressing trip of my life. Between being robbed and the hotel manager blowing us off at first I feel so betrayed by everything that Disney stands for. So keep an eye on your stuff if you use valet. I'm not talking suitcases but plastic food or merchandise bags. I thank god that I took my pocketbook off of the hook bc it could have been worse.
Why were the gift cards in their instead of your purse?? Even with your excuse of oh they fell out so I quickly threw them in that bag, you knew they were taking that bag so why wouldn't you grab them out. I use bell hop valet all the time at Disney and I am never rushed to where u can't move stuff and make sure I have important stuff with me.
lililoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

Surprised Disney comped you for he said she said.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword

So, you really think the dreaded "death glare" worked? You spent 20 minutes GLARING at someone?? Trust me, the death glare never works. If anything, it will get you worse service.
This exactly!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

I don't care if they are subcontracted or not, you were violated and I'm sure that was awful. We are Disney lovers and tend to defend the company. You were violated. It sucks and I am really sorry that happened to you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: