Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #151
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Yes for all 4 children!

No side effects. Why suffer when there is an option? no regrets.
I did not suffer with no epidural. My pain was very controlled with breathing. My longest pushing was under 20 minutes with #1... I pushed once for #4 and he was out. They tried to get me to stop mid push so I wouldn't tear with him but there was no holding that back.. #2 & #3 were 2 pushes... KEGELS HELP!!! DO YOUR KEGELS pregnant people!!!! The more you can control down the better!!

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #152
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4me View Post
Same here for me! I had 3 babies. The first 2 no epidural the last one with an epidural. My recovery from the last was much longer. I wonder if it would have been a faster recovery if I opted not to have the epidural.
Mine was with the third, too, and I've always assumed recovery would have been just like the first two without the epidural. I had to work so much harder pushing that my arms and chest were sore. It was almost like I was working against my labor.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #153
Footnotegirl
Mouseketeer

Nope. Had to do an induction a week and a half overdue. No epidural, no other pain killers. The idea of having a needle anywhere near my spine and not being able to get up and move around easily freaks me out way more than ANY amount of pain would.
Footnotegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #154
disykat
DIS Veteran

Yes with both.

The first one I finally caved 27 hours in, 11 of which had been constant pitocin contractions. The nurses told me they were placing bets how long I'd make it and I outlasted them all. I wish they'd told me that because I was holding out so wouldn't think I was a wimp! I ended up with a c-section at hour 36.

For the second I had a 12 hour trial labor for a VBAC. They did my epidural at that point before taking me in to surgery.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #155
SLP958
DIS Veteran

Yes, I still think it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #156
Tink-aholic
DIS Veteran

I didn't because my providers told me that the Apgar scores of babies born with epidurals are usually lower than those of those born without. There have since been lots of conflicting studies, but I spend a lot of time on a Labor and Delivery floor every day and I can tell you that that is still the general consensus in my particular hospital.

I've seen the nurses tell the patients that it is fine and normal and okay to have a drugs...and then call them selfish behind their backs.
Tink-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #157
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-aholic View Post
I didn't because my providers told me that the Apgar scores of babies born with epidurals are usually lower than those of those born without. There have since been lots of conflicting studies, but I spend a lot of time on a Labor and Delivery floor every day and I can tell you that that is still the general consensus in my particular hospital.

I've seen the nurses tell the patients that it is fine and normal and okay to have a drugs...and then call them selfish behind their backs.
Those nurses are definitely in the wrong profession then. The last time I checked there were no *medals* being given out for those that were able (or just wanted to) have their babies with no anesthesia. Some mothers act like you're a wimp to need something for pain - well, I know that some have much easier deliveries than others. I had one SIL that had 4 children, and they just literally slipped out. Someone like that can in no way understand what a *very* painful hard delivery is like.

It's a *choice* - no right or wrong. Everyone should be able to do what they feel is best for them, with no judging on either side. My three babies all had high Apgar scores. The epidural didn't affect that with them. We were all happy and healthy and that's all that matters.

Are you a delivery nurse? How would you have seen/heard that? I would love to know when a nurse would say something like that - would definitely have a word with her supervisor!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #158
Hardy
Mouseketeer

I didn't either time. My first I was induced and he was born two hours later, very quick labor. It was good that I had prepared to not get one, bc there wouldn't have been time. My second, I wanted to be natural as possible labor was only really painful for the last hour, pretty quick as well, in fact she was born 5 minutes after the nurse claimed I was at 8. Needless to say the doctor didn't make it.

Pop Century/Wilderness Lodge/Boardwalk Villas - June 2013
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) August 2012
Old Key West - August 2011
Beach Club Villas - January 2011
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and our 1st visit to Hogwarts! - October 2010
All Star Music/Saratoga Springs/Pop Century - March 2009
Caribbean Beach - October 2008
Port Orleans Riverside - October 2005
Offsite as a kid (what were my parents thinking?)
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #159
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Those nurses are definitely in the wrong profession then. The last time I checked there were no *medals* being given out for those that were able (or just wanted to) have their babies with no anesthesia. Some mothers act like you're a wimp to need something for pain - well, I know that some have much easier deliveries than others. I had one SIL that had 4 children, and they just literally slipped out. Someone like that can in no way understand what a *very* painful hard delivery is like.

It's a *choice* - no right or wrong. Everyone should be able to do what they feel is best for them, with no judging on either side. My three babies all had high Apgar scores. The epidural didn't affect that with them. We were all happy and healthy and that's all that matters.

Are you a delivery nurse? How would you have seen/heard that? I would love to know when a nurse would say something like that - would definitely have a word with her supervisor!

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #160
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4me View Post
Same here for me! I had 3 babies. The first 2 no epidural the last one with an epidural. My recovery from the last was much longer. I wonder if it would have been a faster recovery if I opted not to have the epidural.
i had an epidural with all three of my children. and i experienced three completely different recoveries!

first was a long time of pushing. they had to vacuum her out (and i had an episiotomy). that recovery was tough.

second was a quick three pushes. he was a pound smaller than his sister and i did not have an episiotomy (or tear).

third was a c-section. recovery for that one was the worst.

my recoveries had more to do with the actual delivery than with the epidurals.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #161
Tink-aholic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post

So nurses can't have opinions? They have seen far more deliveries than the average person, and I relayed their thoughts. I also respected the doctor, midwife, and pediatrician who advised me against it.

Why are you taking it so personally?
Tink-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #162
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

Everybody's pain level is different and every labor is different. My friend who had two children had to ask me what contractions felt like. My contractions with my first were through the roof! That epidural couldn't come fast enough. My second was different and they gave me pitocin and epidural to speed things along.

Each mom needs to make the decision that makes the most sense for their situation. There isn't one right way of doing it.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #163
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
So nurses can't have opinions? They have seen far more deliveries than the average person, and I relayed their thoughts. I also respected the doctor, midwife, and pediatrician who advised me against it.

Why are you taking it so personally?
It didn't sound like, from the way you posted, that it was an opinion later, after the fact (or even in general). Sounded like it was a direct slam at certain person at the time of the delivery. Also, because you said you *saw/heard* this that maybe you are a nurse, and was near she/him there at the time. This would have been totally out of line, not like an opinion later among friends/whoever.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but no one should presume to know what types pain meds others may need for any type delivery. Our bodies/delivery situations are all different, and we should all be respectful of others needs. I also hold delivery room nurses to a higher standard in that regard, or they shouldn't be there.

So, yes, I take it personally, for myself and others that may have had a rough time, because it's a common misconception among some women that have had easy natural deliveries, to look on those that take meds as wimps (this last is NOT directed at you - but I've heard this many times in general).
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #164
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

After 18 hours of labor, my daughter would not move down the birth canal. My blood pressure was very high. The doctor decided to do a c-section. They put in an epidural rather than use general anesthesia. I was wonderful. Instant relief for me and I was able to be awake for my daughter's birth.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #165
7165red
DIS Veteran

I had 3 for back pain.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: