Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
MyPrinceWillCome
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 99

Asking for an upgrade... rude?

Hi All,
Been lurking the boards for awhile and this is my first post! Been going to Disney yearly since 1988!

This year my brother and I are splurging to take my mother on a trip for her birthday, in early May. Her "bucket list" hotel is the Grand Floridian, so that's where we'll be staying. I want this to be the trip of a lifetime for her - she has had a rough year... breast cancer, lumpectomy, chemotherapy, etc. and she needs something fun to look forward to.

Once, when she and I had stayed at the Boardwalk several years ago, she casually asked if an upgrade was available. We ended up getting a great room on the concierge level, overlooking the Boardwalk (right over Spoodles! Or where Spoodles used to be!)

I'd love to get some kind of upgrade at the GF, if possible. Since the rooms are so pricey, we're doing the basic garden view. I'd like to ask at check in if an upgrade it possible. I don't want to play the cancer card, but if I mentioned it was her birthday, do you think that would help my chances? I don't want to come across as feeling entitled or being rude. It would just be AMAZING if it would be possible on this trip.

Any tips for increasing my chances of an upgrade? Or is this something I shouldn't even attempt?

Thanks!
MyPrinceWillCome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 11,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrinceWillCome View Post
Hi All,
Been lurking the boards for awhile and this is my first post! Been going to Disney yearly since 1988!

This year my brother and I are splurging to take my mother on a trip for her birthday, in early May. Her "bucket list" hotel is the Grand Floridian, so that's where we'll be staying. I want this to be the trip of a lifetime for her - she has had a rough year... breast cancer, lumpectomy, chemotherapy, etc. and she needs something fun to look forward to.

Once, when she and I had stayed at the Boardwalk several years ago, she casually asked if an upgrade was available. We ended up getting a great room on the concierge level, overlooking the Boardwalk (right over Spoodles! Or where Spoodles used to be!)

I'd love to get some kind of upgrade at the GF, if possible. Since the rooms are so pricey, we're doing the basic garden view. I'd like to ask at check in if an upgrade it possible. I don't want to play the cancer card, but if I mentioned it was her birthday, do you think that would help my chances? I don't want to come across as feeling entitled or being rude. It would just be AMAZING if it would be possible on this trip.

Any tips for increasing my chances of an upgrade? Or is this something I shouldn't even attempt?

Thanks!
First, I want to say how wonderful you and your brother are for doing this for your mom! She's a lucky lady and it sounds like she's been through a lot. Hope she powers through it all and gets back to 100%.

In regards to upgrades, you can ask. The worst that could happen is that they say no, or expect you to pay for the upgrade.

In reality, Disney mostly only upgrades because they HAVE to...like with a room inventory issue, over bookings, etc....

So, if you won't be embarrassed (I would be mortified, so I couldn't do it, I just book the room I want) if they say no or ask you to pay the difference, you can go for it but be prepared that it probably won't happen. Good luck!
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DS Due 1/12/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans
 
ThreeBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 813

Not rude at all! You can certainly always ask, and they won't be offended. Usually the answer is no, but I've gotten upgrades before. (not in Disney, but in other very nice hotels.)
__________________
1991, 1997, 1998, 2003, 20011, 20011
2013: Apr 30-May 8 with all FOUR kids, 8,7, 5 and 1 :-) OKW

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
lililoo12
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 334

I have had many celebrations on my reservation and only once got pixie dust. I never ask for an upgrade unless I plan on paying for it. Cm's have said the best way not to get an upgrade is to ask for one. Disney usually only upgrades rooms when it benefits them. Pay for the room you want so you are not disappointed.
lililoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
MyPrinceWillCome
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lililoo12 View Post
I have had many celebrations on my reservation and only once got pixie dust. I never ask for an upgrade unless I plan on paying for it. Cm's have said the best way not to get an upgrade is to ask for one. Disney usually only upgrades rooms when it benefits them. Pay for the room you want so you are not disappointed.
I won't be disappointed if we're not upgraded, I just think it would be wonderful if we could be. Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to book the room I'd like, I'm splurging as it is on a basic room. So an upgrade would be great, but it is definitely not expected. Just was wondering if there was any way to maximize my chances.

The only time I've ever actually got "pixie dust" at a resort was when we asked for it that time at Boardwalk! But maybe that was a rare thing.
MyPrinceWillCome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
MyPrinceWillCome
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
First, I want to say how wonderful you and your brother are for doing this for your mom! She's a lucky lady and it sounds like she's been through a lot. Hope she powers through it all and gets back to 100%.

In regards to upgrades, you can ask. The worst that could happen is that they say no, or expect you to pay for the upgrade.

In reality, Disney mostly only upgrades because they HAVE to...like with a room inventory issue, over bookings, etc....

So, if you won't be embarrassed (I would be mortified, so I couldn't do it, I just book the room I want) if they say no or ask you to pay the difference, you can go for it but be prepared that it probably won't happen. Good luck!
Thanks! It would actually have to be my brother doing the asking since he'll be arriving and checking in before us. Haha.

Ok, well in the (likely) event that the upgrade isn't possible, anyone have a suggestion for a building we should request? Being near a pool isn't important, but we like to be near the main building.
MyPrinceWillCome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,913

If you want a special room/location, pay for it. Don't ask for an updgrade because you won't get one.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
wolf29
DIS Veteran
 
wolf29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St John USVI
Posts: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
If you want a special room/location, pay for it. Don't ask for an updgrade because you won't get one.
What is the harm in asking? It does happen on occasion, so unless the OP is going to be crushed by a "No" I would go ahead and ask. If someone really wants an upgrade then they should ask while being prepared to pay, but it never hurts to ask.
__________________
wolf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,773

My personal opinion is that asking for an upgrade puts the CM at the front desk in an uncomfortable position, and therefore, I don't do it. Is there harm in asking? Not really. I do think it sours the flavor of the interaction when the CM has to find a polite way to say to no... and they have no idea you aren't someone that is going to get irritated with being told no.

There are a few CMs on the board that have blatantly stated that they won't upgrade someone if they ask.

I think it's great you're taking your mother, and she'll be elated with any room at the GF I'm sure. I don't think the situation in particular is unique in Disney though. Lots of birthdays, lots of triumph trips, etc each day.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
MyPrinceWillCome
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
If you want a special room/location, pay for it. Don't ask for an updgrade because you won't get one.
Well... my mother did ask once before (at the Boardwalk, as I stated in my original post) and we got one. So it does happen. Maybe we got lucky, but it happens.
MyPrinceWillCome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrinceWillCome View Post
Ok, well in the (likely) event that the upgrade isn't possible, anyone have a suggestion for a building we should request? Being near a pool isn't important, but we like to be near the main building.
As others have said, it never hurts to ask, but asking for one is usually a sure way of not getting one or getting a price for what it would cost to upgrade. As far as a building to request, I don't think the GF is that spread out, so everything (to me) is pretty convenient. With that said, we had a GV in Big Pine Key and I liked the location. It's right next to the courtyard pool, but is also close to the main building, Gasparilla's, or anywhere else. Good luck and I hope you have a magical trip .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
MyPrinceWillCome
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
As others have said, it never hurts to ask, but asking for one is usually a sure way of not getting one or getting a price for what it would cost to upgrade. As far as a building to request, I don't think the GF is that spread out, so everything (to me) is pretty convenient. With that said, we had a GV in Big Pine Key and I liked the location. It's right next to the courtyard pool, but is also close to the main building, Gasparilla's, or anywhere else. Good luck and I hope you have a magical trip .
Thanks! Maybe I will just have my brother question what an upgrade would cost. Maybe we'll get lucky. And if not, I'm sure it will still be a great trip.
MyPrinceWillCome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPrinceWillCome View Post
Thanks! Maybe I will just have my brother question what an upgrade would cost. Maybe we'll get lucky. And if not, I'm sure it will still be a great trip.
I agree.....with or without an upgrade, you will still have a fabulous trip as the GF is a beautiful resort and a great place to stay .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
wolf29
DIS Veteran
 
wolf29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St John USVI
Posts: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
My personal opinion is that asking for an upgrade puts the CM at the front desk in an uncomfortable position, and therefore, I don't do it. Is there harm in asking? Not really. I do think it sours the flavor of the interaction when the CM has to find a polite way to say to no... and they have no idea you aren't someone that is going to get irritated with being told no.

There are a few CMs on the board that have blatantly stated that they won't upgrade someone if they ask.

I think it's great you're taking your mother, and she'll be elated with any room at the GF I'm sure. I don't think the situation in particular is unique in Disney though. Lots of birthdays, lots of triumph trips, etc each day.
Any CM working the front desk should be comfortable enough handling this request. We all know that WDW guests have higher expectations than anywhere else, so their CMs should be well-traained to handle such a common request comfortably.
__________________
wolf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
mb187143
DIS Veteran
 
mb187143's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA suburbs
Posts: 689

We stayed at the Grand Floridian the night of our wedding (reception was held at the Grand Floridian) and we checked in after the reception. Literally standing at the desk in a tux ad a wedding gown. We got the room category we reserved (garden view). We didn't ask for or expect an upgrade at all.

We stayed in Sago Cay. It was glorious. It didn't matter one bit that it was garden view, the room was wonderful. The walk was short to the main building and there is a short cut by the convention center from that building to the bus stop. We loved every minute.
__________________
Me DH Finn



mb187143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.