DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencoe
Thanks so much for all your help!!! Ok, I have been checking the different sites for resale but was trying to clarify something.....
We want to go this summer to disney...if I buy resale and points are available can we use the points for a trip this summer?
I saw some posts that mentioned if you buy resale you can't vacation right away.
The resales I was looking at some seem to have points left over and points applied for this year too....
I am now really wanted resale because I can get so many more points for my money and that really will meet the needs of my family....

Thanks again you guys are great!!!
It takes about 6 weeks to buy and close on a resale and possibly a few weeks to get in the Disney system and have your points for use. So, in that resect, you can't make your reservation until that time. With a summer trip, you'd be only booking only a few months out, but if your flexible and have points from the resale contract available,,you'd be able to book based on availability.

With direct, you do get your points immediately, so booking can happen the next day. When we bought, we were in the same bought and ended up direct because we were able to take the $2000 we had planned to spend on our summer trip toward the DVC purchase. Of course, we wanted BLT and direct was the only option but the prices were below $100. Now, it would be so much harder to recommend direct, given the cost difference..

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #17
glencoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
IF there are points available to make a reservation on the contract you buy you can make a reservation right away, PENDING AVAILABILITY. If you make a offer right now, get it accepted, clear ROFR, close, get set up in the DVC system, the earliest you could hope to make reservations would be late March/ early April. At that point, (only 2-4 months out) there may be extremely limited availability. Not saying it is impossible, just that there are no guarantees. If there is availability, chances are it would be at SSR, which is a very nice resort, stayed there last year, so don't discount it right away.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Ok-this is what I am worried about....we want BLT or if I get enough points get a large villa for BCV, my older son is a junior in hs and I feel like we really need this years vacation...not sure where he will be off too next year. I teach and my boys play travel hockey...summer is our only time to vacation right now....I am concerned I will get a somewhat loaded contract so we CAN vaca. this summer and then not be able to and then some points expire....bummer, I thought I had this all figured out...is BLT or any of the resorts really hard to get into in mid august?

Thanks again!!!

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,
July 2006 Poly-family trip
Back to Poly! (Aug. 2011)
DVC Membership......... BLT

Celiac(17)(13)(10) (Pepper)(Mater)
glencoe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

You could always rent points for this years vacation. Take it as an opportunity to explore any of the DVC resorts you don't already know. Be sure you KNOW where you want to buy.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
glencoe
Mouseketeer

I want to start by saying thank you so much!!
Now my solution....we need to vacation this summer in august....this year I have no flexibilty. With that said, after the resale person and I talked (he was so wonderful by the way) it was basically understood, if I buy now with the points I want....available for this summer....I will most likely not get our choice property- we wont close till early april (even though I am not financing anything) and mostly everything we want will be taken.
It is a big deal for my family-so that being said, I decided to buy direct since I will get last years and this years points....allowing us to make ressies right away, securing my vacation. I am not buying what I want, but the bare minimum of what we need...then going resale to get my extra points at a later date.
I came to the conclusion that resale is such the way to go.....but only if you are flexible at that moment, I am not.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas...I have not made the phone call yet!

You guys were so helpful..now I have to go scrounge up a few thousand dollars to cover the difference for 50 LESS points through direct. Yes I am crazy, but trying to make the family happy is the goal!!!

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,

Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencoe View Post
I want to start by saying thank you so much!!
Now my solution....we need to vacation this summer in august....this year I have no flexibilty. With that said, after the resale person and I talked (he was so wonderful by the way) it was basically understood, if I buy now with the points I want....available for this summer....I will most likely not get our choice property- we wont close till early april (even though I am not financing anything) and mostly everything we want will be taken.
It is a big deal for my family-so that being said, I decided to buy direct since I will get last years and this years points....allowing us to make ressies right away, securing my vacation. I am not buying what I want, but the bare minimum of what we need...then going resale to get my extra points at a later date.
I came to the conclusion that resale is such the way to go.....but only if you are flexible at that moment, I am not.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas...I have not made the phone call yet!

You guys were so helpful..now I have to go scrounge up a few thousand dollars to cover the difference for 50 LESS points through direct. Yes I am crazy, but trying to make the family happy is the goal!!!
I completely understand your need for points now. However, if you do the math, you would still be WAY ahead buying resale and renting points for this year's trip. For example, you buy AKV resale for $60pp and pay $11pp to rent points for your trip. That's $71pp as opposed to $135. And, you still get your trip and the family is happy.

One other thing to point out, the fact that you get "this year's points and next year's points" by buying direct is nothing out of the ordinary. It's what they are legally obligated to give you. Also, many resale contracts also have two year's worth of points and there are quite a few that have three. I think that long term you are going to regret having less points than you need after spending more money than you were planning on spending. It's a big long term sacrifice for a short term gain that could easily be avoided by renting and buying an appropriate contract resale. Something to think about.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

If you need the points NOW and do not mind paying the premium price to get them, then direct purchase is a viable option. Going direct, the guide will probably be able to help you secure the reservation you want for this summer. That is one more plus for direct.

We all value our money differently, and we all have different times that we can be more or less flexible in our planning. If direct works for you at this time, then go for it. Happy planning.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I completely understand your need for points now. However, if you do the math, you would still be WAY ahead buying resale and renting points for this year's trip. For example, you buy AKV resale for $60pp and pay $11pp to rent points for your trip. That's $71pp as opposed to $135. And, you still get your trip and the family is happy.

One other thing to point out, the fact that you get "this year's points and next year's points" by buying direct is nothing out of the ordinary. It's what they are legally obligated to give you. Also, many resale contracts also have two year's worth of points and there are quite a few that have three. I think that long term you are going to regret having less points than you need after spending more money than you were planning on spending. It's a big long term sacrifice for a short term gain that could easily be avoided by renting and buying an appropriate contract resale. Something to think about.

I agree with ELMC (as I do most of the time) that renting this year and buying resale is the way to go. I'm going to assume that BLT is the resort you want to own since that is where you want to stay right now, so these are all BLT numbers, but the same method would work for looking at any other resort.

Renting: Use any of the brokers and book right now for $13/point.
Resale: $95/point should get you a contract
Total Renting + Resale = $108/point

Direct: $165/point

Difference between the two options is $57/point. With that $57/point difference you could almost buy another resale contract at SSR, thereby doubling your point.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
glencoe
Mouseketeer

yes that makes total sense....I have checked out the rental sites and the average is $12 per point....I am assuming by renting I can make my ressie right away?
If I buy resale now too, when I go on the trip in August would I be considered an owner or renter since I am using rented points? From reading there seem to be a few things renters don't get.

Also do DVC resale people get magical express too?

Thanks again!!!

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,

Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glencoe View Post
yes that makes total sense....I have checked out the rental sites and the average is $12 per point....I am assuming by renting I can make my ressie right away?
If I buy resale now too, when I go on the trip in August would I be considered an owner or renter since I am using rented points? From reading there seem to be a few things renters don't get.

Also do DVC resale people get magical express too?

Thanks again!!!
Yes, when you rent you make your reservation in real time. There are plenty of renters to choose from in the rent/trade board or you can choose one of the sponsors of this site, either The Timeshare Store or Daddio (David's vacation rentals). If you have your membership card you are considered to be an owner.

Out of curiosity...what is it that you think that renters don't get?

Both DVC resale owners and people who rent reservations are eligible for Disney's Magical Express. I book DME reservations for my renters all the time.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #25
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

One thing that owners get that renter do not is free video rentals from the community hall, all you have to do is show your member card to get the free rental. We've actually used that just about every trip.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #26
thptrek
DIS Veteran

Sure seems that renting is the way to go. I am in the process of buying a BLT and at the same time trying to schedule a summer vacation. I'm going to look into renting now and then reselling my points to the rental company to partially recoup. It wont be a complete wash but would be better than waiting till March to try to schedule.

New DVC Member 2013 (BLT) - First Trip Home March 14
thptrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #27
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thptrek View Post
sure seems that renting is the way to go. I am in the process of buying a blt and at the same time trying to schedule a summer vacation. I'm going to look into renting now and then reselling my points to the rental company to partially recoup. It wont be a complete wash but would be better than waiting till march to try to schedule.
this!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
sglfc81
Earning My Ears

Hi there, for those of you who have purchased resale...do you get an difference in service from Disney. Do they tend to stick their nose up at you since you didnt purchase from them? I would imagine though with disney they would treat you just like any other DVC member. Any bad experiences? Thanks!!

Scott
sglfc81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: