Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

Need Recommendations for TS for Young Children

My DNiece and her family (DH, DD3, DD1, DS1) are planning a trip to WDW this year. She asked me for some advice on TS meals. Unfortunately, we started going to WDW when our children were older, so we've never done a character meal. Where would you recommend they eat? They want to do character meals--at least one with Mickey and of course a princess meal. Also would you recommend breakfast, lunch, or dinner? If doing a breakfast, is it better to do early morning breakfast to get into the parks before opening or a late breakfast so it doesn't conflict with rope drope? Any advice is welcome!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
cathigh10
Earning My Ears

When we have done breakfasts at the parks we have always gone earlier so that we can be done before the park opens.

MK: Crystal Palace - Pooh Characters
AK: Tusker House - Mickey and Friends in safari clothes
E: If you have little girls I would do breakfast at Askerhus. You will be able to see some of the princesses

I am not sure about HS, because I haven't had a breakfast there before.

I know that a lot of people also really like Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary.

Good Luck!
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

AKL - Sanaa (only restaurant where you can view the animals while eating; eat there while it is light out and try to get a window table)
Contemporary - Chef Mickey's (breakfast characters are Micky, Goofy, Chip & Dale; for dinner characters are Micky, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and Donald)
GF - 1900 Park Fare (breakfast characters are Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, The Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland, and Mary Poppins; dinner characters are Cinderella, Prince Charming, Drizella, and Anastasia)
Epcot - Askershus Princess Meals (Snow White, Belle, Aurora, Jasmine, Mulan, and Mary Poppins) Via Napoli (best pizza on property) and Teppan Edo (they cook food right at the table)
MK - Breakfast before park opens at Crystal Palace
DHS - 50s Prime Time Cafe
AK - Rain Forest Cafe
DD - TREX

OUR 2013 DISNEYMOON TRIP REPORT
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

We love 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, Tusker House and especially love Akershus.

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

Thanks for the replies. I think they will be interested in CRT, 1900 Park Fare, Askershus, and maybe Tusker House. I know Tusker House has character only at breakfast. What about the others? If they have breakfast, lunch, and dinner, which would you recommend?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Tusker House has characters at both breakfast and lunch now. Folks really enjoy it.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

My kids' favorites are:

Crystal Palace breakfast (either before R or a late seating after you've spent a couple hours in the park is the way we prefer it.

Chef Mickey's dinner

They also have lied Whispering Canyon Cafe because there is a play table while you wait and activities for the kids throughout dinner. They like 'Ohana too for the activities but sometimes there is a long wait to be seated. The food is so good though that it may be worth it!

We have done all kinds of resturants with our little ones. The only ones they didn't like were Coral Reef because it was dark, and 50's Prime Time for some unknown reason (but it was that way twice.) It was lunchtime, maybe they were just too worn out. I think we do better with breakfasts or dinner (after a break.)

Sanaa was nice because you can watch the animals outside while you wait, however the restaurant is on the quieter side, so that can make patients anxious if the kids are loud (even if it's a happy loud.)

Unless the 3 year old is really into princesses I wouldn't bother with those restaurants.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
Tusker House has characters at both breakfast and lunch now. Folks really enjoy it.
This is good to know.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys View Post
My kids' favorites are:

Crystal Palace breakfast (either before R or a late seating after you've spent a couple hours in the park is the way we prefer it.

Chef Mickey's dinner

They also have lied Whispering Canyon Cafe because there is a play table while you wait and activities for the kids throughout dinner. They like 'Ohana too for the activities but sometimes there is a long wait to be seated. The food is so good though that it may be worth it!

We have done all kinds of resturants with our little ones. The only ones they didn't like were Coral Reef because it was dark, and 50's Prime Time for some unknown reason (but it was that way twice.) It was lunchtime, maybe they were just too worn out. I think we do better with breakfasts or dinner (after a break.)

Sanaa was nice because you can watch the animals outside while you wait, however the restaurant is on the quieter side, so that can make patients anxious if the kids are loud (even if it's a happy loud.)

Unless the 3 year old is really into princesses I wouldn't bother with those restaurants.
Thanks. I've eaten at all of these restaurants, except Chef Mickey and Crystal Palace. I am specifically needing to know about character meals. And yes, the 3-year-old is into princesses. That's the main goal of the trip--interaction with the characters, especially the princesses.

Last edited by DisneyStarWisher; 01-26-2013 at 11:00 AM.
DisneyStarWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
bbnursie
Mouseketeer

Must do Chef Mickeys for dinner. It is the only one that actually has Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald at one dinner.
Jan 2013-POR Jan 2014 AKL/VWL
bbnursie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
ktlm
DIS Veteran

As far as pre-park breakfasts with that age kids, it completely depends on whether the kids are morning people and what kind of time change they might be dealing with. My DD is not a morning person and we quickly found out when she was 2 that the pre-park opening breakfast was a very bad idea with her. You have to get up VERY early to factor in travel time, getting into the park, getting there etc. Hard to get them up for that and then they are just cranky. If she has all early riser kids, it might work.

I would recommend CRT and Tusker House. We have done Tusker House as a late breakfast (ride Safari first and then eat) as a right around rope drop breakfast (get into the park before rope drop and walk to the restaurant and then send a runner for Safari Fast Passes when the park opens), and at lunch. Lunch made it nice to be able to ride Safari and go see characters at Camp Minnie Mickey first, but the breakfast food at Tusker House is really good too. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Another great place for kids those ages is Biergarten in Epcot. They love watching the German Band, it keeps them entertained, and they can get out on the dance floor and burn off a little energy. The food is good too!
ktlm is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: