Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
FlowerMouse
1st time Disney cruiser

small questions

1. Can kids walk barefoot from my room to the pool?

2. Does my purse count as the one carry on item? Can i bring purse and backpack?

3. Do dinner menus changes at same restaurant? Ie. Will my first visit and second visit to triton include same food choices?

4. Do fitness/exercise classes cost extra?

5. Should i lock my suitcases or do they have to open for inspections?

6. My son has a strange allergy. Usually, only one eye gets really red. Sometimes both but not always. This is his only symptom. Every ones first thought is pink eye but its not. Any doctor would be able to know that just by looking. Should i bring a note from our dr? Or wait til to see if it happens and have ship dr confirm not contagious?

7. I saw kids can make crafts. Do i need to prepare for bringing home a lot of craft items?

8. I read on posts to bring a good camera. Bought one. Do you carry it with you everywhere? Or should i bring at special times only and use cell phone camera for unexpected moments?

Thanks so much for answers. This is our first time cruising.

Last edited by FlowerMouse; 01-25-2013 at 03:56 PM.
FlowerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

I'll do my best to answer your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerMouse View Post
1. Can kids walk barefoot from my room to the pool? They can but it would be safer having on flip flops at least. Think about all the dirt they are putting on their little feet and then sticking them in the pool.

2. Does my purse count as the one carry on item? Can i bring purse and backpack? You can carry on both without an issue.

3. Do dinner menus changes at same restaurant? Ie. Will my first visit and second visit to triton include same food choices? Different dinner menu every night of the cruise.

4. Do fitness/exercise classes cost extra?I try to stay far away from the gym so I'll leave that to someone else.

5. Should i lock my suitcases or do they have to open for inspections?We don't lock our suitcases but that's just us. We also drive to the port so that colors our decision.

6. My son has a strange allergy. Usually, only one eye gets really red. Sometimes both but not always. This is his only symptom. Every ones first thought is pink eye but its not. Any doctor would be able to know that just by looking. Should i bring a note from our dr? Or wait til to see if it happens and have ship dr confirm not contagious?No need to worry about it in my mind. If it happens and someone from DCL requests you see their dr. the note from your dr won't prevent that trip. Besides, not sure if your dr would be willing to write that note on the off chance that your son had picked up pink eye.

7. I saw kids can make crafts. Do i need to prepare for bringing home a lot of craft items?Nope. No worries.

8. I read on posts to bring a good camera. Bought one. Do you carry it with you everywhere? Or should i bring at special times only and use cell phone camera for unexpected moments?I always carry my camera but it's relatively small. It's up to you but remember that just because you are on a Disney Cruise means that everyone has your same values. Read the thread on the camera theft.

Thanks so much for answers. This is our first time cruising.
Enjoy your cruise and try to not stress too much!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I read on posts to bring a good camera. Bought one. Do you carry it with you everywhere? Or should i bring at special times only and use cell phone camera for unexpected moments?
Well MY question is...why would you have your cellphone on you? Unless you have deep pockets or an amazing cell plan, you're not going to be using it while on the ship, so why have it? (yes yes, I know that my iphone has a better camera than my Canon, sigh)

I have a camera strap that I wear cross-body, and it's almost certainly going to be with me nearly all the time.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Well MY question is...why would you have your cellphone on you? Unless you have deep pockets or an amazing cell plan, you're not going to be using it while on the ship, so why have it? (yes yes, I know that my iphone has a better camera than my Canon, sigh)
You already answered but i shall repeat:

Because my iPhone4S doubles as a great point and shoot camera!

It is small, already fits my pockets, has a protective case, it takes quicker and better photos than any other pocket camera I have ever had. Our nice camera is a mega zoom and isn't always easy to whip out and capture those random photo moments that pop up. The phone is.

Then there are the apps.. those alone will save us during long dinners with a 2 year old or waiting to board.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
MD Dad55
Earning My Ears

The fitness center is free

Looks like the only question not answered is the fitness center. The gym was open to all adults (18 y/o). It was great. It overlooked the bow and you got an awesome view while working out.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
2. Does my purse count as the one carry on item? Can i bring purse and backpack?

5. Should i lock my suitcases or do they have to open for inspections?
I assume these 2 items are regarding flying? If so, yes, you may bring both. Each passenger is allowed 2, including 1 "personal item" which may be a purse, briefcase, etc. There is no limit to number of carry-ons for the ship.

Again for flying...we use zip-ties on luggage. If TSA needs to access your checked baggage they will a) have a "universal" key that opens most suitcase locks, or b) break the lock. We have had times that checked luggage was opened and inspected, they will leave a note; we did find that they re-locked it with another zip-tie. On the ship, again for checked luggage going through security I assume they will open the bag if needed regardless of whether you lock it. Within your stateroom, we try to unpack the suitcases into the closet and drawers as it's really not convenient to "live out of the suitcase" in such a tight space; if you have something valuable that won't fit in the safe you might want to lock it into a suitcase under the bed.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
clarkie604
Earning My Ears

There is no reason to bring a "nice" camera at all if you aren't going to used its advanced/pro features. Your iPhone takes great pictures and you're used too it. The average user isn't going to get better pictures from a more expensive camera and may get worse because its less user friendly.
clarkie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
FlowerMouse
1st time Disney cruiser

I am only refering to the cruise and not flying. I have read by others and on disney site that you are limited to one carry on when you board. I will be driving to the port.

When i refer to nice camera, i mean one that zooms good but too large to carry in my pocket. I can carry cell in pocket but doesnt take great pictures. My new camera takes great action shots. Have used it at sons sport events already
FlowerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am only refering to the cruise and not flying. I have read by others and on disney site that you are limited to one carry on when you board. I will be driving to the port.

When i refer to nice camera, i mean one that zooms good but too large to carry in my pocket. I can carry cell in pocket but doesnt take great pictures. My new camera takes great action shots. Have used it at sons sport events already
You are not limited in numbers of carryons. Only in size, 22X14X9, as it must fit through the security scanner at the port. You can have as many as you want, as long as you realize you will be schlepping them around until your room is ready (usually about 1:30).

I have a Kodak point and shoot, about the size of a cell phone. It's been doing great pictures for about 5 cruises now. I take the overall shots, DH (with his fancy camera) does all the zoom shots.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: