Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #31
TrixieM
Earning My Ears

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
The problem becomes how many and which expressions of faith to provide clergy for. They walk a fine line between recognizing important days and offending those of other persuasions.
How could having a Mass possibly offend "those of other persuasions". I am grateful that Disney offers this for us.

Last edited by TrixieM; 01-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
TrixieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #32
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

You're right

Last edited by k3chantal; 01-25-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: correction
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #33
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I think we have a reading comprehension error here. No one said anything about persuading or making anyone do anything. What was said is that celebrating ONE type of religion and not the others could be offensive to those of other religious persuasions. That means offensive to folks belonging to other religions.

Lets all make sure we know what we're reading before hopping all over someone for it.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #34
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulFromMD View Post
On the 7-day Fantasy cruise we did last May, there was an "Interdenominational Service" on Sunday and Jewish Sabbath on Friday. From what I've heard, that's more the norm than lots of very specific religious services.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #35
TrixieM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post
I think we have a reading comprehension error here. No one said anything about persuading or making anyone do anything. What was said is that celebrating ONE type of religion and not the others could be offensive to those of other religious persuasions. That means offensive to folks belonging to other religions.

Lets all make sure we know what we're reading before hopping all over someone for it.
This was a typo not a reading error. I meant to quote the OP and say offend rather than persuade. Anyway, just curious what the OP meant. I still think the OP could be interpreted in multiple ways including yours and I certainly didn't mean to "hop over anyone". Let's give others the benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #36
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixieM

This was a typo not a reading error. I meant to quote the OP and say offend rather than persuade. Anyway, just curious what the OP meant. I still think the OP could be interpreted in multiple ways including yours and I certainly didn't mean to "hop over anyone". Let's give others the benefit of the doubt.
Thanks - you're typo was snowballing and another poster then moved on to persuading and making people go to mass - that could only have ended badly!

Back to the original question - I would prefer an interdenominational service, as a catholic mass isn't going to float my episcopal boat.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #37
MDTerp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
I'm curious, would anyone happen to know if Disney provides a non denominational Christian service for those who observe Ash Wednesday, and Easter but are not of the Catholic faith? (there are us Protestants after all, lol!)
Last year aboard the Dream, on Easter Sunday, there was a Christian service (pretty close to sunrise if I recall correctly) and Catholic Mass, a little later in the am. Friends of ours who we sailed with attended this service, and we attended Mass.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
September 2009 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
September 2010 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
July 2011 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Disney Magic
April 2012 - 5 Night Double Dip - Disney Dream
November 2012 - Bahamas - Disney Dream
March 2013 - Mexico/Castaway Cay - Disney Wonder
February 2014 - Bahamas - Disney Magic
October 2014 - 3-Day Repo Castaway Cay - Disney Magic
December 2014 - New Year's Eve - Bahamas - Disney Wonder

DVC Member Since 2007 - AKV, BLT and BWV
Trips to the World...2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2013
MDTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #38
penguins_fan
Mouseketeer

We have a Sunday departure in May and are staying at Hyatt MCO Sat night. Anyone know of a Catholic church near the airport for vigil Mass?
penguins_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #39
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_fan
We have a Sunday departure in May and are staying at Hyatt MCO Sat night. Anyone know of a Catholic church near the airport for vigil Mass?
If you go online Masstimes.com gives you this information throughout the US and if I remember right worldwide. We use it all the time when we travel. Sue
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #40
buckeyemom16
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_fan
The PP mentioned masstimes.org, even better there's a smartphone app for masstimes.org! We've successfully used it several times when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

RCI Jewel of the Seas 5/2014~WDW AKL/OKW 6/2013~DCL Fantasy 6/2012~CCL Freedom 8/2011~NCL Sky 7/2010~CCL Holiday 2/2008~WDW Off-Site 6/2007~CCL Pride 8/2002~CCL Triumph 10/2000

buckeyemom16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #41
TrixieM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post
Thanks - you're typo was snowballing and another poster then moved on to persuading and making people go to mass - that could only have ended badly!

Back to the original question - I would prefer an interdenominational service, as a catholic mass isn't going to float my episcopal boat.
From what I've heard, they offer both a Catholic Mass and a non-denominational Protestant service on Easter. Disney is very responsive and I'd be surprised if they didn't respond to passenger requests to the best of their ability.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #42
TrixieM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan920 View Post
Wow, I'm so glad to hear this, this is one of my concern for not having Mass for Easter Sunday since we are at sea and get to port in Florida on Monday.

Thank you so much for the infomation, I just booked my first DS for March 29 a week ago.(used to booked one when Disney just came to Galveston, I wanted for 18 months for Thanksgiving cruise, however, due to some urgent family matter I have to cancelled that.)
Look forward to seeing you then!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #43
Texan920
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixieM View Post
Look forward to seeing you then!
TrixieM,

Likewise, this is one of the reason delaying my booking at the first place, however, heard the big holidays DCL could have this service onboard, plus my kids have the school off for a week for Easter, therefore, no miss any days from school. I'm not sure if you are going to the meet n greet or not. I'm sure we will be In the same mass service for sure....hihih .

Take care and hope to see you on board.
Texan920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #44
TrixieM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan920 View Post
TrixieM,

Likewise, this is one of the reason delaying my booking at the first place, however, heard the big holidays DCL could have this service onboard, plus my kids have the school off for a week for Easter, therefore, no miss any days from school. I'm not sure if you are going to the meet n greet or not. I'm sure we will be In the same mass service for sure....hihih .

Take care and hope to see you on board.
Hi Annie,

We're with you. We wouldn't have scheduled an Easter cruise without confirming we could make it to Mass. Also, this will be spring break week for us. We are planning to go to the DIS meet and will will look for you there.

Best wishes!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #45
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I'm curious, would anyone happen to know if Disney provides a non denominational Christian service for those who observe Ash Wednesday, and Easter but are not of the Catholic faith? (there are us Protestants after all, lol!)
We were not there during those holidays but when we were on the Magic they had a nondenominational service on Sunday.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: