Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
CoachT
Earning My Ears

AKL Club or DVC AK Club

Ive read that if you want the Arusha view the best rooms are on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floor. However DVC Club at AK is on the 5th and 6th I believe. Being that high from the animals would it be worth it to pay alot extra and stay less at WDW to have a better view of the animals? Or is the view on the 6th floor still awesome enough to save a huge junk of change and maybe stay 3 extra nights. This is for my honeymoon and AKL, with having animals right outside your balcony is one of the main reason were thinking about WDW.
CoachT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
chabs
DIS Veteran

The last time we stayed club at the AKL, they did not have any rooms available on the club floor, so they put us on the 4th. You could put in a request for the 4th floor with the IPO. Not guaranteed, but worth a try.
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

If I am reading this correctly, it is less expensive to stay DVC club? If so, request a Sunset Savanna view and you will see all of the same animals as at the Arusha view. We were in AKL Jambo on Kudu Trail with an amazing Sunset Savanna view and our view also included Kidani. We were on the fourth floor and were able to get a number of great pics!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

I think there are only 6 DVC CL rooms at AKL so if you don't own DVC at AKL you will unlikely be able to book it.

Views from 4th floor standard CL rooms are fine. Before I stayed there I was thinking it would be a pain to be on the 4th floor and the lounge on another floor but it really wasn't a big deal. LOVED doing the Sunrise Safari!
lovesdumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachT View Post
Ive read that if you want the Arusha view the best rooms are on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floor. However DVC Club at AK is on the 5th and 6th I believe. Being that high from the animals would it be worth it to pay alot extra and stay less at WDW to have a better view of the animals? Or is the view on the 6th floor still awesome enough to save a huge junk of change and maybe stay 3 extra nights. This is for my honeymoon and AKL, with having animals right outside your balcony is one of the main reason were thinking about WDW.
DVC villas are on the fifth and sixth floors at Jambo House. The fifth floor are all savanna and standard villas. The sixth floor are the Concierge villas (five two bedroom lockoffs with three savanna and two pool views). It is very difficult to get one of the five two bedroom lockoffs or any combination of them (a lockoff is a combination of a studio and a one bedroom villa). So if a one bedroom is booked, that may only leave four two bedroom lockoffs. The savanna view is somewhat blocked on the sixth floor villas (roof overhang). You don't book the DVC Concierge villas for the view. You book them for the lounge access and other perks like daily full cleaning, ability to book the sunrise safari, evening turn down service.

The concierge villas usually get booked at 11 months out by members who own at AKV. So they seldom come available for cash reservations through Disney Reservation Center.

You cannot request a view for the concierge villas. You get what you get.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso
If I am reading this correctly, it is less expensive to stay DVC club? If so, request a Sunset Savanna view and you will see all of the same animals as at the Arusha view. We were in AKL Jambo on Kudu Trail with an amazing Sunset Savanna view and our view also included Kidani. We were on the fourth floor and were able to get a number of great pics!
Can someone explain to me why 'Arusha View' was an option for me when I did on-line check in last week? We are only getting a standard pool view room in Jambo? I could only pick two options, so I chose 'highest possible floor' and 'close to bus/lobby'.

If I had chosen Arushka View..... I wouldn't have actually seen the Savannah, right ? So why is it even a choice? I was a little confused by it.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog

Can someone explain to me why 'Arusha View' was an option for me when I did on-line check in last week? We are only getting a standard pool view room in Jambo? I could only pick two options, so I chose 'highest possible floor' and 'close to bus/lobby'.

If I had chosen Arushka View..... I wouldn't have actually seen the Savannah, right ? So why is it even a choice? I was a little confused by it.
I'm so sorry I just realized I posted in the wrong area.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
momof2disprincesses
I love my INCREDIBLE family!!!

Location: Appleton, WI (most of the year). AKV is our "new" home!

We are DVC members who own at AKV. We stayed for 4 nights right before New Year's in a studio club level room. We were on the 6th floor (where the lounge is) and did have a savanna view.

Here is a photo of our view.

We did see 1 giraffe hiding amongst the trees once for a brief time. We also saw 2 zebras and a lot of what the animal in the picture is, but there were many times when there were NO animals in this area.

We LOVED the club level and all the wonderful amenities but I would not count on 6th floor DVC rooms for a savanna view.

If you want to see more of the club level offerings and a million photos of the sunrise safari, I'm finishing up my trip report here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041567
34 trips...SO FAR! June 1989-Honeymoon! August 2002-CBR & Disney Wonder!! October 2003-offsite October 2004-offsite August 2005-1st FREE dining & WL Jan. 2006-WDW, 2nd Disney cruise & Nick Hotel! May 2006-POP adults only Aug. 2006-POP & 2nd FREE dining! Christmas 2006-POFQ April 2007-Easter at Pop Aug. 2007-3rd Free dining at Pop Sept. 2007-first trip to Disneyland! Feb. 2008- Beach Club, DCL & Pop ~ joined DVC! Sept. 2008 - 4th FREE dining! - POFQ Oct. 2008 - SSR & MNSSHP! Christmas 2008 - All Star Sports & FREE dining! June 2009 - Kidani Village for our 20th anniversary July 4th, 2009 at Pop!Aug. 09 - Pop again! Sept. 2009 - POFQ and 6th FREE dining Halloween 2009 at Kidani June 2010 Kidani for 2 graduations & a marriage proposal.Free dining & Halloween at Pop CenturyChristmas and New Year's 2010 - BCV & AKV Spring break 2011 at Old Key West June 2011 Celebrating 22 years of marriage at Kidani Halloween 2011 at POFQ with FREE dining for the 8th time Disney Cruise on the Dream April 2012 July 2012 at Kidani & Cocoa Beach Kidani & Jambo house club level Christmas 2012 Spring break 2013 offsite Celebrating 24 years of Happily Ever After at OKWChristmas/New Years 2013 with free dining at Coronado SpringsJune 2014 - Beach Club and Disney Fantasy!

UPCOMING:
10 nights celebrating our empty nest at Kidani!
momof2disprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2disprincesses View Post
We did see 1 giraffe hiding amongst the trees once for a brief time. We also saw 2 zebras and a lot of what the animal in the picture is, but there were many times when there were NO animals in this area.

We LOVED the club level and all the wonderful amenities but I would not count on 6th floor DVC rooms for a savanna view.
A lot of people mention the roof overhang but your photo illustrates what I have always thought is the issue with the view from the 6th floor -- the tree tops obscure a lot of the savanna view. In addition, those rooms face a small alcove of the Sunset Savanna and not too many animals wander into that area. You will see some animals but not like you see from other locations around the resort and especially from lower floors.

OP: Stay AKV Concierge for the service and access to the Sunrise Safari. If your view is the most important thing then book a Savanna View room. If you want both then book AKL Concierge so that you will be on the 4th floor with better views of the animals.

As already mentioned, AKV consists of only five 2BR lockoffs. If every one of those is locked off and rented as a 1BR and a studio, there are at most five studios available. The owner you rent from will need to try to book it the instant the 11-month window opens and even then may not be successful.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
pghsteelerfan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS
A lot of people mention the roof overhang but your photo illustrates what I have always thought is the issue with the view from the 6th floor -- the tree tops obscure a lot of the savanna view. In addition, those rooms face a small alcove of the Sunset Savanna and not too many animals wander into that area. You will see some animals but not like you see from other locations around the resort and especially from lower floors.

OP: Stay AKV Concierge for the service and access to the Sunrise Safari. If your view is the most important thing then book a Savanna View room. If you want both then book AKL Concierge so that you will be on the 4th floor with better views of the animals.

As already mentioned, AKV consists of only five 2BR lockoffs. If every one of those is locked off and rented as a 1BR and a studio, there are at most five studios available. The owner you rent from will need to try to book it the instant the 11-month window opens and even then may not be successful.
We were just confirmed a 2 bedroom lock off at Jambo savanna view. (We're renting points using David's) Does that mean we are CL?
pghsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghsteelerfan View Post
We were just confirmed a 2 bedroom lock off at Jambo savanna view. (We're renting points using David's) Does that mean we are CL?
It sounds like you have a Savanna View room. There are four booking categories in AKV/Jambo House: Value, Standard View, Savanna View and Club Level. There are two booking categories in AKV/Kidani Village: Standard View and Savanna View.

Value rooms are smaller and can have a view of the Sunset Savanna, the pool or the parking lot.

Standard View rooms in Jambo House face the pool or have an obstructed view of a savanna. In Kidani they face the pool, parking areas or have a limited savanna view.

Savanna View rooms face a savanna.

Club Level rooms are on the 6th floor of Jambo House and include access to the Concierge Lounge. They face the pool or an alcove of the Sunset Savanna.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghsteelerfan View Post
You are on the fifth floor.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
pghsteelerfan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

You are on the fifth floor.
Thanks!
pghsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: