Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Phantom smells

Lately I keep smelling cigarette smoke. Nobody here smokes and I smell it inside the house at random times. Does anyone else ever get this? It's so odd.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

It happened to us yesterday. Same here, no one smokes. It was gone this morning. So weird!

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Lately I keep smelling cigarette smoke. Nobody here smokes and I smell it inside the house at random times. Does anyone else ever get this? It's so odd.
This happens to me at work from time to time...we have a non-smoking building (of course) but it sure smells like someone smokes in the ladies room. I really don't think it's possible...I really don't, but I feel like I must be crazy but I really do smell it!

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Happens to me, too. Sometimes, if the window is open it's the smoke from the lady next door who smokes on her patio. Other times, there's no logical explanation. Maybe its a deceased relative coming around. I don't know...
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/diseases-s...e-5782098.html

Apparently this a syndrome and possibly a sign of major medical problem! Please don't think on trying to scare you or think you need to seek medical help , I just thought this was interesting!
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
7165red
DIS Veteran

WOW, that is something, thanks for the link.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Weird. Lately, I often think that I'm smelling cigarette smoke in my home or car and I'm 100% sure that no one smokes.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
WOW, that is something, thanks for the link.
You bet! I hope no one takes offense to it! I seriously enjoy reading up on various disorders and man does Dr. Google make that fun at times
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
momz
DIS Veteran

have you changed your furnace filter lately. maybe you've had some dust burn up in your furnace. It can cause a smell like that.
momz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

We used to experience an odd phantom smell. (Not cigarette smoke) it was more like a nasty, stagnant smell. It as happening in the kitchen, dining room, and up the hall. I never could quite locate it because it wasn't in just one spot AND it was intermittent.

Finally one day I had ENOUGH, I pulled everything out of the kitchen, crawled around and started sniffing like a hound dog or something with a flashlight. I finally discovered it was the refrigerator's drip pan. When the refrigerator ran, it would blow that gosh awful smell out and circulate it. It was a new refrigerator too, like months old. Eventually they replaced it because they could not stop that from happening (after MANY service calls under warranty). The new one... exact same one *knock on wood* has not done anything like that.

In regards to phantom cigarette smoke, I used to live in an apartment and it smelled like smoke all the time...I am assuming it was because the neighbors on both sides were heavy smokers.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Were the previous owners smokers?
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Nolcrest
DIS Veteran

Sometimes when someone in my family eats pickles or salad dressing for some reason it smells like cigarette smoke to me. Go figure.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Phantom odors can have a medical cause (some more severe than others). I had a period where I kept smelling household cleaners and Bandaids. Always those two. And it was really, really strong. Almost overpowering, so I knew it wasn't real from the start. I would have had to hold it directly under my nose to get an odor that strong. And it would fade within minutes, five at most.
My doctor believed it was caused by polyps. I guess they irritate the sensory processes and trigger the brain into "thinking" it smells something. Hard to explain. I started using nasal spray to treat the polyps and haven't had a repeat phantom odor in a couple years.
But, there can be other more serious causes, so if it continues, I would check with a doctor.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Thanks for all the replies. Glad to see I'm not alone. The previous occupants weren't smokers and before that this was a vacation rental home, so again, no smoking. I started thinking my husband had been sneaking a couple, but it's not him.
The medical links are interesting. If I think of it (and it's still happening) I'll mention it to my Dr at my next appointment.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
http://m.voices.yahoo.com/diseases-s...e-5782098.html

Apparently this a syndrome and possibly a sign of major medical problem!
.... wow, that's scary!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: