Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
smartestblonde
Earning My Ears

Sit Down Restaurants without ADR

We will be at WDW for the first time the week of Feb 3 (kids are 6 and 4 1/2)and have ADRs at 1900, Tutto, CRT, and Chef Mickey's. We are also going to Flying Fish without the kids. We are open to trying maybe 1 or 2 other sit downs for any meal and pay out of pocket....are there any good sit down choices that are likely to have walk ups available at this time of year? If not, any suggestions on places to add, maybe one additional breakfast and a lunch or dinner???
smartestblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
partigus
Mouseketeer

what parks are you going to and where are you staying? Any plans to go to DTD for example?
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

coordinate with your park

A few suggestions for lunch or dinner: in MK try excellent CS at Columbia Harbour Inn (across from Haunted Mansion) lovely food and a quiet spacious 2nd story; Character meal breakfast at Crystal Palace, maybe, but get an ADR. The new Be Our Guest in Fantasyland for lunch is another choice you don't need an ADR. In DHS, Toy Story Pizza by the Muppets show. It's amazingly good food and the kids will love everything about the place. In EPCOT, CS in the Electric Umbrella. The food choices in the Land are wonderful but may be a bit chaotic for so many kids!If you are over in World Showcase, a good burger and fries next to the American pavilion hits the spot! Finally, in AK, either Tusker House or FlameTree BBQ will satisfy your hunger without breaking your wallet. Remember to share and not over-order; portion sizes are large and you can always send someone back up to the counter for more. Keep your choices tied to the park you are in--travel from a park to DTD for example, can take 60+ minutes with all the stops and connections. Leisurely breakfasts and even lunches at your resort are always a winner. It isn't necessary to go outside the resort for good food.
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestblonde View Post
We will be at WDW for the first time the week of Feb 3 (kids are 6 and 4 1/2)and have ADRs at 1900, Tutto, CRT, and Chef Mickey's. We are also going to Flying Fish without the kids. We are open to trying maybe 1 or 2 other sit downs for any meal and pay out of pocket....are there any good sit down choices that are likely to have walk ups available at this time of year? If not, any suggestions on places to add, maybe one additional breakfast and a lunch or dinner???
Not been that time of year so am not sure about crowd levels. Usually, if you can eat dinner around 5:00 PM, you will have a better chance of a walkup. As for the breakfast places, the character ones fill and you need the ADRs. There are not other walk up non character breakfast TS in the parks, so you could to a QS there.

As for resorts, I think it depends. Places like Ohana and Kona stay booked, but you can sometimes find a dinner TS at the Turf a club at SSR. You will have more opportunities for dinner at DTD and Epcot where there are lots more restaurants. We plan a few ADRs, but like the spontaneity as well.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
smartestblonde
Earning My Ears

Thanks all....we are staying at the Poly. I was able to snag an ADR at Kona on Friday morning, and I made a reservation at 50's Prime Time, but I'm not sure I will keep that as the food does not look appealing to me....I just heard it was fun. Are there any decent counter places at Hollywood Studio??? My research didn't suggest that. I may try to make an ADR Friday for lunch in DTD as well.
smartestblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are there any decent counter places at Hollywood Studio??? My research didn't suggest that. .
We had never heard good things about the ABC Commissary, but through circumstances and location wound up trying it on our trip last November and we were pleasantly surprised. The salads they have there were great. Don't know about the food other than the salads (except that the kids were happy with their kid's meals), but we will definitely be going back there to get those salads again.

If you are looking for someplace at Epcot, Biergarten often has availability at lunch because it is such a big place, and the kids will probably love the band and the dance floor. DD (6) ranks it right up there with princess meals.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
DEA
DIS Veteran

My wife and I just walked up to Crystal Palace in MK for breakfast about a week and a half ago without an ADR and were seated in about 5 minutes. Restaurant Marrakesh in Epcot is known for having space even last-minute if you want to have a meal there (although I think there are better kids' options at the CS there, Tangierine Café).

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
annej

Mouseketeer

Yak and Yeti in the AK seems to be a good place to get a walk up. We were able to get one the week after Thanksgiving and there were 6 of us. We have never made an ADR there. We try to get there early before which ever meal we are trying to get a table for. Also have had good luck as a walk up at the sci fi in DHS.
1972 - Day trip with mom and dad! 1983 - EPCOT was new! 1988 - 2 day trip 1989 - Day trip on Honeymoon! October 2000 - Off Site January 2003 - WL Nov/Dec 2005 - POR/Poly January 2007 - POLY March 2008 - CR Tower - MK View! September 2008 - offsite/GF!! Feb 2009 - WL !April 2009 - GF - MK View! Nov 2009 - Adult only trip - Poly MK View Jan 2010 - Poly CL - MK View: March 2011 - CR TPV! Jan 2012 - Poly CL! Nov 2012 - POR/BLT Lakeview March 2013 - BWI with DH! October 2013 - BWI with DD and DMom! January 2014 - WL with the Hubby! October 2014 - CR Tower TPV!
Me DH DD21 DS18

annej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
catne
DIS Veteran

The Wave at the Contemporary and The GRand Floridian Cafe at the Grand Floridian are both good, and convenient to Magic Kingdom and The Polynesian (all 3 hotels are on the resort monorail loop so easy to leave Magic Kingdom & hop monorail to one of those hotels for a meal.) We have had good luck getting last minute reservations at both of those restaurants.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks all....we are staying at the Poly. I was able to snag an ADR at Kona on Friday morning, and I made a reservation at 50's Prime Time, but I'm not sure I will keep that as the food does not look appealing to me....I just heard it was fun. Are there any decent counter places at Hollywood Studio??? My research didn't suggest that. I may try to make an ADR Friday for lunch in DTD as well.
We like to walk to Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club for lunch from DHS, although we like 50's, too. You can take a boat if you don't want to walk.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: