Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #106
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 15,126

OK, folks, here is your homework. This weekend, find time to either read or watch The Princess Bride.

If you are an adult under 70 and have not seen the film, you are out of the loop, and are teetering on the edge of fuddy-duddy territory. If you have seen the film, watch it again and enjoy the good times. Watch it with your kids -- they will be running around pretending to wield a sword and quoting "prepare to die!" for at least a week.

The film is one of the funniest of all time, and has probably contributed more common catch-phrases to American culture than any other films besides (perhaps) Casablanca, the Wizard of Oz and the original Star Wars trilogy. The performances are classics, and it is on the AFI's list of 100 Best Film Comedies.

For those of you who have not yet done this assignment, THIS is the real Inigo Montoya:



(That would be Mandy Patinkin, age 34, in a really goofy wig and moustache.)

As to wearing the quote on a plane, meh, no biggie. Total over-reaction. Obscenity on a shirt is one thing, but this wasn't obscene in any language, and it is an easily-explained joke. The FA should have just told the "concerned" passengers that it was a tagline from a movie, and that it referenced a medieval sword duel.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #107
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!
 
hiwaygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: a long long way from home
Posts: 15,794

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
No. I have every right to go to whoever I want and say your shirt is rude or offends me. That might be rude to you, but it's nowhere near an infringement of your "rights". If in a business, it's up to the business to decide if they want to do anything. If they decide to ask you to change your clothes or refuse you business, that's still not an infringement on your rights.

And if a business (say Disney) said "Either change clothes or leave", you'd simply say "you don't have to look"? I'd agree with you if you're out in public.
You have every right to approach someone and tell them their shirt is rude/offensive whatever and they have every right to punch you. Would you seriously tell someone they stink and you don't like looking at their feet?

What if someone were to tell you they didn't like the way you dressed because you looked like an uptight, close-minded, racist, threatening person and asked you to change your clothes. Would you go and change your clothes? What would you say?

For anyone to determine what is offensive or intimidating to society is presumptious at best. What offends you may not offend me. Who gets to decide?

The business is different because presumably they have rules in place. If the only reason Disney (or any other business) is asking me to leave is because someone else said something, they have to decide who's dollar is more important. Mine or the other persons. If, in fact, the "offensive" material doesn't violate their previously stated rules.
__________________
2005 - Boardwalk club level - Disney Wedding
2008 - Polynesian club level- Thank you David!!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #108
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!
 
hiwaygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: a long long way from home
Posts: 15,794

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I think you are reading way, way, way, more into this than there really is. No one demanded that he take it off. These people were on a plane and the shirt has a threat printed on it. Now, if you hadn't seen the film, if may make you suspicious, especially on a plane. Sorry but that is just that way it is.
No actually, anyone who thought the shirt was "intimidating" is reading way way way more into this than there really is.

It's a movie quote. On a mass produced t-shirt.

If you let that kind of thing "intimidate" you, you have much bigger problems than a t-shirt.
__________________
2005 - Boardwalk club level - Disney Wedding
2008 - Polynesian club level- Thank you David!!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #109
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran
 
TifffanyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL - an hourish from the mouse!
Posts: 7,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
OK, folks, here is your homework. This weekend, find time to either read or watch The Princess Bride.

If you are an adult under 70 and have not seen the film, you are out of the loop, and are teetering on the edge of fuddy-duddy territory. If you have seen the film, watch it again and enjoy the good times. Watch it with your kids -- they will be running around pretending to wield a sword and quoting "prepare to die!" for at least a week.
Oh oh but what if you have seen it and think it's dumb and have no desire to rewatch it (me)??
__________________
.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #110
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
You have every right to approach someone and tell them their shirt is rude/offensive whatever and they have every right to punch you.
No, sorry they do not. The first is free speech and the second is assault.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #111
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,963

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
You have every right to approach someone and tell them their shirt is rude/offensive whatever and they have every right to punch you. Would you seriously tell someone they stink and you don't like looking at their feet?
Actually, they DON'T have the right to punch me. Then it's assault.

Quote:
What if someone were to tell you they didn't like the way you dressed because you looked like an uptight, close-minded, racist, threatening person and asked you to change your clothes. Would you go and change your clothes? What would you say?
From a stranger? I'd probably ignore them. From someone I know, I might try to argue with them. No, I would not change my clothes. But that wasn't the situation here. It was not a member of the public saying something to the guy, it was the FA, who was representing her employer. Which, as you admit...
Quote:
The business is different because presumably they have rules in place. If the only reason Disney (or any other business) is asking me to leave is because someone else said something, they have to decide who's dollar is more important. Mine or the other persons. If, in fact, the "offensive" material doesn't violate their previously stated rules.
He has the right to wear the shirt.
Any member of the public has the right to be offended or otherwise not like the shirt. They even have the right to ask him to change. They don't have the right to FORCE him to change (which isn't the case in the OP).
The airline (or any business) has the right to ask someone to change because the clothing doesn't fit their "model". If the person refuses (which is their right), the business has the option of refusing service.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #112
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!
 
hiwaygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: a long long way from home
Posts: 15,794

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
No, sorry they do not. The first is free speech and the second is assault.
The first could also be construed as a verbal assault or hate speech.

It all depends on your perspective.
__________________
2005 - Boardwalk club level - Disney Wedding
2008 - Polynesian club level- Thank you David!!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #113
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!
 
hiwaygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: a long long way from home
Posts: 15,794

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
It was not a member of the public saying something to the guy, it was the FA, who was representing her employer. .
Re-read the article. The FA asked him because other passengers found his shirt intimidating.

The company refused to comment. So she wasn't asking him as a representative of her employer.
__________________
2005 - Boardwalk club level - Disney Wedding
2008 - Polynesian club level- Thank you David!!

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #114
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
OK, folks, here is your homework. This weekend, find time to either read or watch The Princess Bride.

If you are an adult under 70 and have not seen the film, you are out of the loop, and are teetering on the edge of fuddy-duddy territory. If you have seen the film, watch it again and enjoy the good times. Watch it with your kids -- they will be running around pretending to wield a sword and quoting "prepare to die!" for at least a week.

The film is one of the funniest of all time, and has probably contributed more common catch-phrases to American culture than any other films besides (perhaps) Casablanca, the Wizard of Oz and the original Star Wars trilogy. The performances are classics, and it is on the AFI's list of 100 Best Film Comedies.

For those of you who have not yet done this assignment, THIS is the real Inigo Montoya:



(That would be Mandy Patinkin, age 34, in a really goofy wig and moustache.)

As to wearing the quote on a plane, meh, no biggie. Total over-reaction. Obscenity on a shirt is one thing, but this wasn't obscene in any language, and it is an easily-explained joke. The FA should have just told the "concerned" passengers that it was a tagline from a movie, and that it referenced a medieval sword duel.
My favorite movie of all time, my kids have been watching it since they were born, we can all quote just about every single line in the movie and it still cracks me up and gives me warm fuzzies when I watch it. I watched it just last week, posted on my FB about how much I love it and had 20 replies in 10 seconds with movie quotes. LOL Then one of my friends said "I've never seen it" and I gasped in despair and said "We MUST plan a movie night soon!" In her defense she isn't one who really watches movies very much at all. I'll be driving and have bad traffic and start yelling "My name is Inigo Montoya, get out of my name or prepare to die" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
Oh oh but what if you have seen it and think it's dumb and have no desire to rewatch it (me)??
Then you should see someone because you clearly have issues...... hahahaha in the interest of not offending you I want you to know I'm kidding. One of my BFF's doesn't like this movie, I just laugh and tell her she's got issues. It's like Napoleon Dynamite, not everyone will like it but those who do know each other.
__________________
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #115
TifffanyD
DIS Veteran
 
TifffanyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL - an hourish from the mouse!
Posts: 7,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
Then you should see someone because you clearly have issues...... hahahaha in the interest of not offending you I want you to know I'm kidding. One of my BFF's doesn't like this movie, I just laugh and tell her she's got issues. It's like Napoleon Dynamite, not everyone will like it but those who do know each other.
I also don't like Star Wars or Godfather (tho I have never watched them entirely)... but I love me some Zoolander and quote that all the time! I guess that would be my Napoleon Dynamite.
__________________
.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #116
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace
 
Tiggeroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Finally back on the sunny Jersey shore
Posts: 12,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
People were bothered by this? Inconceivable!
I do not think you know what this word means
__________________

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #117
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,963

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
Re-read the article. The FA asked him because other passengers found his shirt intimidating.
I got that. But the FA could have ignored the other passengers, or explained the movie reference (assuming she knew it).

Quote:
The company refused to comment. So she wasn't asking him as a representative of her employer.
The first sentence does not equal the second sentence. She WAS representing her employer. Perhaps she made a decision the company didn't agree with. Perhaps the company agrees with her decision but wants the story to fade away. Either way, at the time of the incident, she WAS representing her employer.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #118
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by TifffanyD View Post
I also don't like Star Wars or Godfather (tho I have never watched them entirely)... but I love me some Zoolander and quote that all the time! I guess that would be my Napoleon Dynamite.
"I'm not an ambi-turner" ya, that one kills me too. LOL
But you would know the quote if you saw it on a shirt, I mean "Luke I am your Father" LOL
__________________
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #119
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
The first could also be construed as a verbal assault or hate speech.

It all depends on your perspective.
Telling someone that they find an article of clothing offensive is not a verbal assault or hate speech, no matter how you try to spin it. In any case, neither is illegal by themselves unless the speech is threatening in nature. A punch in the nose in response to someone's first amendment speech - definitely illegal.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #120
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
The first could also be construed as a verbal assault or hate speech.

It all depends on your perspective.
You just lost all credibility. I am 100% sure that if these people who felt intimidated by his shirt were told what this is from, by almost everyone else because apparently everyone but a select few have seen the movie, then they wouldn't have a problem with the shirt. But it was on airplane and it mentioned the word "die". It probably made some people nervous because of that. But you seem to have lost all ability to see clearly on this. YOu are too worried about your rights and everyone else being snotty or they have a much bigger problem. Well sorry I didn't see the movie, but I can guarantee you that I would have not feel intimidated by it after it had been explained to me. Would I still think it was probably a poor choice, yep, but I wouldn't say anything. But I can tell you that your actions would 100% be a poor choice if you punched someone. I think that YOU, are indeed the one with a much bigger problem.

Last edited by mhsjax; 01-25-2013 at 04:24 PM.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.