Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #676
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsb1012
How clever of them and how unfair to those that book in advance!
Given how heavily restricted the fare is, I don't think it's unfair at all. If one wants the privilege of assured reservations for cabanas, Palo, nursery, etc, one pays for the privilege of concierge. No one calls that unfair. Paying for the privilege of knowing exactly when you will be sailing and exactly which room or specific category you will be in, plus the flexibility to move or change those things, is also not unfair. It's a choice.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #677
Bsb1012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
I'm about to go on my 3rd cruise, and I don't believe I will ever pay full price for a cruise. I'm flexible, I don't care which cabin I'm in, and I don't think I could ever book a cruise a YEAR away! I'm just too impatient to go.

So I wait for the VGT or FL rates or some other deal and adjust to the deal. Leave a day earlier or out of Miami and not PC. However, if you need a certain cruise, NYE or Christmas, 4th of July in Alaska, spring break, you're probably going to have to pay the full rate. I know there won't be FL rates for spring break and I'm okay with that.

Nancy
I totally understand! I'm impatient too!!! I wish I could be flexible, but I work at a high school and the only real time off is summer... so a "little" flexible, but not alot! I'm envious!
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #678
Luet02
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsb1012 View Post
I totally understand! I'm impatient too!!! I wish I could be flexible, but I work at a high school and the only real time off is summer... so a "little" flexible, but not alot! I'm envious!

I may be wrong about this, but I believe that you could always rebook your cruise as a VGT, or whatever, and get the difference back on your original amount, if a deal came up after you pre-booked. (For example: If you paid $6000 total for a 4C cabin, and then a VGT total price of $4000 came up at a later date, you could rebook the cruise as a VGT, get $2000 back, and still have a cabin on the same cruise, but it may not be as nice a cabin) HTH.

Me , DH , DS(8) , DS(4) , DS(1)
Luet02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #679
s232271
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsb1012 View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I get it now!!! So basically if you REALLY want to go, you better book in advance, otherwise take your chances on a VGT and wait to book and HOPE they offer those rates on the day you need to pay in full. How clever of them and how unfair to those that book in advance! I paid nearly $6000 for this cruise and if I waited I could have maybe got it for under $3000? I understand you are taking a chance, but man oh man!
from what i have seen it's only offered on sailings that seem to have many cabins left, not on nearly sold out crusies, so it's a way for the cruise line to entice people to sail I suppose....not a mean thing.
s232271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #680
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luet02

I may be wrong about this, but I believe that you could always rebook your cruise as a VGT, or whatever, and get the difference back on your original amount, if a deal came up after you pre-booked. (For example: If you paid $6000 total for a 4C cabin, and then a VGT total price of $4000 came up at a later date, you could rebook the cruise as a VGT, get $2000 back, and still have a cabin on the same cruise, but it may not be as nice a cabin) HTH.
You would get the $2000 back minus whatever the penalty is, because usually the *GT rates are released after the PIF date. It depends on the cruise whether the discount is high enough to justify the lost deposit, or in cases closer to the sail date, part of the fare as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #681
s232271
Mouseketeer

I guess it depends on what catagory you are in now and when the GT rates show up.....

If you cancel within this period:

Suites/concierge staterooms:
45 + Days prior to sail
Loss of Deposit per guest.

Non-suites/concierge staterooms :
74 - 45 Days prior to sail
Loss of Deposit per guest.

All Categories:
44 - 30 Days prior to sail
50% of vacation price per guest

All Categories:
29 - 15 Days prior to sail
75% of vacation price per guest

All Categories:
14 Days or less before sailing
No refund

Last edited by s232271; 01-29-2013 at 06:05 AM.
s232271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #682
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luet02 View Post
Not quite as simple as this. If a *GT rate comes up BEFORE your paid in full date then yes, you would have to CANCEL that first reservation (not modify it to a #GT) and book the *GT (pay in full at time of booking and wait for the refund on the other cruise).

But, if *GT rate comes out AFTER the penalty period starts and you still want to book the *GT then you would have to cancel your current reservation and take the hit on whatever the penalty is for cancelling. Might not be worth it to cancel and rebook.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #683
Bsb1012
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the information! I've been PIF for a while now, even though my PIF date isn't until March sometime. I don't want to take the risk of cancelling and rebooking for a cheaper rate even though this cruise is the most expensive cruise I've been on to date! Nobody does it better than Disney I've been looking forward to this cruise since I first heard they were going to Greece!

However, my next cruise, I may wait to book and see if I can get a better rate I know I'm taking a chance, it's just that with this one, I didn't want to take the risk. Thanks again everyone! I love this board!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #684
Hannah0811
Earning My Ears

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT, 2/3/13 Dream
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 11
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 4C 7628
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Very happy with the assignment! Full verandah great location!
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? N/A
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 68 days

July 2005 Pop Century December 2006 Pop Century January 2008 All Star Sports August 2009 Wilderness Lodge December 2009 Pop Century July 2010 All Star Music And many Summer Day trips from Daytona Beach

Disney Cruise
2005 July Disney Wonder 2008 January Disney Wonder
2013 February Disney Dream upcoming
Hannah0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #685
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship?*
Booked VGT on the 1/26/13 sailing of the Fantasy .
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room?*12
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get?*7602, I think that's Category 4C.
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location?*Happy.
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together?*N/A
#6. How many days before departure date did you book?About 60 days.

Notes: We originally had room 10600 Cat 4a, which we booked day one with on board discount for 4970.00. A few days before the pay in full date we decided to switch to this VGT rate for 3781.00 for 2 adults 2 kids. We thought it would be worth the risk if we could get anywhere near the Cat we had originally and save the 1200.00. Since we ended up with a Cat 4c, we think it paid off. Although any verandah would have been fine by us. We leave in 3 days for a precruise week at WDW.
I'm confused... I thought they wouldn't release vgt or any _gt rates until AFTER the PIF date? Thanks!
Munkamamacallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #686
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Can we add another question

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT, 2/3/13 Dream
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 11
#3 What category room did you book?
#4. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 4C 7628
#5. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Very happy with the assignment! Full verandah great location!
#6. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? N/A
#7. How many days before departure date did you book? 68 days
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #687
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy
#3 What category room did you book?
This is the *GT thread, not the GTY thread, so specific category doesn't apply. No one would be able to answer it. The general room type booked (inside, oceanview, verandah) is answered in question #1.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #688
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Oops sorry.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #689
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

I am a planner, but the VGT rate was too good to pass up (last minute trip). We're 23 days out and waiting...
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #690
Munkamamacallie
Mouseketeer

Question about IGT OGT VGT

Can someone tell me if DCL has a history of offering IGT, OGT or VGT rates during the summer? Thanks in advance for your help!
Munkamamacallie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: