Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

Luau or Hoop-Dee-Do or....

Current plans for mom, dad and turning-5 year old daughter:

~CRT for breakfast on birthday
~Pirates and Pals Cruise the night before
~non-ADR counter service lunch at Be our Guest
~The Wave at Contemporary for dinner
~planning on counter service and lots of snacks brought in: she has allergies that are hard to work around snack food, we are not big sit down meal/fancy eaters.
~we have done Crystal Palace and don't care to do it again

I want to add one more dining experience and we have never done either of the above. Or suggest something else for us. It doesn't have to be characters, actually she is not that big a Mickey fan (prefers peter Pan, Toy Story, Monsters Inc, princesses) so several don't really interest us.

Would I be better off spending this same kind of money at The Land, Coral Reef, 1900 Park Faire with the stepsisters, paying for a Fantasmic package (we are planning on seeing F! but heard the food choices are not that good and sit down is not really our style).
sunnydays28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

You've got some wonderful experiences planned for your trip! We've done both of those dinner shows, and our preference is slightly to Hoop dee do.
If you choose the Luau, I recommend doing the later seating if possible. The fire show at night is breath taking!
1900 Park Fare is great, too! The step sisters really ham it up.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
DVCMikey
DIS Veteran

As far as overall, I would say go with hoop dee doo. Its a great show, I believe its far better than the Luau.

However, the food at the Luau is better in my opinion. The ribs are like fall off the bone and the desserts were really good from what I remember.

HDD is my favorite though. I would go with that any day of the week.
DVCMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
annej

Mouseketeer

We have done both. Liked the food better at the Luau but the Hoop de doo is a GREAT show. My teenage son even laughed and got into the spirit of it. Lots of fun and your DD might like Fort Wilderness. She can walk to the barns to see the horses. My DD20 loves that part.
1972 - Day trip with mom and dad! 1983 - EPCOT was new! 1988 - 2 day trip 1989 - Day trip on Honeymoon! October 2000 - Off Site January 2003 - WL Nov/Dec 2005 - POR/Poly January 2007 - POLY March 2008 - CR Tower - MK View! September 2008 - offsite/GF!! Feb 2009 - WL !April 2009 - GF - MK View! Nov 2009 - Adult only trip - Poly MK View Jan 2010 - Poly CL - MK View: March 2011 - CR TPV! Jan 2012 - Poly CL! Nov 2012 - POR/BLT Lakeview March 2013 - BWI with DH! October 2013 - BWI with DD and DMom! January 2014 - WL with the Hubby! October 2014 - CR Tower TPV!
Me DH DD21 DS18

annej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I would highly recommend the HDDR. It is great.
The food is good "Down Home Cooking" and all you care to eat. It is corn bread, salad, fried chicken, ribs, mashed potates, beans, and strawberry shortcake. Tax, and Tip are included, as are all your beverages including unlimited beer, wine and sangria.
The show is a high energy Western theme revue with lots of singing, dancing, corny jokes and audience participation.
I have been with my enjoy family, my adult DS and grandkids the age of your daughter and all adults 30ish to 60ish and we had a BLAST each time.
Enjoy
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
bdcp
DIS Veteran

I prefer Hoop De Doo and I think kids would too. It's hokey, corny and somewhat audience directed since the performers come into the audience and interact with a few people directly. It holds kids attention plus the menu is something most kids would like. We saw the Luau first, then HDDR a few years later. We went to HDDR again on our last trip because we felt it was so much better.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by annej View Post
We have done both. Liked the food better at the Luau but the Hoop de doo is a GREAT show. My teenage son even laughed and got into the spirit of it. Lots of fun and your DD might like Fort Wilderness. She can walk to the barns to see the horses. My DD20 loves that part.
ooh, I didn't take that into consideration, is it a earthy-horsey environment, like you can smell the horses, hay, etc. or is it far away? My husband is highly extremely allergic to horse, if it is in the air or the person next to him has in on their clothing he will have an immediate reaction and we will have to leave.

Hmm, daughter has food allergies so this menu looks the easiest to work around but we don't like beans and friend chicken, so more to think about. I know we are paying for the whole experience but I do want to enjoy the food.

Do either give special attention for birthdays, as we will be there for my daughter's 5th.
sunnydays28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
annej

Mouseketeer

The barn is far from the venue where the show is held. there are horses around as they give cart rides and such. My daughter is allergic to hay and dust but had no problems with any of it there.
1972 - Day trip with mom and dad! 1983 - EPCOT was new! 1988 - 2 day trip 1989 - Day trip on Honeymoon! October 2000 - Off Site January 2003 - WL Nov/Dec 2005 - POR/Poly January 2007 - POLY March 2008 - CR Tower - MK View! September 2008 - offsite/GF!! Feb 2009 - WL !April 2009 - GF - MK View! Nov 2009 - Adult only trip - Poly MK View Jan 2010 - Poly CL - MK View: March 2011 - CR TPV! Jan 2012 - Poly CL! Nov 2012 - POR/BLT Lakeview March 2013 - BWI with DH! October 2013 - BWI with DD and DMom! January 2014 - WL with the Hubby! October 2014 - CR Tower TPV!
Me DH DD21 DS18

annej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

HDD is great. Even my then sulky teenager enjoys it.
I never eat fried chicken but theirs is amazing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: